Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 9:48:43 PM EDT
What are the rules if a dog escapes its yard and attacks me and/or my dog while I'm out for a walk with her?  I'm guessing if I shot the dog I wouldn't be prosecuted, but I could expect to be sued by the owner?  Would this be the time and place for a warning shot?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you considered non-lethal options?  Pepper spray, etc?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, clipping some pepper spray on the leash might not be a bad idea at all.  Added benefit of protection for the wife and kids if they're walking her without me, too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#3]
If you go with the pepper spray route, remember you need special spray made for dogs, as human pepper spray will not work the same.

I suggest Sabre Red's spray as it has a much better range than MACE's spray and is much easier to use.

As for self defense, Michigan allows you to use force against an animal that is menacing you without criminal prosecution, however there is no civil protection and most incidents where the owners make themselves known end up in court.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Luckily in michigan this is cut and dry. This law is VERY clear...  you dont even need to prove it was going to kill you.  If a dog attacks a person you can shoot it with zero consequences.   State law will always trump any local BS discharging a firearm law also...

287.279 Killing of dog pursuing, worrying, or wounding livestock or poultry, or attacking person; damages for trespass; effect of license tag.
Sec. 19.

Any person including a law enforcement officer may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing, worrying, or wounding any livestock or poultry or attacking persons, and there shall be no liability on such person in damages or otherwise, for such killing.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#6]
You can be civilly sued for anything.  The trick is that their lawsuit will not stick if you were in the right.  

You can always counter-sue the hell out of for various things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top