Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2016 1:49:54 PM EDT
I'll be taking a quick vacation to the Nashville area this spring to see my nephew graduate from Vanderbilt.

This coincides nicely with my desire to buy a certain O/U shotgun that only Academy Sports sells (Academy does not have any stores in my state).

Am I, as a NY resident with a NY license, allowed to buy a long gun in TN? I tried talking to Academy customer service to see if they would ship to an FFL here in NY, but the chick I spoke with seemed rather clueless about the whole process. Plus, I'd like to look at the gun in person prior to making a purchase.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Its allowed under federal law but, I fully expect the folks at Academy to vapor lock at the sight of your New York I.D. and refuse to sell to you.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its allowed under federal law but, I fully expect the folks at Academy to vapor lock at the sight of your New York I.D. and refuse to sell to you.
View Quote

Yep federally, an FFL in any state may sell a rifle or shotgun face to fact to a resident of any other state, but it must also comply with the laws of both states. Is the shotgun configuration you want legal in NYS?

I dont know how FFLs around the country exactly keep up with all the various state firearm laws, but certainly some just refuse to mess with selling to out-of-staters period, or at least those from some well known restrictive states like CA,NJ,NY,DE,CT.

Which doesn't answer your question of course, sorry -- no idea if Academy here will sell it to you or not.

- OS
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

I figured that Academy would be a crap shoot, but just wanted to make sure that it is legal for an out of stater to buy based on TN. Here in NY, it is illegal (imagine that!) for an out of stater to purchase any gun.

The shotgun in question, an O/U, is legal in NY. We aren't that bad....yet.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

I figured that Academy would be a crap shoot, but just wanted to make sure that it is legal for an out of stater to buy based on TN. Here in NY, it is illegal (imagine that!) for an out of stater to purchase any gun.

The shotgun in question, an O/U, is legal in NY. We aren't that bad....yet.
View Quote

Give it a shot.  Nothing to lose by trying since it is perfectly legal to do!
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Just because it's a shotgun doesn't make it legal to take possession out of state even from a dealer. Long guns are the only firearms that can be legally transferred to you out of state and only from a licensed dealer. Example of a shotgun that can not be transferred to you out of your state of residence would be a pistol gripped shotgun like a Mossberg 500 cruiser in addition you'll need to be at least 21yo to purchase that item from a dealer. Same goes if it's a receiver/frame.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Dare I ask why you don't buy it off of Gun Broker & then ship it to your FFL in NY?

What is this mystery O&U anyways?  
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dare I ask why you don't buy it off of Gun Broker & then ship it to your FFL in NY?

View Quote

Yildiz. Only imported by Academy. Any on gun broker would be used.

Op, I do not believe they will sell to you. I think they only sell to people in states that have a store i.e. someone from Texas can buy in Tennessee. They do make exceptions though. I would suggest you call their corporate office and ask for someone in firearm compliance. 281-646-5200. That way they have time to research before you come. Also, you could ask them about doing an ffl transfer to an ffl in your state if you buying it at the store is a no go. They will usually try to accommodate customers.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:57:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just because it's a shotgun doesn't make it legal to take possession out of state even from a dealer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just because it's a shotgun doesn't make it legal to take possession out of state even from a dealer.

Federally, yes, it does.

Quoted:Example of a shotgun that can not be transferred to you out of your state of residence would be a pistol gripped shotgun like a Mossberg 500 cruiser in addition you'll need to be at least 21yo to purchase that item from a dealer.

That is not a shotgun as far as FFL transfer and federal law is concerned. It is an "other firearm" in field 18, as stated on the 4473 itself.  Calling it a "long gun" or "shotgun" would also be incorrect in field 29.

Quoted:Same goes if it's a receiver/frame.

Which also is not a rifle or a shotgun.

- OS

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Double barrel over and under shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo. It's just like a side by side, except sideways.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yildiz. Only imported by Academy. Any on gun broker would be used. ETA: AND RARE!!!

Op, I do not believe they will sell to you. I think they only sell to people in states that have a store i.e. someone from Texas can buy in Tennessee. They do make exceptions though. I would suggest you call their corporate office and ask for someone in firearm compliance. 281-646-5200. That way they have time to research before you come. Also, you could ask them about doing an ffl transfer to an ffl in your state if you buying it at the store is a no go. They will usually try to accommodate customers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yildiz. Only imported by Academy. Any on gun broker would be used. ETA: AND RARE!!!

Bingo!

Been wanting an O/U for a while, but seeing as how it is very unlikely that I will put 1000s of rounds through it, I can't justify the cost of a high end one.

Thanks for the info, I'll give that a shot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Federally, yes, it does.

That is not a shotgun as far as FFL transfer and federal law is concerned. It is an "other firearm" in field 18, as stated on the 4473 itself.  Calling it a "long gun" or "shotgun" would also be incorrect in field 29.

- OS

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Federally, yes, it does.

Quoted:Example of a shotgun that can not be transferred to you out of your state of residence would be a pistol gripped shotgun like a Mossberg 500 cruiser in addition you'll need to be at least 21yo to purchase that item from a dealer.

Quoted:Same goes if it's a receiver/frame.

- OS

That was an easy $20
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Your nephew should gift it to you.

And you should give him a fat wad as a graduation present.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Your nephew should gift it to you....
View Quote

Still would need to be transferred through a TN or NY FFL to possess it back in state of NY.

- OS
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

A 'straw purchase' in the eyes of Uncle Fed, isn't it?

I wouldn't risk anything when the People's Republik of New York is involved.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even straw definition need apply. Just illegal period under 18 USC 922.

In a private transaction:

- The transferor commits a felony by selling, trading,  or giving any firearm to one who he knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a resident of a different state.
- The transferee commits a felony when he brings back or causes to have delivered into his home state any firearm acquired outside that state.

The only exception is interstate inheritance.

- OS
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Guns and More
164 S. Lowry St
Smyrna Tn 37167
615-905-1987

These guys helped a friend of mines boss legally transfer a pistol he couldn't find in Pa. Give them a holler
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Guns and More
164 S. Lowry St
Smyrna Tn 37167
615-905-1987

These guys helped a friend of mines boss legally transfer a pistol he couldn't find in Pa. Give them a holler
View Quote

All they could do was ship it to an FFL in PA for transfer to the guy, same as you can do as an individual.

- OS
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

- The transferor commits a felony by selling, trading,  or giving any firearm to one who he knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a resident of a different state.
- The transferee commits a felony when he brings back or causes to have delivered into his home state any firearm acquired outside that state.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

You need to update your idea of a straw purchase
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#21]
This sure seems like a lot of hassle for a Yildiz.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top