Posted: 10/20/2014 5:03:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What time of day will you be crossing?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Word is it's quicker to cross at Port Huron.

Not much personal experience, though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
In my experience, it's always been faster to cross at Port Huron/Sarnia.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ill have my 11 yo daughter with me, do I need anything for her other than her passport?

Thanks!
View Quote

I was thinking that there may be some recommended paperwork when traveling with a child and only one parent so I Googled crossing the border with a child: http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/travelling-with-children/#.VEWaE9R4oxc

You may want to get a letter from your daughter's mother.

I live closer to Port Huron than Detroit.  I always cross in Port Huron.  This afternoon around 4:30, the wait was about 15 minutes to get into Canada.  You never know though.  We've waited in line for up to two hours at the border.  I think the worst was going into New York.  Assuming you will be coming back through Detroit, don't plan on getting through the border in 15 minutes.  That's when it will take 2 hours.

Have a nice trip.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
One more thing.

When you leave DTW at that time of day, traffic will be a mess.

Unless you actually want to stay in Detroit that night, I would suggest getting on 94 East and heading toward Port Huron.

If you look at Google Maps, You will see M-59 north of Mt Clemens.  I think there are lots of hotels in that area and a little farther north where 23 Mile Rd crosses I94.

A little east on 59 from I94 is The Mall at Partridge Creek.  It's an outdoor mall.  If your daughter likes shopping, she'll enjoy it.  There are lots of restaurants on M-59 and on 23 Mile Road.

Let us know if you have any questions.  We can come up with all sorts of answers for you.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The Motel near M59 and Gratiot is a stay away place. Parolees from Macomb County Jail go there when they get out.
The Motels around 23 and Gratiot are not much better. Gratiot is just off I-94

I used to take the ferry from Marine City  to head to Mitchells Bay for ice fishing.,Otherwise Port Huron to Sarnia
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#8]
It's been a few years (last crossing was 2008),  but the best time is late evening,  and using the Ambassador bridge.  The extra drive up to Port Huron turns into a wash with crossing time.  It'll take you longer to drive out of the way than you'll save just taking I-94 to the bridge exits.  

Advice from somebody who has had clear sailing across and severe searches;
Rental cars might not be permitted.  Check your policy with the rental agency...  This has been my #1 no-go for visiting my friends in Ontario.  
Keep the car semi tidy.  The more crap your car has laying around,  the more likely they are to search you.  
Be specific with destination and duration.  If you sound confused or unsure,  they will have more questions for you.  This may lead to a search.
Get a note for all minors.  They made a huge deal about this when I crossed with my brother when I was 18, him 17.  I mean a giant deal.  
If they address your daughter,  let her answer.  They will only get mad if you speak for her.  
Don't mock them when they say "Eh!?".  
If you can find one,  drive across with a hearse.  Fastest crossing both ways I've ever had.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#9]
When crossing with kids you will need a copy of the birth certificate for the child.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I cross only in sarnia.  I cross multiple times per year for business.   Several nice hotels near m-59 and I-94.  Have all your docs in hand when you pull up.  Above all else observe the stop sign at the booth and do not follow the car ahead of you until its been released.   Signs direct this but it's easy to mess up after waiting.   Absolutely have some paperwork from childs mother.  Dad and daughter in a rented car is going to throw a flag up.  I would call ahead of time and ask Canadian customs what they want.  You can call the sarnia customs office directly.  Ask the agent and get thier name just in case.

Also, I cant remember exactly where Burlington is from Toronto but do NOT take the 407 toll road.  Its expensive if you pre pay, robbery if you dont, and damn near bankruptcy by the time hertz goes ahead and bills you for it.

Enjoy the ride though, the 402/401 are beautiful roads.  Mind your speed, they dont play over there  when it comes to speeding.   If you pass through Toronto expect it to take a very long time.  They are top 5 in the world for traffic...

Dont let this scare you.... its beautiful and friendly there.

This im sure is understood,  but no weapons of any kind can go with you.  They have a special process for hunting rifles but it is not as easy as it seems.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On top of her passport?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When crossing with kids you will need a copy of the birth certificate for the child.  

On top of her passport?
Probably not, most kids don't have them so you should be good.  Permission letter from the mother will help.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We arrive at 1600 (we leave at 1545 the day prior )  Its a long way from Alaska

I figure we will go get dinner then.  Debating over nighting in Detroit area or not.

So either late evening or 0800ish
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What time of day will you be crossing?

We arrive at 1600 (we leave at 1545 the day prior )  Its a long way from Alaska

I figure we will go get dinner then.  Debating over nighting in Detroit area or not.

So either late evening or 0800ish

crossing in Port Huron saves about an hour of drive time to Toronto but if you're coming from DTW then its an hour drive up to Port Huron so maybe it doesn't matter.  I would trust Google Maps.
Also, when crossing with the kids, you must have their passport or Birth Certificate.  A good idea is to have a letter from the other parent, a permission slip, with their contact info so customs can verify you aren't absconding (?) with your child.
My kids like to cross on the Blue Water Ferry just South of Port Huron in Marine City.  its incredibly quick and there is no hold up at customs from the commerce based traffic that you often have at the bridge crossings.  YMMV.

-T
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I can tell you for a fact, if you have a PP for your daughter you will not need anything else. Not a note, not a birth cert..nothing.

You can check the camera's going into Canada at the Ambassador Bridge HERE.

You can check the camera's coming back into the US at the Ambassador Bridge HERE.

Wait times are posted HERE coming back into the US at the Ambassador Bridge and the Detroit Canada Tunnel.

ETA:

Be aware, weekends are busy at the Detroit Ambassador Bridge and the Tunnel even more so if there is a NHL, NFL or major concert in Detroit that day. Driving PAST Detroit to hit PH/ Sarnia will take about 45-50 minutes, then you have to deal with the wait times up there...Going into Canada is usually faster unless it is mid day/ early eve Sunday.

If you RON in the Detroit area, you can stay in in Livonia, at 275/ 6 Mile Road area then take I96 to the Ambassador Bridge..it'll take you appx 28 minutes to make it to the 75/ Vernor from there. There will be plenty to eat, shop, do with your daughter. Safe and quiet area..North from the airport by 15-20 minutes.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:41:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I would go Port Huron / Sarnia. I have clients just outside Toronto and this is the way they cross over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top