Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 23
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The Tigers have agreed to 2 years of Rajai Davis to platoon in left with Andy Dirks.

Omar Visquel is going to Florida in January to start working on third base with Nick Castellanos before pitchers and catchers show up for Spring Training.

The team is shaping up, probably finished with the position players and rotation. They may make a couple small moves to shore up the bullpen, but that may already be pretty solid.

In 6 weeks this team went from a bunch of sluggers who couldn't catch the ball and ran station to station, to a team of speedsters with an infield projected at about 40 defensive runs saved better.

My main hope for this season is a better Avila. If they can keep Dirks healthy then he will probably be fine. I think Avila has the potential to be a 20 homer guy and I am hoping Wally Joyner can get him squared away. I could live with Avila hitting .220-.230 if he hit 20 homers.

I can't wait for Spring Training.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Tigers going for speed. That is good. God damn, that irritated me so fucking much. When Leyland would get desperate and play small ball for a change, the Tigers did really well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
ya almost last place in stealing base`s, i hear Beniot is gone laso, or gonna be
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Anybody got any scoop on Miggy?

I havn't seen or heard nothing on how he is progressing.

Usually, it's not a good thing when there is no word in the off season.
Then again, keeping everyone else guessing until the last min. and then blowing holes in thier waterline is always fun...

Scoop?

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Then again, keeping everyone else guessing until the last min. and then blowing holes in thier waterline is always fun...

Scoop?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Scoop?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10114554/miguel-cabrera-detroit-tigers-ready-spring-training

Miguel Cabrera,
the two-time reigning American League MVP who had surgery in
mid-November to repair core muscles damaged by a groin tear, will be 100
percent healthy by spring training, Detroit Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski told reporters Monday.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Benoit to Padres..

A person familiar with the situation says the San Diego Padres have agreed with former Detroit Tigers closer Joaquin Benoit on a $15.5 million, two-year contract.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity Wednesday because the deal is pending on Benoit passing a physical.

In his first season as Tigers closer, Benoit had 24 saves in 26 chances. But in Game 2 of the AL championship series, he allowed a tying grand slam by Boston's David Ortiz that was a turning point in the series.

Benoit, who turns 37 on July 26, is expected to replace setup man Luke Gregerson, who was traded to Oakland for outfielder Seth Smith. He could also be insurance for closer Huston Street, who's been on the disabled list three times the last two seasons.
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Downs was claimed of waivers by the Astro's...

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/mlb/6053/darin-downs

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Justin Verlander had to have surgery to repair a torn core muscle. He had the surgery done by the same guy who operated on Miggy. He is supposed to be rehabbing for 6-8 weeks and is going to be late getting to spring training. They are expecting him to be ready for the regular season, but he may not be ready to start on Opening Day.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 8:09:55 AM EDT
[#9]
What are your guys's thoughts on this Tigers season? The last two years,
I figured the Tigers had a great shot at going to the World Series.
But this year, with all the changes going on at different positions, I'm
kind of in a wait and see mode. I think the constants though, is Miggy,
Verlander should be solid.

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I am optimistic about the Tigers this season. They have an almost infinitely better infield defense and they have a couple of really good speedsters now in Davis and Kinsler. Everyone is talking about how much losing Prince is going to hurt Miggy, but I think that is overblown. Remember, the 2011 Tigers won the division and went to the ALCS without Prince Fielder.

I think the rotation will be fine. I think Smyly will be fine and I think that Porcello is going to change a lot of minds and benefit a lot from the new defensive alignment.

Honestly, I think this team has a better chance to win the WS than the last three seasons.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I am optimistic about the Tigers this season. They have an almost infinitely better infield defense and they have a couple of really good speedsters now in Davis and Kinsler. Everyone is talking about how much losing Prince is going to hurt Miggy, but I think that is overblown. Remember, the 2011 Tigers won the division and went to the ALCS without Prince Fielder.

View Quote

I think the rotation will be fine. I think Smyly will be fine and I think that Porcello is going to change a lot of minds and benefit a lot from the new defensive alignment.

Honestly, I think this team has a better chance to win the WS than the last three seasons.

Lets hopes so.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 1:09:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been considering the same thing, and can't see any anything but a substantial lmprovement overall.

Verlander is at the point where he will start slowing down a little, but get even more dangerous with control and picking batters apart.
He's gonna be a complete bastard to hit this year, if he stays in the game mentally.

Porcello was damn good last year. I don't give a shit what the numbers say.
He didn't get the run support half the time, and is still growing. I really think he's due to settle in and start owning the park from the mound.

Pitching is good, Bullpen is still kinda iffy though and Jobu the shittastic is still polluting the clubhouse. I hope Rondon has settled in during the offseason.
Smyly dosn't worry me at all, he's another one that can only grow.

Bats are lining up nicely. Dunno if Davis is any better than Torii yet, and Iglesias can't do anything but get better...the kid is gonna be in the Hall. I just know it.
It will be interesting to see if Alex got his shit together in the off season.

Ausmus is a wild card though. How he lines things up and deals with the grind, as well as the usual herding primadona cats bullshit, will make the difference.
Cranky old Catchers make great coaches most of the time, and I liked Ausmus when he was wearing the D.

I'm sick of feeding the woodstove and pushing snow. Spring can't get here soon enough.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I think we can look for the Tigers to steal base`s this year, I think Miggie will be fine without fielder, fielder wasen`t there half the time anyways, I do have a concern about miggy playing first base, and his groin issue, hes gonna be stretched out there from time to time
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Tigers sign AJax to $6m to avoid arbitration, and Porcello at $8.5M to avoid arbitration.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Tigers sign Scherzer to $15.53M deal to avoid arbitration.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Tigers sign Scherzer to $15.53M deal to avoid arbitration.
View Quote

That's good. We should still have a formidable pitching staff for alittle bit longer now.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]
On paper, the Tigers are loaded for another WS run. However, they never seem to be greater than their individual parts. In my opinion, the have (and have had) the best pitching rotation in baseball since the Braves teams on the mid 90's, and as Maddux and Glavine just went into the Hall of Fame, that is a powerful comparison. Miggy is the best hitter of his generation, and they have a lot of young talent. They play in a  relatively weak division, so they should dominate more than their record indicates. Getting swept in the World series was painful. I have a lot more questions than confidence going into April.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Verlander might not be ready for start of season:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/gm-dombrowski-justin-verlander-might-not-ready-start-150254837--mlb.html

maybe it was because of this:

Kate Upton On-Again With Ex-Boyfriend Justin Verlander: Details from Their Sexy Vacation

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/kate-upton-justin-verlander-back-on-2014221

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Avlia is on board for another year.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Swell.

If Ausmus saw something, I'm gonna have to go with his decision.
Alex CAN hit, we have seen it in a couple streaks he has had, between the 60 game slumps.

If he found a Proctologist/witch doctor to pull his head out of his ass at the plate and improve his shot to 2nd in the off season, there is no better defensive catcher for the Sherzer/Verlander pitching that results in
a high number of sliders skipping off the deck.
Alex is goddamned good at keeping past balls to an absolute minimum, and it allows Max and Justin to play further onto the edges with thier freaky stuff.

The trouble begins when Betty White can steal on him, and the worry distracts Justin horribly. Max isn't bothered as much, but it's still a focus splitter.
Again, in the off season, things can be worked on, and some voodoo and science can be applied.

I'll give Alex some credit.
He IS a hard working professional about his approach to the game, and I wouldn't put it past him to be on some mountain in Nepal meditating with Monks, if it helped his game.
With Ausmus, Alex has a crusty old catcher as a resource to improve his game, and Ausmus knows exactly who to send Alex to in order to get him straightened out, when he can't.

If he starts in with his same old crap though, he needs to go.
With the line up as it is, every Bat has to be a threat, and giving up 2nd like clock work is unacceptable.

Link Posted: 2/7/2014 10:51:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Swell.

Alex CAN hit, we have seen it in a couple streaks he has had, between the 60 game slumps.

If he found a Proctologist/witch doctor to pull his head out of his ass at the plate and improve his shot to 2nd in the off season, there is no better defensive catcher for the Sherzer/Verlander pitching that results in

Alex is goddamned good at keeping past balls to an absolute minimum, and it allows Max and Justin to play further onto the edges with thier freaky stuff.

The trouble begins when Betty White can steal on him, and the worry distracts Justin horribly. Max isn't bothered as much, but it's still a focus splitter.

Again, in the off season, things can be worked on, and some voodoo and science can be applied.

He IS a hard working professional about his approach to the game, and I wouldn't put it past him to be on some mountain in Nepal meditating with Monks, if it helped his game.

With Ausmus, Alex has a crusty old catcher as a resource to improve his game, and Ausmus knows exactly who to send Alex to in order to get him straightened out, when he can't.

With the line up as it is, every Bat has to be a threat, and giving up 2nd like clock work is unacceptable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Swell.

They were talking about Alex Avila on Clubhouse Confidential today. The expert consensus is that he is a solid average catcher. The key to the discussion was that every team needs to have average guys on it who do their job and do it reliably. Alex fits that category and he handles the best starting rotation in baseball. Pretty key right there. I think he's going to have a better season at the plate. I'm looking for him to hit .250 with 15 homers.

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#23]
What's the Over/Under on how many balls he takes to the facemask this year?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What's the Over/Under on how many balls he takes to the facemask this year?
View Quote

Alex crowds the batters a little with Max or Justin pitching. He has to, in order to smother the freaky sliders the both of them throw.

He's gonna catch foul tips in the mask and chest regularly. It's just another aspect of great pitching getting past batters by 3/4".

Considering that Justin is getting damn sneaky with his finesse, and Max has been gaining more and more control over his slider...and both will be playing the margins even more frequently this year.
I expect Alex to get hit even more this year, than last.

If Alex had a second base shot, he would be golden glove every damn season. He's one of the very best to ever play, when it comes to all but that aspect of defensive play.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, it sounds like almost all of the pitchers; Sanchez, Porcello, Verlander, Smyly, Rondon, Coke, Joba and Joe Nathan reported to camp early this year. Miggy has been in camp for a week now working on his core strengthening regimen and it sounds like Drew Smyly has bulked up in the off season. Nick Castellanos showed up early and has been working on fielding with Omar Vizquel (can you believe Omar Vizquel is our fucking infield coach?) and Alex has been in camp working with the pitchers as well. It sounds like everyone is excited and eager to get started so they can be ready for this season. I love the sense of purpose these guys are showing and motivation to get in, get going and get ready for baseball! All you Negative Nellies can take a hike, I am excited about this team and this season!

GO TIGERS!
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#26]

What the heck happened yesterday.  Lost two games in one day!

Was watching part of the Tigers/Phillies game earlier this morning on MLB network and I had to turn it off after the 3rd inning they were so bad....

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Pre-season disconnect. Every crew has it, and it's a mental thing.

They are all thinking too much and focusing on what they worked in in the off season, and are mentally not in the "Game", but more into prepping themselves for the games to come.

It takes until mid march for any of them to start to click. Ya can't judge teams in the pre-season period.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Pre-season disconnect. Every crew has it, and it's a mental thing.

They are all thinking too much and focusing on what they worked in in the off season, and are mentally not in the "Game", but more into prepping themselves for the games to come.

It takes until mid march for any of them to start to click. Ya can't judge teams in the pre-season period.
View Quote

Really?  Kinda says something when your starting catcher misses the first few games because of a back spasms and your starting shortstop is out maybe for a week due to shin splints.  I hope that's not setting the tone for the regular season!

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Spring training just started, right? It's still alittle while before the season starts. It is what it is, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Yep!!

First couple of spring training weeks are full of little owies, sore arms and elbows, cramps, back spasams, pulled hammies, shin splints, and that sort of thing.

Working the kinks out, and getting back in the groove is what it is all about, and nobody is going at it more than 3/4 speed anyhow.

It's a good time to see how well the winter projects are working out. Batting adjustments, new pitches and changes to old ones, new Bats, technique adjustments...like getting a jump on the shot to second from home plate by adjusting the crouch..hint...hint..

I ain't worried about it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#31]

And now Dirks it out for 12 weeks:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140304/SPORTS0104/303040103/Tigers-Andy-Dirks-undergo-back-surgery-out-12-weeks

I wonder who they are going to platoon with Davis in left field now....

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

And now Dirks it out for 12 weeks:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140304/SPORTS0104/303040103/Tigers-Andy-Dirks-undergo-back-surgery-out-12-weeks

I wonder who they are going to platoon with Davis in left field now....

View Quote

Don Kelly and possibly Steve Lombardozzi. Dombrowski said they aren't going to rush any prospects to the big leagues before they are ready. Don has been crushing the ball so far. Lots of good swings and lots of doubles. He's also a great defensive outfielder.

Hernan Perez or Danny Worth are probably going to make the team too, since Iggy is a question mark with regards to his shins.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#33]
That's good to know.   Saw that DK was in today's game and was hearing Dickerson talking about Danny Worth being with the team this year.

Opening day is getting close!  Hope this snow melts so we can at least think it'll be spring by then!

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Can we just get rid of Coke now and quit wasting everyone's time?  He sucked last year and he still sucks this year...

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#35]
JV came back today. Pitched 3 2/3's innings with 2 BBs and 2 Ks, 1 hit and no runs. Not a bad first start!
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Injured Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias could miss most of season

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140315/SPORTS0104/303150054

Lakeland, Fla. — The outlook for injured Tigers’ shortstop Jose Iglesias has not taken a turn for the better.

Anything but.

Now there are reports that, because Iglesias is still suffering from a painful stress reaction in both shins, he could miss most of the 2014 season.

That’s from former Major League Baseball general manager Jim Bowden, who works for both ESPN and SiriusXM, and CBS Sports reporter Jon Heyman.

But no matter who is doing the talking — Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski, manager Brad Ausmus or analysts — the outlook for Iglesias is murky, at best.

Bowden tweeted Saturday that, according to a player close to Iglesias, his "shin injury” will force him to miss "most of 2014.” Heyman’s report said much the same, citing a former teammate of Iglesias.

The speculation is the Tigers will try to sign free agent Stephen Drew as a replacement. Drew played last year for Boston but has spent most of his eight-year career with Arizona.

Ausmus stopped short of a dire prediction but said he is close to making a decision about Iglesias for the start of the regular season.

Of Iglesias needing to be back in the lineup soon in order to be ready, Ausmus said Saturday, "We’re kind of at that point that with every passing day, it’s becoming extremely more difficult for him to get the number of at-bats needed for him to prepare for the season.”

In a text, Dombrowski said of Iglesias’ future, "At this point, I am not prepared to answer this question. I will have more information in the next few days.”

Iglesias is not playing in the Tigers’ spring-training games and has tried to remain upbeat, but, "No question, he’s getting frustrated,” Ausmus said. "He wants to play.”

Outfielder Torii Hunter can see Iglesias getting frustrated, too.

"It’s our job as veterans to kind of lift him up,” Hunter said. "He wants to be out there so badly, it’s killing him. It’s tough for him to even watch the games.

"But he’s injured; what can you do? That’s part of baseball.”

The Tigers have in-house candidates they could turn to if Iglesias is out an extended amount of time, but none with the experience of Drew.

Acquired last summer from Boston in a three-team deal in which the Tigers parted with promising outfielder Avisail Garcia, Iglesias made an outstanding impression with his glove in the last two months for the Tigers but experienced short-term shin problems in September.

Whether they’ll be short-term again, the Tigers will find out soon.

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 1:59:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Not looking too good. Between Dirks and Iggy this Spring training is going to have the Tigers going North with a couple of missing pieces.

The reports I saw on MLB Network were that Stephen Drew has turned down some one year contract offers holding out for a multi year deal. If that's what it takes to land Stephen Drew, then Iggy could wind up getting released or traded.

Probably not the news Dombrowski was hoping for. The other side of the coin is that Iggy isn't expected to be a big bat, so it is possible that Hernan Perez could take the shortstop job. Danny Worth is another possibility, but his major league track record is not great.

That still leaves a platoon gap in left field with Dirks being out. And that's probably the more troubling hole for the Tigers right now. Worth or Perez are fine defensive options at short, especially with Don Kelly and Steve Lombardozzi available to fill in. But there is no good every day option to platoon with Davis in Left. Davis was supposed to start against lefties with Dirks getting the majority of the playing time. You can't turn Don Kelly into an everyday left fielder to fill that hole.

That said, I am sure that the Tigers will acquire someone to fill one of these two spots and platoon the other. Then there is always the in season non-waiver trade deadline option if they need to fill another hole down the stretch. As long as the pitching stays healthy and the veterans stay healthy then the team is still looking really good. They have done great so far, even with the lineup gaps. Ajax and Kinsler look poised for better seasons and Torii, Miggy and Vmart are money in the bank. I think Castellanos is going to be a RoY candidate this year too, so I don't have too many concerns about winning the division.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Dombroski is a mad scientist. He'll hopefully have something up his sleeve.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 1:49:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Shitty spring training.

Iggy is out for the season with stress fractures in his legs.

Rondon needs to have Tommy John surgery and will miss the entire season.

Dirks has to have back surgery and will be out until about the All Star break.

I think that there is some kind of Seminole curse on Tiger Town right now, and I can't wait for this team to get the fuck out of Florida!

On the upside, Justin hasn't allowed a run a 3 starts.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:30:28 AM EDT
[#40]
WTF is going on with Max and his contract?

PAY the guy already! Damn!

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I thought $24 million was a damn good offer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#43]
He's pissed he's not the opening day starter.  Really, the current CY Young winner and not pitching on opening day.  I guess Verlander's contract out weighs a Cy Young award.

So, we're getting an 'ole Marline has been for SS.  With all these moves Dombrowski is doing, if I were in AAA or AA I'd want to be traded/sold to another team.  No faith in the MLB club front office of the farm system...

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 1:38:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

Especially for a pitcher that has only had one good season.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He has a fucking retarded agent. An agent that is known for doing this. He ought to fire his dumb ass agent.

Did he get talked into thinking getting a deal any less than Verlander's is an insult?

24 mil a year, very few NFL players even make that much money in a single year.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 2:26:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

He has a fucking retarded agent. An agent that is known for doing this. He ought to fire his dumb ass agent.

Did he get talked into thinking getting a deal any less than Verlander's is an insult?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boras apparently said that $24 million isn't the market price for a top starter now, considering what Kershaw got, or something to that affect.

Are you fucking kidding me? The Dodgers are paying the best starting pitcher in the game, who is just getting into the prime of his career $30 million/year. Kershaw is a 26 year old franchise product, 3 time All Star, Triple Crown winner with two Cy Young awards and has had the lowest ERA of any starter in baseball for the last three seasons.

Max had awesome 2013 and was good in the second half of 2012. Before that he was a third starter at best. If he wants Kershaw money then he is smoking some high quality shit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#47]
: Detroit Tigers, Miguel Cabrera reportedly closing in on a "mega extension" that would keep the 2-time MVP in Detroit through at least 2021.

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

: Detroit Tigers, Miguel Cabrera reportedly closing in on a "mega extension" that would keep the 2-time MVP in Detroit through at least 2021.

View Quote

Apparently it's a done deal. 8 years/$248 million.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Locked up the best hitter of our generation
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Doug Fister is going to start the season on the 15 day DL for Washington. Apparently he has a lat strain, which as I recall is the same injury that cost him half of the 2012 season.

Maybe Dave wasn't so stupid for trading Fister after all.
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top