Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2017 3:17:57 PM EDT
This month, on April 30 at 1:00, Volunteer Rifle & Pistol Club will be hosting a modified version of the NRA's new America's Rifle Challenge Course at the John Sevier Hunter Education Center, 2327 Rifle Range Road.  This course is designed for the AR-15/M4, but any rifle using a detachable-magazine will work.  This challenging and practical course of fire will have you engaging targets in the open and from cover, from a variety of practical shooting positions at ranges, from 7 to 75 yards.  For many, it's a rare opportunity to run your rifle through its paces in a practical environment, and maybe even pick up some new skills.

REQUIRED EQUIPMENT :  You'll need a detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifle (centerfire caliber preferred, though .22LR will work as well), at least one spare magazine (the course does involve magazine changes), and at least 80 rounds of ammunition (we may have the opportunity to shoot the course more than once, so feel free to bring extra). Please insure that you have zeroed your rifle prior to arriving at the range as we will not be verifying zeros on shoot day (25-, 50- or 100- yard zeros are fine, as long as you know where it shoots).

ADDITIONAL RECOMENDED EQUIPMENT:  Knee pads (don't have to be tactical, just have to work for you) are a good idea, as you'll be shooting some stages kneeling.  Magazine carriers (for your spares) are a useful, if not essential (they're a lot better than your pocket).  A Dump Pouch (for carrying loose ammo for reloads) is also a great idea (beats having it sloshing around in your pockets).  Last, but not least, WATER: May be hot and we'll be out there for several hours.

MATCH FEE:  $10.00 (in addition to the standard TWRA $8.00 range fee for non-club members)

We need to know how many are shooting to prepare enough targets, etc.  Please post below or PM me if you're interested or have questions.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested.  Talking with wife about schedule.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Hope you can make it.

One tip on magazines, the course of fire has stages calling for 5 to 10 round magazines.  No need to load 20 or 30 rounds, or you'll just be downloading.  I load up a bunch of magazines with 5 rounds and it's easy to add a few as needed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Been wanting to try something like this, it's close and the price is right, I'm interested in doing this.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Hope you can join us.  We ran one last year and it was a lot of fun.  Sure beats shooting from a bench.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm interested also.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Not bad.  If I can make it, I might try to take my cousin and share my AR with him, since he's wanting to figure out if he wants to buy one or not.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Shouldn't be a problem, as I expect two relays.  More the merrier.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Bump, as the event is this weekend.  We shoot standing, kneeling and prone (unless you have physical limitations), so dress appropriately.  Targets are self-scored.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Unfortunately I'm out, got family plans.  Good luck to those that get to go, I'm jealous for sure.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm still gtg, will be there before 1:00 pm on Sunday.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Gate doesn't open until 1:00.  Some of us have access to go in earlier and will have things set up and ready to go after registration and range briefing.  

Stop at the TWRA office, just to the left of the gate, to pay their fee.  We'll be set up on the Known Distance Range (KD), to the right of the Bench Rest Range.  Park in the Bench Rest parking lot and carry your gear to the KD range.  We'll have registration and the briefing there.

Reminder: bring cash, we don't accept debit/credit cards.

I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Was a good time, will try to make the fall challenge.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you for coming out and glad you enjoyed yourself.  You should get an e-mail a few weeks before  the next event and I will post something here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top