Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2015 12:15:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Well since you already can't conceal carry there except in your car, but only when picking up or dropping off your kid, or in the parking lot, and open carry is the only way to actually carry in to the school itself, your argument seems to be "don't do it, or they might ban it and you won't be able to do it."

As far as this "resolution," Ann Arbor can send all the resolutions they want, they mean jack and shit, only the legislature can ban anything and that is not happening, recent history actually suggests the exact opposite.  Other liberal cities have previously sent similar "resolutions" like Royal Oak and Birmingham, they get back a form letter politely telling them to piss off.  These resolutions mean nothing and are just for show to make the liberals feel like they are "doing something," and placating their liberal anti gun base.

"Stop, or I'll write a letter telling you how angry I am!"
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Made the front page of the Detroit Free Press this morning.

They are calling for a closing of the "loophole" now.

Could get interesting. Not sure how this will play out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

At least to my interpretation of this, firearms are verboten on school properties anyway due to this federal law. OC, CPL or not.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

At least to my interpretation of this, firearms are verboten on school properties anyway due to this federal law. OC, CPL or not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, the exceptions to the act permit it:
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

Michigan's CPL falls under that, and CPL holders are allowed to OC on school property.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 12:55:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Michigan's CPL falls under that, and CPL holders are allowed to OC on school property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

Technically the purchase permit even allows that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:26:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true. I hadn't thought about that. Michigan law does describe the pistol permit as a "license to purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol".

However, MCL 750.237a prohibits possession of a firearm on school property except by CPL holders (and a list of other people related to the school or student).

So it's still only legal to possess a pistol on school property if you hold a CPL and open carry.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's true. I hadn't thought about that. Michigan law does describe the pistol permit as a "license to purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol".

However, MCL 750.237a prohibits possession of a firearm on school property except by CPL holders (and a list of other people related to the school or student).

So it's still only legal to possess a pistol on school property if you hold a CPL and open carry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that law, unlike the federal one, applies only to school property, not a magical 1,000 foot circle around it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:00:07 AM EDT
[#8]
It is totally awesome, how we've accumulated the wisdom of thousands of temporary rulemakers, to crush us with rule after inconsistent rule on how we can or cannot exercise the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
A friend of mine is an OC advocate and OC'd into his kid's elementary school. They had kittens and made life hard for his wife from the sounds of it,
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#10]
According to ABC local news, AA wants to make the AA schools special and not follow the law. Sounds like they plan to pass a special law to keep guns out of the schools.

Not sure if they are aware of the preemption rule they need to follow.

I'm going to guess if they pass anything short of the state level, it will be tested quickly.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
According to ABC local news, AA wants to make the AA schools special and not follow the law. Sounds like they plan to pass a special law to keep guns out of the schools.

Not sure if they are aware of the preemption rule they need to follow.

I'm going to guess if they pass anything short of the state level, it will be tested quickly.
View Quote

Hopefully the AA legal staff would be smart enough to prevent the city council from doing something so stupid.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:47:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

On my way to work yesterday morning a Republican in the state legislature who is very pro gun was on the radio. He said he was introducing a bill to ban open carry on school property. He wants to replace it with ccw but either way open has to go because he said to many people were creating panics at schools. That is how it is going to play out.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

On my way to work yesterday morning a Republican in the state legislature who is very pro gun was on the radio. He said he was introducing a bill to ban open carry on school property. He wants to replace it with ccw but either way open has to go because he said to many people were creating panics at schools. That is how it is going to play out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, he's no longer pro-gun, huh? Seems like a silly thing to do on his part.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was Sen. Mike Green who started both the SBR/SBS and the recent CPL gun board elimination bills. He is still pro-gun, just trying to prevent the idiots from ruining it for everyone. He is proposing introducing legislation similar to the bill that Snyder vetoed after Sandy Hook. It would basically change the current no CC zones into no gun zones unless you have a CPL, with additional training (8-16 hours), and CC there.

He's essentially proposing the CPL exemption he proposed back then. It would allow us to CC everywhere and prevent us from scaring the sheeple so much.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It was Sen. Mike Green who started both the SBR/SBS and the recent CPL gun board elimination bills. He is still pro-gun, just trying to prevent the idiots from ruining it for everyone. He is proposing introducing legislation similar to the bill that Snyder vetoed after Sandy Hook. It would basically change the current no CC zones into no gun zones unless you have a CPL, with additional training (8-16 hours), and CC there.

He's essentially proposing the CPL exemption he proposed back then. It would allow us to CC everywhere and prevent us from scaring the sheeple so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And would also effectively be labeling guns and the act of carrying them evil and that the mere sight of one will scar children's minds  It would also serve to criminalize printing.

A better approach would be to simply leave the ban language out and just market it to the antis as a way to end open carry at schools (and it would be the truth as most people who open carry in schools do so simply because it is illegal to conceal carry, I know that's why I have).  With their lack of critical thinking they might just knee jerk support this in to passing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I don't understand is why the "additional training"??? What is the difference of carrying a gun at your work, a school, your garage or a shopping mall besides the physical location?  That's a bunch of crap right there too.   How about these stupid gov't workers work on eliminating laws instead of always creating new laws.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:01:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It would also serve to criminalize printing.
View Quote

As a member of IDGAFWhereIPrint Anonymous, I'm curious where exactly did you learn this?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As a member of IDGAFWhereIPrint Anonymous, I'm curious where exactly did you learn this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It would also serve to criminalize printing.

Hey I belong to the same group!

Just a logical extension, if open carry is illegal they might try to interpret that as absolute concealment being required (I.E. they interpret that printing=OC=illegal) which the way this is written/marketed, specifically to "keep it out of sight" would not be an unexpected interpretation especually when some school sees you printing and freaks out and calls the cops.

Texas has been like this for many years, now that they are getting OC its not a problem, but for decades it was print=open carry=illegal.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What I don't understand is why the "additional training"??? What is the difference of carrying a gun at your work, a school, your garage or a shopping mall besides the physical location?  That's a bunch of crap right there too.   How about these stupid gov't workers work on eliminating laws instead of always creating new laws.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The additional training is probably a bone thrown to the other side of the aisle to make it palatable enough to vote for and show their constituents that they are 'pro gun".
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The additional training is probably a bone thrown to the other side of the aisle to make it palatable enough to vote for and show their constituents that they are 'pro gun".
View Quote

I think that is exactly what it is, but I think compromising out the door is a mistake, hold that back as a concession if needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top