Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2014 8:31:34 PM EDT
Just looking for more opinions really........gonna call MSP on monday, but I don't like to take their word as gospel.

Got an old beater truck for two-tracking.  The doors are rusted out, so I wanna take them off and throw them away, don't need em anyhow.

Anyone know if there might be any laws regarding this?

Doors come off jeeps....
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Under the Equipment part in the above link is what is needed. Doors are not one of the enumerated items, such as bumper, lights, seat belts, windshield, turn signals, tires, etc. However the law does have the unfit condition for the road section which is up to the officer to write the ticket and ultimatley up to a Judge to deam the vehicle unfit. Like you said there are plenty of road worthy doorless vehciles out there. Jeeps  and road legal dune buggies being some. Hell motorcycles dont have doors. A friend of mine drives his Jeep all the time with the doors off. Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I would recommend keeping the hinges, and the latch mechanism.  Its not hard to weld up a tube frame safety bar using the salvaged parts and you can set the latch to open with either a short lever or a short pull string.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an '88 full size blazer that I drive around all summer with no doors.  Worst I ever got was a local cop looking with the "can he do that" look, but no other action.  I once even had a state trooper yell out "hey you lost your doors" while laughing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure your driver's side mirror stays on the truck too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#6]
The law of gravity for it is...don't lean out...and keep your seat belt on..had to say it...I see jeeps, P/U's and Razor Quad ATV's running around with no doors in Jackson County all the time..no doors but the law is you must wear shoes
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure your driver's side mirror stays on the truck too.
View Quote

Yup, this....  I would trust what MSP says in regards to traffic law stuff.  I know as a former law enforcement officer in MI and a guy who loved to drive doorless with my Jeep, as long as I had a drivers side mirror and a rearview mirror, I was golden.  Keep the hinges on your truck's doors.  I don't know about your truck, but on TJ's, an old Harley Davidson mirror fit the hinges quite nicely.  It was cheap and kept me legal.  It would also depend on where your at as well, private property, state land, etc...
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I am pretty sure a 4" sill is mandatory if you have the doors off a vehicle. All Jeeps, including Cherokees have the high sills.

I also found out on an unrelated note that you can't have offroad lights uncovered above 36" in MI, My buddy and I got pulled over for his roof bar
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I have never been able to find a requirement in MI for a 4" sill, nor have I ever been hassled about it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it's illegal to have doors on your car here in Hastings. Everyone rips them off around here.
View Quote

+1  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top