Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2016 3:41:24 PM EDT
My Google research leads me to believe it doesn't exist. . .

I always see arfcommers out west hiking, camping and shooting on public land. I love backpacking and I love shooting, so I always thought combining the two would be awesome. But it seems that east of the Mississippi it doesn't really work like that. Am I just too stupid to find it?
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#1]
National Forests are what you seek.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My Google research leads me to believe it doesn't exist. . .

I always see arfcommers out west hiking, camping and shooting on public land. I love backpacking and I love shooting, so I always thought combining the two would be awesome. But it seems that east of the Mississippi it doesn't really work like that. Am I just too stupid to find it?
View Quote

There is in Polk County. Shooting range just off of Hwy 411, camping all over the damn place.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Looked into the national forest thing. . . Cherokee has several ranges. I guess what I meant was (perhaps I'm misunderstanding the situation out there), but it seems people in the big flat western states can just go out into BLM managed land and shoot in the desert. Is there anything like that here?

My goal would be to get off a "flat" range into more natural settings to practice shooting at different elevations, etc. Don't know anyone with enough land to do that on private land. The other half of the goal would be carrying all of the shooting gear while camping, sort of getting used to the weight.

Maybe backpacking into where the ranges in Cherokee are would be the best bet; it would cover the second goal anyway.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#5]
As a teen, I camped out on the back logging trails at a local State Park many times. Shot 22s without hassle. That was last century though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looked into the national forest thing. . . Cherokee has several ranges. I guess what I meant was (perhaps I'm misunderstanding the situation out there), but it seems people in the big flat western states can just go out into BLM managed land and shoot in the desert. Is there anything like that here?
View Quote

No. AFAIK, there is no BLM-managed tracts of land in TN for starters. AFAIK land is owned/managed by one of several entities: privately owned, state owned (parks & such), Federally owned (mostly National parks or forest designated).

Those desert areas are also hundreds of square miles, sometimes more. TN just doesn't have that.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No. AFAIK, there is no BLM-managed tracts of land in TN for starters. AFAIK land is owned/managed by one of several entities: privately owned, state owned (parks & such), Federally owned (mostly National parks or forest designated).

Those desert areas are also hundreds of square miles, sometimes more. TN just doesn't have that.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I figured. Arfcom sometimes knows things Google doesn't though, so figured I'd ask
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Natchez Trace state park has camping and a range, IIRC
View Quote

Yup, shot a 3 gun night match there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#9]
there's some private land we could probably camp and shoot on where we did the get together a few years back.  would be fun

i'm looking for some places to shoot really long range now.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been out west and did what you are talking about, it's fantastic having all of that access.  I liked it so much I nearly moved there.

You pretty much have to buy land to do that here from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been out west and did what you are talking about, it's fantastic having all of that access.  I liked it so much I nearly moved there.

You pretty much have to buy land to do that here from what I've seen.
View Quote

Next goal: incrementally buy millions of acres so I can shoot on it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
there's some private land we could probably camp and shoot on where we did the get together a few years back.  would be fun

View Quote

In.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

How far is "really far" to you?

Fin and I shoot at Strategic Edge, and they have 1250yds.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

practicing for this:
NF ELR PRS match
i figure 1500 yards at 1000' ASL in TN is about like 1760 yards at 10,000' ASL in WY   (at least, my dope is the same for both)

1250 would be good once in a while
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really do need to look into this place.  I've got a .308 that has never seen past 350  Hell, I haven't even shot a rifle since I moved here, 2 years ago.  That's down right sad
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top