Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2015 6:20:11 PM EDT
how do I do it , never sold a gun before ,or should I just use my ffl ? seems safer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If they are out of state you have to use a FFL to trans it to a FFL in the buyers state.

In state, non-cpl holder, they go to the PD and get a purchase permit. They come to you, pay you, and you fill it out with your info and the gun info. You keep a copy. They turn a copy back in to the PD. Done. Easy.

If your worried about the buyer not legally allowed to have a pistol, don't be, the PD will run a check on them. If your worried about personal safety during a gun sale, do it at a public place. Or, bring a buddy but have them stay in the car.

Sterling Heights PD just released this about being a "Safe Zone" for online transactions. Don't know how they would feel about gun sales in their lobby or parking lot though.

The City of Sterling Heights and the Sterling Heights Police Department announced today the Police Department lobby and the parking lot located in front of the Department is now available to be used by buyers and sellers who connect on Craigslist and other online markets. The goal of this Craigslist “Safe Zone” designation is to help prevent any potential crimes that could occur and keep residents of Sterling Heights safe if they choose to engage in online transactions with strangers.

In terms of transaction procedures, police personnel may not participate or act as official witnesses in the transactions. They are also not available for legal advice or to settle disputes.

The SHPD also offers the following safety tips for completing online transactions:
• Conduct transactions with local buyers/sellers
• Do not go to a transaction alone
• Make sure someone is aware of the transaction details
• Insist on meeting in a public place or “Safe Zone”
• Do not go into someone else’s house, and do not allow them into yours
• Complete the transaction during daylight hours
• Only use cash or money orders to complete your transaction
• Trust your instincts, if it sounds like a scam it probably is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought they did away with purchase permits that's part of what confused me
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought they did away with purchase permits that's part of what confused me
View Quote

No purchase permit if you buy through an FFL that does a background check.  You need  purchase permit if buying from a private individual.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#4]
If he is selling the pistol to a person from out of state the pistol can not be transferred in Michigan even through a Michigan FFL.  It would need to be shipped to a receiving FFL in the home state. Right?

If buyer and seller are both Michigan residents, buyer without a CPL needs to obtain purchase permit?

Still no need for FFL if buyer obtains purchase permit. Safer?  Buyer has a background check done by local police department before obtaining permit, don't they?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If he is selling the pistol to a person from out of state the pistol can not be transferred in Michigan even through a Michigan FFL.  It would need to be shipped to a receiving FFL in the home state. Right?

If buyer and seller are both Michigan residents, buyer without a CPL needs to obtain purchase permit?

Still no need for FFL if buyer obtains purchase permit. Safer?  Buyer has a background check done by local police department before obtaining permit, don't they?
View Quote

Right.

Yes.

Yes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Right.

Yes.

Yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right.

Yes.

Yes.

Correct on all 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top