Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2015 5:06:58 PM EDT
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/07/17/university-michigan-open-carry-lawsuit-joshua-wade/30306373/

An Ann Arbor resident is suing the University of Michigan after being denied a permit to open carry a gun on campus.

Joshua Wade charges in the lawsuit that the university is in violation of the state and U.S. Constitution by banning him and others from being allowed to open carry on the Ann Arbor campus.

Wade filed the lawsuit in the state’s Court of Claims in June.

"Mr. Wade lives and works in Ann Arbor and is often near the U-M campus," his attorney, Steven Dulan, told the Free Press. "He wants to make it clear that U-M ... must comply with state law."

Wade’s lawuit is the latest in a series of lawsuits against schools from people seeking to carry weapons on school grounds, including suits against the Clio school district and the Ann Arbor school district. In the spring, Wade open carried a handgun into a choir concert at Ann Arbor’s Pioneer High School. That prompted a series of policy changes from the school board banning all weapons from school grounds, which resulted in a lawsuit filed by another resident.

U-M has a similiar ban. Its policy says no weapons can be carried on U-M campuses by anyone other than law enforcement or the military. It also offers exceptions for education purposes. The university’s policy also says the director of public safety can issue a waiver allowing someone to carry a weapon on campus "based on extraordinary circumstances.”
In early September, Wade applied for such a waiver, his lawsuit states. It was denied by the university’s chief of police.

The Michigan Constitution "states that the right of the poeple to keep and bear arms for the defencse of themselves and of the state shall not be violated,” Wade’s suit says, noting the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution also "protects the individual right of the people to keep and bear arms.”

Wade is asking the court to strike down the weapons ban.

"The ordinance amounts to a restriction on a person’s ability to possess a firearm.”

The university said the ban is a safety matter.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Good.

U of M has no legal authority to do what they are doing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]
If I understand correctly, u of m falls outside the K-12 laws that allow open carry with a CPL. School districts fall under the state constitution and pre-emption hence the reason they can't just make their own policies. U of M would be considered the same as Starbucks and Walmart concerning carrying of weapons and can allow them or not. The suck part is campus is so large, one has a hard time knowing if they are on the campus property or not at any given time.

I don't like the current set up either and would love to see it get changed but have no real hope that it will be.

Since I'm no lawyer, how I understand the current law could be flawed. Guess we will now know for sure once this is decided.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#3]
As I understand it, U of M is a public university and thus falls under preemption.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Under an obscure and hard to follow part of state law, the public universities are not considered "a local unit of government", so they can go to court and say pre-emption does not apply to them. The real question is whether the state constitution does. Article 1, Sec. 6 states:
"Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state."

Can the universities go to court and claim they are exempt from that?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MCL  18.1115 Definitions; I to U.

Sec. 115.

(1) "Institution of higher education" or "university" means a state supported 4-year college or university.

(5) "Unit of local government" means a political subdivision of this state, including school districts, community college districts, intermediate school districts, cities, villages, townships, counties, and authorities, if the political subdivision has as its primary purpose the providing of local governmental service for citizens in a geographically limited area of the state and has the power to act primarily on behalf of that area.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As I understand it, U of M is a public university and thus falls under preemption.
View Quote

A public university, yes. Falls under preemption, no.

Really hope the courts tell me I'm wrong but I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to do so.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#6]
MSU, UM and WSU have special status in the MI Constitution and elect their Board of Regents. Since they are elected the state preemption law does not apply to Michigan State University, University of Michigan and Wayne State University. They can pass Ordinances that ban the carry of firearms anywhere on their campus.

You can’t carry on any property of the University of Michigan or Wayne State University even with a valid permit/license to carry in the state of Michigan. Michigan State University follows state law and you can have a firearm on you and in your vehicle as long as you do not go into any building on campus if you have a valid permit/license to carry in Michigan.

If Major Streets or Roads travel through the Univ. of MI or Wayne State Univ. you can drive using these streets roads in your travels if you do not stop on Campus. That is the understanding I have received. Do use caution when traveling through Univ. of MI and Wayne State Univ. Property. They have the legal authority to pass ordinances that ban the carrying of firearms on their property.

Info from handgunlaw.us if that matters at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top