Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2015 11:20:59 PM EDT
hey guys I'm looking for parking for Nichols Arboretum in Ann Arbor near the hospital complex. I used to fish the streatch of the Huron that runs through there decades ago and I'm sure the parking situation has changed. Seems all the lots are owned by U of M and need a permit. Other than that there are some cheap structures associated with the Hospital and a short walk to the river but I would feel bad if I took a spot to go fishing that a family could use to visit a loved one in the hospital etc. There appears to be very little on street parking in the area.

If anyone is familiar for the parking situation and has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
J-
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
hey guys I'm looking for parking for Nichols Arboretum in Ann Arbor near the hospital complex. I used to fish the streatch of the Huron that runs through there decades ago and I'm sure the parking situation has changed. Seems all the lots are owned by U of M and need a permit. Other than that there are some cheap structures associated with the Hospital and a short walk to the river but I would feel bad if I took a spot to go fishing that a family could use to visit a loved one in the hospital etc. There appears to be very little on street parking in the area.

If anyone is familiar for the parking situation and has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
J-
View Quote

I went to UM from 2008 - 2012. I'm very familiar with the area as I lived in The Hill neighborhood for most of my time there. You are correct in that there isn't much parking, and definitely not much street parking.

The Mary Markley dormitory parking lot on Washington Heights just west of the Arb's entrance is open on weekends for non-permit holders. You should have no problem parking there during the summer.

Failing that, there are the 2 parking structures on E Medical Center Dr. I believe the charge a fee, but I've never seen them full. I wouldn't worry about taking up a space.

Although it's a longer walk, many of the sidestreets south off of Geddes Rd have street parking and there is the south entrance to the Arb along Geddes between Oxford and Oswego. Check like Elm, Walnut, Linden and South University over there.

I suppose you could always attempt the commuter lots on Fuller Road and take the blue UM Commuter South bus to Markley stop and walk from there.

You could also look at Gallup Park over on Fuller and Huron Parkway, although it's not the Arb.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I went to UM from 2008 - 2012. I'm very familiar with the area as I lived in The Hill neighborhood for most of my time there. You are correct in that there isn't much parking, and definitely not much street parking.

The Mary Markley dormitory parking lot on Washington Heights just west of the Arb's entrance is open on weekends for non-permit holders. You should have no problem parking there during the summer.

Failing that, there are the 2 parking structures on E Medical Center Dr. I believe the charge a fee, but I've never seen them full. I wouldn't worry about taking up a space.

Although it's a longer walk, many of the sidestreets south off of Geddes Rd have street parking and there is the south entrance to the Arb along Geddes between Oxford and Oswego. Check like Elm, Walnut, Linden and South University over there.

I suppose you could always attempt the commuter lots on Fuller Road and take the blue UM Commuter South bus to Markley stop and walk from there.

You could also look at Gallup Park over on Fuller and Huron Parkway, although it's not the Arb.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
J-

Cool thanks for the info.

J-
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I should add that if you're looking to park in a University owned surface lot, like the Markley lot, read the signs at the entrance. They will say when permits are required. Many don't enforce permits during evenings and weekends. It's always good to read the signs anyways.

And when I was there, parking tickets were only $10 for parking meters and $25 for university lots. We were never too worried about screwing up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:38:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I should add that if you're looking to park in a University owned surface lot, like the Markley lot, read the signs at the entrance. They will say when permits are required. Many don't enforce permits during evenings and weekends. It's always good to read the signs anyways.

And when I was there, parking tickets were only $10 for parking meters and $25 for university lots. We were never too worried about screwing up.
View Quote

Copy, thanks

J-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top