Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2017 11:33:27 AM EDT
There is a good potential that I would be relocating to Nashville in about 6 months.  I've been to Nashville a dozen times and like everything but the humidity and the new-to-me confusing freeway system.  I would love some advice on areas to look for housing, as well as what I need to know about gun ownership that's different than Arizona.

Guns:
I have SBRs and suppressors
I carry concealed daily and am willing to get a permit (AZ doesn't require, but I have one)
My general gun understanding is that I need to just get a permit and it lasts 8 years.  Are there a good selection of ranges?  I used to compete 2 gun (3 gun minus shotgun), but I'm not even thinking about that until I'm settled.  
We have stand your ground in AZ.  I will do more research on TN, but is there anything I absolutely need to know there?
Private party gun sales?  No paperwork required here.

Housing:
It's me, my wife, and 2 dogs.  We cannot have children.  
Need to be relatively close to downtown and the airport (20 minutes)
Don't like spending more than $300K on a house- 3 bedroom, 2 bath, hard floors.  Single story (or with basement)
I hate cutting grass and am gong to painfully miss desert landscaping.  
My wife is vegetarian.  I am vegan (Dr orders- used to have severe gastrointestinal issues- I actually have some Tennessee blood in my veins after one of my many transfusions at Vanderbilt).  Moving to the south doesn't exactly align with my diet.  Don't worry.  I vote Republican/Libertarian.  I'm just vegan.

I'm really encouraged by what I saw on realtor.com, but don't know areas to avoid.  I will get a realtor for that.

In summary, I'm terrified to move, but am oddly comfortable more comfortable with Nashville than any of the other options that would be on the table.

Anything I absolutely need to know?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
$300K isn't a lot of money to buy a house in Nashville anymore. You could find a nice condo for that, I guess.

As far as vegetarian restaurants, there are a few, and a lot of restaurants have vegetarian offerings on their menu.

Mrs. IHJ visited family in the Bay Area back in May, and had dinner at a very good vegan place in Oakland called "Soully Vegan" a soul food restaurant. The owners said that they are going to open a location here soon.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$300K isn't a lot of money to buy a house in Nashville anymore. You could find a nice condo for that, I guess.

As far as vegetarian restaurants, there are a few, and a lot of restaurants have vegetarian offerings on their menu.

Mrs. IHJ visited family in the Bay Area back in May, and had dinner at a very good vegan place in Oakland called "Soully Vegan" a soul food restaurant. The owners said that they are going to open a location here soon.
View Quote
I will be at that restaurant in two weeks in Oakland!

Very surprised on the housing comment.  Are these in bad areas?  Finding all sorts of examples:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/382-Wimpole-Dr_Nashville_TN_37211_M79374-14456
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2952-River-Bend-Dr_Nashville_TN_37214_M73259-49980
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3351-Mimosa-Dr_Nashville_TN_37211_M77462-16723
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#3]
None of them are in great parts of Nashville, but #1 & #3 are in especially rough parts. You can wait for gentrification to catch up with you,  but I wouldn't buy in any of those neighborhoods, and I've lived here for my entire life.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
None of them are in great parts of Nashville, but #1 & #3 are in especially rough parts. You can wait for gentrification to catch up with you,  but I wouldn't buy in any of those neighborhoods, and I've lived here for my entire life.
View Quote
Thank you.  Great preliminary info.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Very surprised on the housing comment.  
View Quote
Nashville is currently in a ridiculous boom in the housing market.  Developers are buying up properties in older neighborhoods, tearing down the existing house, dividing the lot into two or three narrow lots, then building narrow three story houses on the new lots (cutting grass isn't really an issue, since the yard is just a narrow strip of grass that can be cut with a weedeater).  High-rise housing is being built in and near downtown.

Taxes are also a pain, as Nashville got flooded by liberals, some time ago, and somebody has to pay for all that stuff.  The current mayor is determined to have bike lanes and sidewalks on anything resembling a road, along with other projects to make Nashville seem like her idea of utopia.

If you don't want to pay a lot for housing, the surrounding counties are probably your best bet (though Franklin and Brentwood are also not going to be cheap).  If you want to stay fairly close to the airport, you might want to look at areas along I-40 and I-24, east of Nashville (though Murfreesboro is also experiencing growth and seems infected with 'big city thinking').

Biggest differences on guns are probably

1) A permit is needed to carry a handgun (open or concealed, there is no legal difference between the two).  The Nashville area isn't too friendly toward open carry (too many liberals and big city thinkers, but no laws restricting it).  Long guns cannot be carried (with exceptions for hunting, etc).  Entrances posted as 'no guns' (they got rid of the requirement for the signs to be worded a certain way) are off-limits for carry.  Having loaded firearms in your vehicle is legal and does not require a permit.

2) The state collects a $10 fee for acting as the point of contact for the NICS check, when buying guns from a licensed dealer.  Sales between two private parties only have to comply with federal laws.  TN is NFA friendly.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted: but don't know areas to avoid.  I will get a realtor for that.

Anything I absolutely need to know?
View Quote

the first thing to know is that realtors aren't really allowed to tell you what neighborhoods are bad, though some may do so
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#7]
How about Mt Juliet or Hermitage?  Off the 40?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Look at Smyrna too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Look at Smyrna too.
View Quote
Thanks.  Been there.  Our distribution center is there.  I'd be worried about catching flights down there, though.  I'd likely be flying out of BNA every other week.

ETA: I must have made the trip on a bad day.  That's not far AT ALL.  The drive I took was about 40 minutes after rush hour and traffic was brutal.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Came in here to say something about these.

I live in Hermitage. The nicer part of town is the Saundersville Rd. area near Old Hickory Lake. Also look at some of neighborhoods off of Old Lebanon Dirt Rd. close to the Wilson County line.

Mt. Juliet is a nice town just east of Hermitage. It's experiencing a lot of growth due to the new Providence Mall area near the interstate. Traffic is a nightmare on Mt. Juliet road South of I-40 in front of the mall. There is some nice neighborhoods behind the mall though.
Also, look at the area between Mt. Juliet & Lebanon near Hwy. 109.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks.  Been there.  Our distribution center is there.  I'd be worried about catching flights down there, though.  I'd likely be flying out of BNA every other week.

ETA: I must have made the trip on a bad day.  That's not far AT ALL.  The drive I took was about 40 minutes after rush hour and traffic was brutal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at Smyrna too.

I-24 between Nashville and Murfreesboro can be a nightmare.  I couldn't guess how many times I have seen burned out cars on the side of the road, or on fire.  Caught a chunk of plywood to the windshield, a while back.  Luckily it didn't come through, but there was no way I could drive the car home until I had the windshield replaced.  A few years ago, I saw some debris flying toward me, that another car had hit.  Turned out to be a shovel, and it took some trim off the side of my car, before bouncing across the lanes.  Back in 2005, an SUV driver lost control and went over the top of my convertible, shoving me off of I-24 in the process (I was probably doing around 55 mph, when my car hit the grass).  I finished physical therapy in 2007.

Traffic is pretty bad along there, too.

If you have to use I-24 for your regular commute, you may want to consider having a substantial (full-size pickup, Crown Vic, etc) older vehicle as your daily driver.  

There are other roads you can take, to avoid I-24, but that will add stoplights to your commute.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Came in here to say something about these.

I live in Hermitage. The nicer part of town is the Saundersville Rd. area near Old Hickory Lake. Also look at some of neighborhoods off of Old Lebanon Dirt Rd. close to the Wilson County line.

Mt. Juliet is a nice town just east of Hermitage. It's experiencing a lot of growth due to the new Providence Mall area near the interstate. Traffic is a nightmare on Mt. Juliet road South of I-40 in front of the mall. There is some nice neighborhoods behind the mall though.
Also, look at the area between Mt. Juliet & Lebanon near Hwy. 109.
View Quote
All of this is good information. I deliver building products for a living, and the sheer amount of construction going on in Hermitage/Mt. Juliet is staggering. Traffic sucks during rush hour, but NOWHERE as badly as I-24 going towards Murfreesboro or I-65 heading north.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:11:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Great feedback, guys.  Thank you.  Starting points are what I need and I'm getting them.  i prefer smaller, modest, single story homes.  It also appears that solid block walls around the yard ain't gonna happen.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:19:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It also appears that solid block walls around the yard ain't gonna happen.
View Quote
That's not common in this area, but I have seen a few, over the years.  Probably smaller yards in the more expensive areas, when you do see them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Good info, I've been looking for a while for a unicorn in East Tennessee, Zillow gives different data on the schools, scale is 1-10 and when you click into the actual school you get the demographics of that district pertaining to the school. You can make your own decisions from the info.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good info, I've been looking for a while for a unicorn in East Tennessee, Zillow gives different data on the schools, scale is 1-10 and when you click into the actual school you get the demographics of that district pertaining to the school. You can make your own decisions from the info.
View Quote
My experience with Zillow on stuff local to me, is that whoever was putting the data in, must have been doing serious drugs.

Their estimate of the value of my house is about twice what the local government's already inflated appraisal is.  Claims I have central air conditioning  (that must be the window unit on the back side of the house).  Claims I have a deck (nope).  Can't even get the roof material right.

150 acre farm up the road from me is estimated to be worth considerably less than a neighboring house that sits on something like 5 acres.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just like the previous poster, do NOT trust Zillow. Their data is usually way off.

I can't begin to tell you how far off they have been on mine and others homes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just like the previous poster, do NOT trust Zillow. Their data is usually way off.

View Quote
Well, to be fair, they might actually be close on their estimate of the value of that house that's on 5 acres (don't know for sure, but it sounds like a reasonable estimate).

But to claim that the neighboring farm is worth considerably less, when the houses are around the same size, the farm has a spring fed lake covering several acres, two ponds, mix of pasture and woods, barn that was built sometime in the last two decades or so...

Yeah, I wouldn't hesitate to run to the bank and beg for a loan to buy that farm at that price.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Zillow was surprisingly only off by $2K on my house compared to the appraisal when I refinanced.  I've never clicked on the school stuff.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just a little advice, but if you want to assimilate a bit and not spend your time here branded an obvious outsider, don't refer to interstates as "the 24," "The 40," or "the 65," They are 24, 40, and 65. Drop the superfluous "the." To most people, that's a California thing and Californians are not generally well regarded.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd bet you can get a great house in Donelson for 300k or less, and it's a great place to invest. People that can't afford East Nashville have started moving there.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just a little advice, but if you want to assimilate a bit and not spend your time here branded an obvious outsider, don't refer to interstates as "the 24," "The 40," or "the 65," They are 24, 40, and 65. Drop the superfluous "the." To most people, that's a California thing and Californians are not generally well regarded.
View Quote
Thanks.  I've been in AZ my whole life and we say "the 51", "the 202", "the 60".  So I just say, "take the 24"?  Not, "Take I-24"?  

Reminds me of when I first started waiting tables here in the 90's and people from out of town would occasionally order "sweet tea".  I genuinely didn't know what that meant.  We have iced tea and we have sweetener.  A customer of mine kept telling me how bad our sweet tea was and I kept telling him to add sugar, which was insulting to him until my manager intervened and explained that "sweet tea" is a thing and we don't have it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#23]
No sweet tea?

Barbarians.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No sweet tea?

Barbarians.
View Quote
Beat me to it.

I was surprised when my son found a 2x4 of sweet tea up north at an Petro.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was suggesting the data on the schools. I know that up here the appraisals by Zillow are " interesting" . A lawyer friend of mine called them out on his own appraisal versus a neighbor's house and they replied to him that they use tax data to come up with the numbers. If you grieve you taxes( necessary here on Long Island] and your neighbor does not , than the appraisal numbers they use are way off. I never use the suggested sale numbers generated by them, just the school data and prior sale and tax data. I hope that stuff is somewhat accurate, if not please inform us interested folks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:47:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd bet you can get a great house in Donelson for 300k or less, and it's a great place to invest. People that can't afford East Nashville have started moving there.
View Quote
Just found a few great looking prospects and one quasi-dream home there.   They won't be around when I'm ready to move/buy, but I think that's the sweet spot.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was suggesting the data on the schools. I know that up here the appraisals by Zillow are " interesting" . A lawyer friend of mine called them out on his own appraisal versus a neighbor's house and they replied to him that they use tax data to come up with the numbers. If you grieve you taxes( necessary here on Long Island] and your neighbor does not , than the appraisal numbers they use are way off. I never use the suggested sale numbers generated by them, just the school data and prior sale and tax data. I hope that stuff is somewhat accurate, if not please inform us interested folks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point about Zillow was not in regards to the specified property posted by the OP, but by my personal experience and those others I know, that have found their info to be wildly inaccurate at times. Bottom line is, you don't know.

As for true sales data, most cities and counties have a GIS system where this data can be found and is much more accurate. There is a statewide GIS as well for those localities without one of their own.

As for tax data indicating actual value.......
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:17:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just found a few great looking prospects and one quasi-dream home there.   They won't be around when I'm ready to move/buy, but I think that's the sweet spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We used to have a local member in Donelson who would have let you sleep on his couch, but he left Our Fair City for the boonies of East Tennessee. He's still around to criticize Nashville from afar, however. Maybe he'll show up in this thread and tell us all how it was so much better here in the 70s..

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We used to have a local member in Donelson who would have let you sleep on his couch, but he left Our Fair City for the boonies of East Tennessee. He's still around to criticize Nashville from afar, however. Maybe he'll show up in this thread and tell us all how it was so much better here in the 70s..

View Quote
In the late 1970s, pickups in Bellevue had racks in the back windows, with rifles and shotguns in the racks, and nobody cared.

There was a Bronco (or maybe it was a Blazer) that had a rack in each of the rear side windows (space for four long guns on display), and nobody cared.

There was a little market and restaurant down by the interstate (near the theater that is now an indoor range), and the owner open carried a .38 after dark, and nobody cared.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I was just bombing through Zillow last night looking at houses.

Cant find anything I like.  It's like the architects are on crack.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was just bombing through Zillow last night looking at houses.

Cant find anything I like.  It's like the architects are on crack.
View Quote
I deliver to the subdivisions that encircle Nashville, and I'm convinced that middle Tennessee architects are blind drunks. Brick is fine, stone looks good, but they blend them in the ugliest way. Why have 21 different home plans when each one of them are butt-ugly?

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I deliver to the subdivisions that encircle Nashville, and I'm convinced that middle Tennessee architects are blind drunks. Brick is fine, stone looks good, but they blend them in the ugliest way. Why have 21 different home plans when each one of them are butt-ugly?

View Quote
Brick is fine.  16 inch thick thermal mass for walls does reasonably well in this sort of climate.

The brick veneer that architects and builders keep putting on the outside of wood framed houses, is pure hell.

My father had to have a 'brick' house, so the one we had built and moved into in 1969, had bricks applied to the exterior of the wood frame walls.

"Looks good and is low maintenance."

One summer was all it took for my mother to declare it one of the more idiotic decisions he had made.  A huge window unit air conditioner was installed by the next summer (eventually had a central unit installed in the basement).  Didn't help that my father hated trees (could give you 20 different reasons why you should cut down every tree within 100 feet of your house).

Three story, shotgun houses seem to be dominating the current construction market in Nashville.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:27:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Brick is fine.  16 inch thick thermal mass for walls does reasonably well in this sort of climate.

The brick veneer that architects and builders keep putting on the outside of wood framed houses, is pure hell.

My father had to have a 'brick' house, so the one we had built and moved into in 1969, had bricks applied to the exterior of the wood frame walls.

One summer was all it took for my mother to declare it one of the more idiotic decisions he had made.  A huge window unit air conditioner was installed by the next summer (eventually had a central unit installed in the basement).  Didn't help that my father hated trees (could give you 20 different reasons why you should cut down every tree within 100 feet of your house).

Three story, shotgun houses seem to be dominating the current construction market in Nashville.  
View Quote
At least they are using our block for the foundations, so it keeps me busy and is an easy off-load. I'd rather have one of them than the ugly-ass houses in the majority of the subdivisions around here.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Look in crieve hall neighborhood  or Aberdeen woods.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Thoughts on Antioch?

ETA: Looks like pics show a lot of signs in Spanish....
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thoughts on Antioch?

View Quote
Dude... no.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Dude... no.
View Quote
Thanks.  Saw "street views" after I posted that.  

This thread has been really helpful.  Sorry to keep nagging.  Appreciate the hospitality and advice.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thoughts on Antioch?

View Quote
I know you've already reached an understanding of the desirability of an Antioch address, but, I wanted to let you know of one nickname for that area of town...Hispanioch.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
At least they are using our block for the foundations, so it keeps me busy and is an easy off-load. I'd rather have one of them than the ugly-ass houses in the majority of the subdivisions around here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess the majority of my problem with them, is how they are sited - less than 10 feet from the neighbor's house.  But if you switch to a more conventional siting practice (a real lawn between you and the neighbors), the 'shotgun' aspect of the design becomes pointless.

They've even started building them in Bellevue, with a patch of them next to where Old Harding crosses the railroad tracks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I guess the majority of my problem with them, is how they are sited - less than 10 feet from the neighbor's house.  But if you switch to a more conventional siting practice (a real lawn between you and the neighbors), the 'shotgun' aspect of the design becomes pointless.

They've even started building them in Bellevue, with a patch of them next to where Old Harding crosses the railroad tracks.
View Quote
'Yup, I delivered a lot of the foundation block for them. I'd live in one in a heartbeat, since Mrs. IHJ and I are practically empty-nesters, were they not so close to the tracks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

'Yup, I delivered a lot of the foundation block for them. I'd live in one in a heartbeat, since Mrs. IHJ and I are practically empty-nesters, were they not so close to the tracks.
View Quote
Across the street from the railroad tracks...

Next to an interstate...

Down the street from the projects...

So many wonderful choices of where to buy a new house.  And it wouldn't surprise me if they are getting top dollar for those locations.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Here's what you need to know.
1. Rent for 6 mos to a year.  Get to know the area before buying.

2. Look at western Wilson county if you absolutely have to be close to the airport. Between Percy Priest lake and 840.

3. 300k doesn't go as far as it used too, and never will again.

Lifelong Nashville resident and one of the guys that Ironhand John delivers material to.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Here's what you need to know.
1. Rent for 6 mos to a year.  Get to know the area before buying.

2. Look at western Wilson county if you absolutely have to be close to the airport. Between Percy Priest lake and 840.

3. 300k doesn't go as far as it used too, and never will again.

Lifelong Nashville resident and one of the guys that Ironhand John delivers material to.
View Quote
This man knows his stuff, and associates with smart people, so you should listen to him.

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Still nothing final on this, but I've reluctantly upped the budget to $400K and zeroed in on some neighborhoods after talking with a realtor.  He basically told me the magic number right now to get what I want is $385K.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 2:44:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You don't happen to be a lawyer, do you? Sorry if I missed that in the thread
View Quote
No....why?
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:31:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Have one friend that did law school in AZ and another that moved to Nashville for law. Your situation just triggered some curiosity for me
View Quote
Gotcha.  I'm a remote employee running the west coast and this is a relocation for work for a centralized operations role.  My company is based there with multiple offices.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Still nothing final on this, but I've reluctantly upped the budget to $400K and zeroed in on some neighborhoods after talking with a realtor.  He basically told me the magic number right now to get what I want is $385K.
View Quote
Ill be posting our house in Mt Juliet for sale in the Spring.  May fit your timetable for moving
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:00:05 AM EDT
[#50]
PM Sent
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top