Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2016 11:06:03 PM EDT
Thinking about a little weekend get away to see some fall colors. Not much to see in Middle Tennessee.

Are there any colors yet in the East?

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It's starting.

Was up in Big South Fork a couple days ago and it was looking about 90% green with 10% bright colors.  Same for here in the valley and closer to the Smokies.  I've got a feeling it's going to be a quick fall.  It'll explode, then it'll rain and Hollywood can finally come in to film all their depressing movies about Appalachia.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:57:50 AM EDT
[#2]
As of last weekend, the Smokies were not that good. Like Durka, I agree, it will be quick this year. The Smokies will be before Chattanooga.

A good drive I would suggest is the Cherohala Skyway from Tellico Plains to Robbinsville, NC through the South Cherokee NF. Less traffic than the Smokies but you have great views off the Skyway.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.

I miss it every year.

We've gone in early November and it was too late.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.

I miss it every year.

We've gone in early November and it was too late.
View Quote

90% of the time it's the 3rd week of October.  Every few years the leaves will hang on until the end of the 1st week of November.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#5]
This is saying today is peak, but I don't believe it.

https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/

Current webcam for Pisgah, in NC.  Still green
http://webcam.srs.fs.fed.us/webcams/shining.php

Nantahala National Forest, NC  - Starting to turn pretty good
http://webcam.srs.fs.fed.us/webcams/joyce.php

Ober Gatlinburg - Looks pretty green up on the top of the mountain
http://obergatlinburg.com/webcam/

Gatlinburg Getaway Cam - Still green, but starting to turn
http://view.gatlinburg-getaway.com/

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll let you know in a few hours. I'm takein' the whole tribe cross state. The most Northern end of the range was nice last week...

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, still pretty green here.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Headed up today, will get you a photo.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#9]
My view this morning...

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Looking pretty green still so far....
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's turning in the higher elevations.  Give it about 5-7 days and I bet it'll be peak.  Traffic to get into the park, went straight through Gatlinburg and backed up to the bypass.  (we took the bypass and had no problems)  Sugarlands Visitor's Center was packed so full you couldn't breathe.  

The "to get into the park" part was strange, because I can't say I remember seeing that before.  Traffic into PF, or even G'Burg, sure....but not the park.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:01:38 AM EDT
[#12]
It usually needs a frost before the leaves begin to turn good colors, IMO. I saw some color when I rode up to Rugby the other day.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's turning in the higher elevations.  Give it about 5-7 days and I bet it'll be peak.  Traffic to get into the park, went straight through Gatlinburg and backed up to the bypass.  (we took the bypass and had no problems)  Sugarlands Visitor's Center was packed so full you couldn't breathe.  

The "to get into the park" part was strange, because I can't say I remember seeing that before.  Traffic into PF, or even G'Burg, sure....but not the park.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

May just head to Chattanooga instead. I forgot about the traffic.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Drove the Cherohala Skyway yesterday and today to Robbinsville and back. Saturday morning had hardly any traffic at all this afternoon was a bit more, but not bad at all. Colors are out at certain elevations as usual, but not as good as normal with normal rainfall, no surprise there.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I took my boat out on Lake Chickamauga this afternoon and there are some good patches of fall color out there.

I think it will be decent next weekend.

Hard to predict how things will go with the dry weather.

They are predicting nice weather at least.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#16]
The trees were nice West of Knoxville on I-40 today. Yeah, the area is fairly dry. There was a pretty good fire up on the one hills across from our cabin last night and into this morning.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Give it 1-2 more weeks and you'll be perfect. It's jussssst starting to change enough to notice. A little longer and it will be exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Starting to peak in the higher elevations.  I give it this weekend being the start of the peak in mid elevations.  This is gonna be a quick one.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Starting to peak in the higher elevations.  I give it this weekend being the start of the peak in mid elevations.  This is gonna be a quick one.
View Quote

I think I might head that way this weekend or early next week. It's time for a break. The leaves are just a nice bonus.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#20]
These were taken over the weekend. It's still green in the valleys, but higher elevation is starting to get good.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice pics.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Nice pics.

Thanks.
View Quote
Anytime.

The lower end of Cherohala was still mostly green.

GSMNP was a little better, but I prefer the roads over the scenery.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Supposed to storm in the Valley tonight.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Rode Cherohala today. Most color was on the NC side for some odd reason. Lower levels still green, with some spots of color here & there.

I've heard it's been too dry in SE TN for color & the leaves may just drop w/o turning.

I'll try to post my pics tomorrow night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top