Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2014 1:22:56 PM EDT
My yard flooded as I live on part of the Bell Creek system in Livonia, never seen the water from the two creeks move up so far and fast. It swalloed up most of my landscaping and our trampoline.

Others have it much worse. A friend of mines sister had to be rescued from her home in Dearborn Heights and I saw the video of Royal Oak..

We drove home from Houghton Lake through most of it, did about 30-50 MPH the whole way on 75 and 23..it really came down when we got home.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#1]
All good here in Macomb Twp. (23 & North Ave. area).

I'm happy for you that your place made it through unscathed, that video clip that you posted would have had me running like Barry Sanders!

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#2]
This was my house in Roseville yesterday. The pic shows the closest the water got to my house before the rain stopped and the water receded.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm happy for you that your place made it through unscathed, that video clip that you posted would have had me running like Barry Sanders!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It would have to be pretty Biblical for the water to make it up to where it would worry me about the house.

Quoted:
This was my house in Roseville yesterday. The pic shows the closest the water got to my house before the rain stopped and the water receded.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg281/Avenger069/c6a94c68-0d9b-4816-a9cd-e43544824165_zps494ad46e.jpg

Glad no damage, grass dries, that's why I don't worry about the back yard with the creeks.

I posted pic's Here for those who are not in GD.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#4]
That was weird to see on TV, in Grand Rapids we had a sprinkling that was it.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Worked last night through all of it, our rig did surprisingly well going through the new water features. I spent half the night in the eastpointe / harper woods area and it was pretty humbling to see 94 turned into a river.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#7]
If you build freeways in ditches, this is what happens.

I was surprised to see 13mile and Vandyke flooded though. That part of the Red Run Drain is pretty deep and usually about empty.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That was weird to see on TV, in Grand Rapids we had a sprinkling that was it.  
View Quote

Yep, a few downpours but nothing like out there.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#9]
It rained all day 54 miles North of Silver Bullet.
It was needed badly. 1/3 of the bracken ferns are yellow now.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#10]
We didn't get much rain in SWMI.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I pumped my basement into my neighbor's pool.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I know I'm a little late to the thread... but I've been a bit busy.

Here in Madison Heights, our sewers went full nuclear.  Sewage was coming up the basement floor drains like a geyser, 2 feet high.  Put on rubber boots and used 5 gallon buckets filled with weights to slow the inflow.  Set up a submersible pump, and the water still rose. I was grabbing items and depending on their importance, was throwing them (literally) up the stairs or was placing them up high. In the end I had 18" of poo water down there.  At the point where stuff was either saved, or already floating I just went out and sat on my tailgate with a six pack, had a beer and offered them up to other bewildered neighbors who were walking around, looking like they were in shock.

Lived in the area all my life (31 years) and this has never happened before.

Spent the past 3 days removing poo soaked items, cleaning what I can and tossing the rest.  Thankfully because of my quick action, I don't believe I lost anything of real value or importance.

Anyone know of any good certified flood restoration businesses that aren't going to make me wait a month to fix my basement?  Most everything is out now, including carpet.  I just don't know what to do with the rest (drywall, studs, sanitation...).  I've been doing the best I can with bleach water, but I'm sure that's not enough.  

Somehow the washer, dryer and water heater still work... but if our insurance covers it, I will be pressing for replacement.  Haven't even tested the HVAC yet though.

Things aren't real good here...
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I pumped my basement into my neighbor's pool.
View Quote

Holy crap dude, why didn't you call for help?

Bet you are glad you have that little Honda powered pump....
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know I'm a little late to the thread... but I've been a bit busy.

Here in Madison Heights, our sewers went full nuclear.  Sewage was coming up the basement floor drains like a geyser, 2 feet high.  Put on rubber boots and used 5 gallon buckets filled with weights to slow the inflow.  Set up a submersible pump, and the water still rose. I was grabbing items and depending on their importance, was throwing them (literally) up the stairs or was placing them up high. In the end I had 18" of poo water down there.  At the point where stuff was either saved, or already floating I just went out and sat on my tailgate with a six pack, had a beer and offered them up to other bewildered neighbors who were walking around, looking like they were in shock.

Lived in the area all my life (31 years) and this has never happened before.

Spent the past 3 days removing poo soaked items, cleaning what I can and tossing the rest.  Thankfully because of my quick action, I don't believe I lost anything of real value or importance.

Anyone know of any good certified flood restoration businesses that aren't going to make me wait a month to fix my basement?  Most everything is out now, including carpet.  I just don't know what to do with the rest (drywall, studs, sanitation...).  I've been doing the best I can with bleach water, but I'm sure that's not enough.  

Somehow the washer, dryer and water heater still work... but if our insurance covers it, I will be pressing for replacement.  Haven't even tested the HVAC yet though.

Things aren't real good here...
View Quote

Be careful-just because your washer etc. work doesn't mean that the motor and other parts aren't quietly rusting and will fail sooner than later. There's a reason insurance companies total flood cars.

Sorry for your trouble...
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Be careful-just because your washer etc. work doesn't mean that the motor and other parts aren't quietly rusting and will fail sooner than later. There's a reason insurance companies total flood cars.

Sorry for your trouble...
View Quote

Thanks.

Yeah, the intention is if we hear back from our insurance, I plan on claiming all the appliances. Washer, dryer, water heater, furnace, freezer. I'm sure these items are dead and they just don't know it yet. (Speaking of the freezer, that things a trooper. Was not unplugged so it continued to run underwater, still works. Amazing)

Ugh, you know those things that you don't think will ever happen to you... They can happen. Don't keep valuable things in your basement, especially near the floor, and make sure your homeowners covers sewage backup.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:43:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Spent a couple days at a friends place in Oak Park helping to clean up their basement. Overheard my buddy's wife on the phone with their insurance company and I guess they're covered for earthquakes and lava flows, but not for flooding.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Drove along 13 mile on Friday, from Mound to Woodward.  Was shocked at the number of homes that had all of their basement stuff out on the front lawn.  Reminded me of Staten Island after Sandy.  I'm guessing that all of those folks had the sewers back up into their basements.  That sucks.

We were blissfully ignorant of everything on the west side - I didn't realize 75 and 696 were closed until Thursday.  Crazy stuff.

We have a pond in our back yard, and a walkout basement.  I think that saves us because the water wants to go into the pond, not my basement.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Happened on my birthday , was at my brothers in lakeport had the week off. With the roads flood I almost couldn't get back to the house . 2 foot of water in my basement where all my ammo was on pallets a lot got wet , wet guns and cases all the furniture down stairs ruined , most electronics survived washer needs a new board . Got the hot water heater working , furnace won't light haven't gotten a chance to do much about that . Seven days off up and down stairs and out to the curb throwing out half the crap I own . Managed to save most photos they won't be perfect but I have em , cleaned a lot of cd, DVDs, games . Xbox is dead pretty sure haven't tried it . Thanks god for the friends and family who really give a shit about you ! Even little thing like bringing you cheeseburgers and shit u need so you can keep working means a lot . Sorry about the crappy writing and spelling ect I'm bruised tired and sore and on the iPhone
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top