Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 4:25:51 PM EDT
Have a friend who is a Vietnam Veteran and had been diagnosed by the VA for PTSD. He believes he's dealt with it and has been fine for years now, but is worried that he will not be eligible for a Michigan CPL.  Unfortunately, I think he might be right.

Do you guys know of anyone whose CPL application was rejected for a mental diagnosis even though they've got a clean record and never been held insane by a court or committed?

Doesn't seem very fair to me to penalize people who very rationally and sanely seek help for their problems like depression, anxiety, or PTSD. I've noticed Michigan seems to be one of the few states that looks at such things prior to approving a concealed carry license.

What do you guys think?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The wife of an associate had once been diagnosed with some form of mental illness at one time.  From what I understand she had her doctor write her some kind of note and has a CPL.  I suspect it may have been something to the effect that she was not a danger to herself or others and without any use of medication.  No ideas as to the specifics.  They may also have friends within the State Police.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a note from a doctor stating that they are not currently under treatment and not a danger to themselves or others. Then, ask for a review before the county gun board.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe the law states "involuntarily committed" or "judged insane". This implies a hearing took place and professionals assessed the individual and found them incompetent.  PTSD, while it can be debilitating is not in the same class as pschyzophrenia, psychosis, or alzheimers disease. Many persons suffering from PTSD abuse alcohol or drugs which can disqualify them from firearm ownership altogether or if convicted of drunk driving etc. place them in a waiting period based on the date of the offense.

All sorts of people have anxiety or depression issues at some point in their lives and function at a level close 100%. Persons prescribed heavy doses of medication for these problems for long periods of time are probably ineligible if it comes to the attention of the courts. Some of the medication has an effect similar to a six pack in pill form. Not something I want people carrying firearms ingesting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top