Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2016 7:48:28 PM EDT
I told ironhandjohn I'd not make a thread - but my joy has overcome me.

Strategic Edge is freaking awesome.

We did our orientation today and then hit the range.

The place is awesome. Had a lot of fun hitting steel out on the 100-500 range, but had a blast doing some run n gun in the carbine bays.

We had a great idea - there's several folks here who are members - let's have a mini HTF shoot soon!
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm just glad we didn't take any video of us running and gunning. While it was a tremendous amount of fun, I, in particular, don't make for a dashing, Tier One sight while lumbering between stations. My knees and back are going to remind me of this tomorrow, so my fat ass needs a bicycle or something.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
It seems like SE is our little secret, Fin. Too bad, but 'oh, goody' at the same time.

Rules, they have 'em, and while they may rub some people the wrong way, they are designed for safety and as a way of weeding out the riff-raff. Anyone who has been swept with a muzzle, had to stop while some dumb-ass gets up and walks downrange to check his target, or cringed due to someone's poor gun handling skills, will appreciate shooting at Strategic Edge.  Hell, it's over an hour drive each way for me, and I'm still going to shoot there at least once or twice a month. While I can walk to Royal Range from my house, the cost associated with a full membership there is about the same, and SE has something RR doesn't... Distance.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The rules for the pits were second nature after the first few minutes.

I'll be there on Friday and Saturday for the range maintenance and the shoot!

Maybe Sunday too as I'm covered up weekend after next.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a lot faster for me to just stay on 65 and get off at one of the Columbia exits, then cut through the woods to TN 270, rather than try 840 to 31A.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I was just looking at this place.  I just moved to Spring Hill and need a new home.  

Are they accepting new members?  I need to take a ccw class too.

Eta:  I'm overdue for a couple of carbine classes, how are those there?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was just looking at this place.  I just moved to Spring Hill and need a new home.  

Are they accepting new members?  I need to take a ccw class too.

Eta:  I'm overdue for a couple of carbine classes, how are those there?
View Quote

They have a cap on membership but email them and get on the waiting list.

As far as classes go - just joined over the weekend so no input....yet

Will definitely try and take one this spring

ETA: after watching the vid - they have added a lot more space on the rifle line. The building now goes almost all the way down for the rimfire area.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I just emailed them, hopefully it doesn't take too long, I'm rusty.  

Looks perfect for what I like to do.  Close too.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#8]
We probably saw each other if you guys were in the big group doing orientation in the afternoon. Friend and I were on the long range and came back in the golf cart from painting targets while you guys were there finishing the safety brief.
The range is awesome, we've been members since right before the membership really took off and its a freaking awesome place to shoot. Joined primarily for the long range but the pistol bays and all the steel over there are awesome too.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm on the list.  Any idea how many members they keep?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm on the list.  Any idea how many members they keep?
View Quote

I think between 1200 - 1500

They had two massive piles of renewals / forms for folks who joined but never once showed up to get their ID's. I'd estimate at least 200 in the pile
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd be in for a shoot
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#12]
what are the rules that rub people the wrong way?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
what are the rules that rub people the wrong way?
View Quote

No loaded weapons off the line = no CCW and applies to LEO as well.

Chamber flags in all weapons that are not on the line / in use.

All just forms of redundant safety which make for a better range experience. Also eliminates the "I know what I'm doing / I've been doing this for years" crowd.

The guest policy is also awesome - eliminates Billy and his 5 buddies from passing around his first handgun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Im definitely in for a shoot as well. Be good to meet you guys. Theres also going to be a demo day coming up in April. A couple SOT's are bringing a bunch of MGs out. It'll be a great time. I'm waiting to hear back from one of them and then I'll post a thread for details.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#15]
sounds good

what's the guest policy?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
sounds good

what's the guest policy?
View Quote

2 per year.

Guests cannot shoot while member is shooting.

For example if you are on the rifle ranges, you and your guest can't be shooting simultaneously. If they want to shoot you have to come off gun. Same goes for the action bays.

Since you live more than 75 miles away I'd strongly suggest a "long distance" membership which is $75. The range is tits.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Im definitely in for a shoot as well. Be good to meet you guys. Theres also going to be a demo day coming up in April. A couple SOT's are bringing a bunch of MGs out. It'll be a great time. I'm waiting to hear back from one of them and then I'll post a thread for details.
View Quote

So in.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

2 per year.

For example if you are on the rifle ranges, you and your guest can't be shooting simultaneously. If they want to shoot you have to come off gun. Same goes for the action bays.

Since you live more than 75 miles away I'd strongly suggest a "long distance" membership which is $75. The range is tits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sounds good

what's the guest policy?

2 per year.

How does the long distance membership work? In particular, would this be a possible new venue for the TN HTF shoots?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How does the long distance membership work? In particular, would this be a possible new venue for the TN HTF shoots?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
sounds good

what's the guest policy?

2 per year.

The only way it would be enjoyable would be for everyone in attendance to be a member.

1.) guest safety rules would hold members responsible for guests actions - no skin in the game as guest could put the members association in jeopardy if a guest wasn't compliant with range policy
2.) guest and member couldn't shoot at the same time - I'd not want to spend 1/2 the time playing chaperone

The other option might be to discuss an event with the range which would cost the same if not more than previous shoots. This was a contention for a lot of members of the past shoots.

So I personally don't think an open style HTF shoot is doable.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#20]
i'd try to show up if you guys put something together.  depends on schedule though as i'm traveling a lot
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The only way it would be enjoyable would be for everyone in attendance to be a member.

1.) guest safety rules would hold members responsible for guests actions - no skin in the game as guest could put the members association in jeopardy if a guest wasn't compliant with range policy
2.) guest and member couldn't shoot at the same time - I'd not want to spend 1/2 the time playing chaperone

The other option might be to discuss an event with the range which would cost the same if not more than previous shoots. This was a contention for a lot of members of the past shoots.

View Quote

I was thinking the $75 long-distance membership fee would make it cheaper than the old HTF shoots. I'd be willing to go through their membership process and pay for a long-distance membership if it meant I'd be able to go to HTF shoots once or twice a year.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was thinking the $75 long-distance membership fee would make it cheaper than the old HTF shoots. I'd be willing to go through their membership process and pay for a long-distance membership if it meant I'd be able to go to HTF shoots once or twice a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes that would be an ideal situation.

Hell its worth it to shoot there without it being a HTF shoot environment
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It seems like SE is our little secret, Fin. Too bad, but 'oh, goody' at the same time.

Rules, they have 'em, and while they may rub some people the wrong way, they are designed for safety and as a way of weeding out the riff-raff. Anyone who has been swept with a muzzle, had to stop while some dumb-ass gets up and walks downrange to check his target, or cringed due to someone's poor gun handling skills, will appreciate shooting at Strategic Edge.  Hell, it's over an hour drive each way for me, and I'm still going to shoot there at least once or twice a month. While I can walk to Royal Range from my house, the cost associated with a full membership there is about the same, and SE has something RR doesn't... Distance.
View Quote

How much is membership at RR or SE?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, but it's also a 3 and a half hour drive for me to get there. So once or twice a year would be about all I would go.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Royal Range's fees...

I had to look it up because I was with a local YouTube firearms celebrity, which meant I was pretty much invisible the entire time we were there. Looks like $25/hr and up from there. It doesn't take many visits to equal a year at SE.

It also looks like RR charges extra to shoot your suppressed firearm on their range, which is nuts.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SE is $150 a year for individual and I think like 25 bucks for a spouse and kids. They also do a distance membership if you are over 75 miles I think away, its only $75. Its a super nice facility. I've always had very good dealings with the other members I've met. Very nice guys. Partner and I are shooting a precision rifle match at K&M this spring so I'm anxious to see how it compares as I've heard good things, but I'm only 50 mins away from SE.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#27]
doubletap
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Royal Range's fees...

I had to look it up because I was with a local YouTube firearms celebrity, which meant I was pretty much invisible the entire time we were there. Looks like $25/hr and up from there. It doesn't take many visits to equal a year at SE.

It also looks like RR charges extra to shoot your suppressed firearm on their range, which is nuts.
View Quote

Hmmm....

They did not charge me any extra when I brought my MP5K-PDW and suppressor....

Then again, I also rented an MP5 (post sample) and they never asked what was in the case I was lugging around.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Glad to see you guys got in at SE . I'd been down for a little HTF shoot .
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hmmm....

Then again, I also rented an MP5 (post sample) and they never asked what was in the case I was lugging around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Royal Range's fees...

Hmmm....

Show-off...
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Show-off...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Royal Range's fees...

Hmmm....

Show-off...

You knew I was a victim of roller locked disease when we met....

I didn't get better, but I do have several new toys.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Get on the wait list for SE
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm going with plan B....

Build a berm on my land.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Build a berm on my land.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Build a berm on my land.

That was so last year

But still - you should sign up
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That was so last year

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Build a berm on my land.

That was so last year

65 miles each way....

Yeah, I don't see it happening but once or twice a year.

Then again, I haven't shot a rifle caliber gun since 2014, so maybe I should sign up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Build a berm on my land.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Build a berm on my land.

You might want to start with a road to your land first.

Edit: And if I'm up to driving a 20 year old Honda Civic all the way out there on at least a monthly basis, what's stopping you?
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll be there all day tomorrow if anyone is heading out there.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#38]
that looks awesome.  I wish we could use rifle-caliber carbines in the bays at ORSA (besides on match day).
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Royal Range's fees...

View Quote

The pistol+suppressor fee appears to be a fee to rent one of their handgun and suppressor combos, not to shoot your own.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Still...

I'd rather drive an hour each way and have all the range fun I wanted at SE.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Do they have any 3 gun stuff there?  I can't find much info on 3 gun in the area.   I'd actually prefer 2 gun, whichever.

eta: I'm not any good, not looking for pro stuff.    Just casual fun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#42]
They have barrels, barricades, and other stuff to use. It's all movable, and this is mainly how Fin and I shot when last we were there. I was having so much fun shooting like that I just dropped to my arthritic knees more than once, and paid for it the next morning. I'm bringing my knee pads next time for sure, maybe even a pair of elbow pads.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They have barrels, barricades, and other stuff to use. It's all movable, and this is mainly how Fin and I shot when last we were there. I was having so much fun shooting like that I just dropped to my arthritic knees more than once, and paid for it the next morning. I'm bringing my knee pads next time for sure, maybe even a pair of elbow pads.
View Quote

My knees hurt just reading that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

SE is $150 a year for individual and I think like 25 bucks for a spouse and kids. They also do a distance membership if you are over 75 miles I think away, its only $75. Its a super nice facility. I've always had very good dealings with the other members I've met. Very nice guys. Partner and I are shooting a precision rifle match at K&M this spring so I'm anxious to see how it compares as I've heard good things, but I'm only 50 mins away from SE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

K&M is super nice, but it ain't cheap at all.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
snip....

K&M is super nice, but it ain't cheap at all.
View Quote

K&M is $500/yr and no app fee.  K&M does do monthly if I am not mistaken. I would happily pay it, but I've already paid the app fee for MSSA ($400 app fee, then $240/yr). MSSA is a 20 min drive and K&M is a 75 min drive. Even with the drive time K&M would be worth the $500 if I wasn't already paid up at MSSA. I might do both memberships, if I get a raise and or a divorce. LOL.

I have looked at the SE website and it seems like a great deal. If I lived near it, I would get on the list.

I do recommend shooting a match or taking a class at K&M if that is your thing. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#46]
I submitted an email to get on the list.  $150 is nothin.

Will try to go at the same time as IHJ so I'm not the only one that feels like a gimped moose out there.

I've got a Mk12 Mod 1 coming in, and I may actually keep this one, so it's time to start looking at long ranges.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Will try to go at the same time as IHJ so I'm not the only one that feels like a gimped moose out there.

I've got a Mk12 Mod 1 coming in, and I may actually keep this one, so it's time to start looking at long ranges.
View Quote

At least I'm taller...

Fin and I are going out next weekend, as he's caught the 6.5 Grendel bug and I need to zero my 16" recce-ish rifle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

At least I'm taller...

Fin and I are going out next weekend, as he's caught the 6.5 Grendel bug and I need to zero my 16" recce-ish rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least I'm taller...

6.5 will prob be my next build.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Waiting on the barrel and bolt to ship for the 6.5G fun. Have the ammo already just not the hardware

It's MK18 and Mini recce day this Saturday.

We should go in the afternoon or Sunday as the bay's and short range is closed for two different matches.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Saturday afternoon would work better for me, got the Jazz-thing with my Pops to go to on Sunday afternoon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top