Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2014 9:13:59 AM EDT
OK So I wanted to see how far the Lapeer pit was from my new house (It's closer), so I pulled up Google Maps, then just for the hell of it I pulled up the satellite view (the pit is no longer just a blur.)  However I saw something interesting if you travel North past the pit on Roods Lake Road, and make a Right on to Byers Road there are 2 spots to the right of the road that look to have been cleared, and kept mowed down, I checked, that is still State land so it shouldn't be somebodies farm fields so what are they?  Are there 2 more pits?

Also what is that to the North?, logging?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

OK So I wanted to see how far the Lapeer pit was from my new house (It's closer), so I pulled up Google Maps, then just for the hell of it I pulled up the satellite view (the pit is no longer just a blur.) However I saw something interesting if you travel North past the pit on Roods Lake Road, and make a Right on to Byers Road there are 2 spots to the right of the road that look to have been cleared, and kept mowed down, I checked, that is still State land so it shouldn't be somebodies farm fields so what are they? Are there 2 more pits?

Also what is that to the North?, logging?
View Quote

That would be nice! I would be reluctant to go over and start shooting but I this definitely warrants further investigation. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I know they effectively shut down the handgun range that was across the street and a few yards south of the entrance to the Pit. I've wondered about that location of Byers, too. I'd be sure to get clarification about shooting there.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Wasn't there a thread about this a year or two ago? I'll see what I can dig up.

Edit:
Pit 2.0?

Does anyone know the status of the open field near the pit?

Looks like no one ever tried to shoot there, or at least never reported back. But yeah, that's state land.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wasn't there a thread about this a year or two ago? I'll see what I can dig up.

Edit:
Pit 2.0?

Does anyone know the status of the open field near the pit?

Looks like no one ever tried to shoot there, or at least never reported back. But yeah, that's state land.
View Quote

I thought I had an old one, but I couldn't find it, being archived I guess that's why.  I really would still like to know
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone gone there and looked at the land? Feet on the ground?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Bump

Anyone check out that spot yet?

Anyone want some company while heading out there? I'm only 90mins away.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:35:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Both have corn fields present. No easy access per se. Didn't get a good chance to check on backstops. Evidence of clay shooting at pit 3.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Both have corn fields present. No easy access per se. Didn't get a good chance to check on backstops. Evidence of clay shooting at pit 3.
View Quote

Who's growing corn on State Land?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, they were doing that on some posted state land I was on near St. Johns.  The state licenses the land to them or something.

Of course, that guy had tree stands set up and thought it was his own personal hunting area.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:00:36 AM EDT
[#10]
The fields were full of weeds but you could could see recent tractor marks. I figured it was deer feed. Either way the map still shows it as state game land so corn stalks or not shooting should be allowed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I believe the corn is planted by the DNR or a subcontractor. They leave it standing, it's a giant food plot.

Please be careful when blasting away at the pit come October. I'm one of those dummies sitting in a tree downrange.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I believe the corn is planted by the DNR or a subcontractor. They leave it standing, it's a giant food plot.

Please be careful when blasting away at the pit come October. I'm one of those dummies sitting in a tree downrange.
View Quote

Don't hate the Player, Hate The Game.....

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone been to 2 or 3 yet?  Has anyone asked the DNR?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Havnt seen any DNR to ask yet. But like i said there was some recent shells and clays at one of the pits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top