Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2016 1:04:14 PM EDT
I read through the range sticky, but would like a little more opinion.  I just moved to Hermitage from Knoxville, was a former member of TWRA Watershed and ORSA and am looking for someplace here to shoot.  I'll be shooting .22-.45 handguns, .22-.308 rifles (short to medium range) and non-aerial shotgun.  The only NFA stuff I'll be shooting is SBR and suppressed, no select fire stuff and I'm only looking for outdoor ranges.  I don't need some super nice Nashville celebrity range with carpet to keep your boots from getting a little mud on them, but I do want the normal amenities, like benches, target holders etc.  I've been able to get a little list together from Google and the other thread, but I was looking for actual opinions on the ranges around here.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#1]
TWRA range at the Cheatham Wildlife Management Area - Been quite a while since I've shot there, but I strongly suspect that the number 1 rule still applies there.

Do not go alone, and leave your buddy at the bench when you go downrange to change targets.  You may need your buddy to lay down cover fire, to help you get back to the bench, when some moron demonstrates that they don't know what a cold range is.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The TWRA range on Hobson Pike near Longhunter State Park is very close to you. Range officers and lots of rule which is not a bad thing. I have never shot there, I'm a member at Gallatin Gun Club.  The waiting list is years longs so I don't even suggest it to new people.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you re-upped?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd suggest Strategic Edge, but it's a long ways from you......

http://www.strategicedge.us/gun-range
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd suggest Strategic Edge, but it's a long ways from you......

http://www.strategicedge.us/gun-range
View Quote

And they're not taking new applications until the summer. Email them and get on the waiting list, though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:28:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The TWRA range on Hobson Pike near Longhunter State Park is very close to you. Range officers and lots of rule which is not a bad thing. I have never shot there, I'm a member at Gallatin Gun Club.  The waiting list is years longs so I don't even suggest it to new people.
View Quote

GGC member here too. OP get on the wait list, I made it so you can too. It might take until 2020 but you'll make it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:58:51 AM EDT
[#8]
GGC member here also.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]
TWRA in Cheatham County is fun if you're interested in trying your luck on a two way range.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Royal Range in Bellevue should be open soon, if it isn't already. I love around he corner from there, so it may become my home range. Cheatham WRMA is populated by idiots, gangbangers, and hillbillies on the weekends, and they make it an unpleasant place to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
TWRA in Cheatham County is fun if you're interested in trying your luck on a two way range.
View Quote

Geesh, that place is on my list of places to shoot, but two people in this thread alone have made it sound dangerous.

Is there a safe place nearby to shoot rifles beyond 100 yrds?

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Royal Range in Bellevue should be open soon, if it isn't already. I love around he corner from there, so it may become my home range. Cheatham WRMA is populated by idiots, gangbangers, and hillbillies on the weekends, and they make it an unpleasant place to shoot.
View Quote

Royal Range is open. I haven't tried out the range yet - might be renting a MG this Saturday to shoot with another Arfcom member.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Geesh, that place is on my list of places to shoot, but two people in this thread alone have made it sound dangerous.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TWRA in Cheatham County is only 100 yards.

Think about a place on the far edge of nowhere, with zero supervision, populated by an assorted blend of rednecks and vibrant culture types all armed and few with any concern for safety or human life.

It can be quite interesting at times.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I've only been shot at twice, and one of those times was at Cheatham. The range was called cold, and several of us walked to the 100yd range to pull & hang targets. A woman set out some empty Coke cans on the edge of the 25 yard berm and starts shooting at them with her .22 rifle. One of her little bullets hit the post close to my buddy's head and we immediately dove into our bellies. Some sheriff's deputies were getting out of their cars, and got her to stop shooting, running her off before we could get back and strangle the stupid bitch.

There's safety in numbers of you go there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've only been shot at twice, and one of those times was at Cheatham. The range was called cold, and several of us walked to the 100yd range to pull & hang targets. A woman set out some empty Coke cans on the edge of the 25 yard berm and starts shooting at them with her .22 rifle. One of her little bullets hit the post close to my buddy's head and we immediately dove into our bellies. Some sheriff's deputies were getting out of their cars, and got her to stop shooting, running her off before we could get back and strangle the stupid bitch.

There's safety in numbers of you go there.
View Quote

The only range I've taken fire at was Owl Hollow back in 2005-2006 time frame.

God damned family of rednecks unloaded their gun cases, opened them up, loaded up, and started firing without even looking downrange first to see us out there setting up targets. They didn't seem to need or want to setup their own targets before getting to shooting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't been shot at, but have seen idiots set their guns on a bench, then take off downrange to put up targets... ...while people are shooting two or three benches over.
That was at Cheatham.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Think about a place on the far edge of nowhere, with zero supervision, populated by an assorted blend of rednecks and vibrant culture types all armed and few with any concern for safety or human life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, it was Mongomery County Shoothing Complex that I was thinking about.

LOL....Here's an article about a kid getting shot at Cheatham County.   I think I'll skip that range.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

GGC member here too. OP get on the wait list, I made it so you can too. It might take until 2020 but you'll make it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked into GGC, but the wait scared me off.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

LOL....Here's an article about a kid getting shot at Cheatham County.   I think I'll skip that range.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A wise choice.

It isn't a bad place when you are the only ones there. If other people are there it can get exciting.

It's probably a good place if you want to test out some armor, or film a "How not to act at the range" documentary.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Have you re-upped?
View Quote

Yes as I'm on the wait list at the other spot.

Gotta chase the dragon
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Gotta chase the dragon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you re-upped?

Gotta chase the dragon

We should try RR sometime.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Owl Hollow. It's in spring hill. Just down 65 south. I have also shot at twra  Hobson pike but had enough of that bs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:46:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last time I was there, I was proned out, zeroing an AR at the pistol section. I looked up and to the right, to see a Makarov, 2 feet away, pointed at my head while the elderly Russian couple were trying to clear the jam. Both of them were trying to clear the jam. Together. Fuck me.

2 way range for sure.

I've been at Strategic Edge for 2 years and I think I saw someone drop a cigarette butt, outside of the trashcan, once.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Last time I was there, I was proned out, zeroing an AR at the pistol section. I looked up and to the right, to see a Makarov, 2 feet away, pointed at my head while the elderly Russian couple were trying to clear the jam. Both of them were trying to clear the jam. Together. Fuck me.

2 way range for sure.

I've been at Strategic Edge for 2 years and I think I saw someone drop a cigarette butt, outside of the trashcan, once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 way range for sure.

im jonesing for them to hit my spot on the wait list
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Me, too..
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#27]
The TWRA range on Hobson Pike has 2 - 200 yard points.  It's recommended that you have a good 100 yard zero before trying it.  A golf cart is used to service the targets.  The RSO's, of which I'm one, see more malfunctioning guns, novice shooters and unsafe gun handling in a year than most shooters see in a lifetime.  Therefore the rules have to be tailored to the lowest common denominator.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The TWRA range on Hobson Pike has 2 - 200 yard points.  It's recommended that you have a good 100 yard zero before trying it.  A golf cart is used to service the targets.  The RSO's, of which I'm one, see more malfunctioning guns, novice shooters and unsafe gun handling in a year than most shooters see in a lifetime.  Therefore the rules have to be tailored to the lowest common denominator.
View Quote

At least you watch them. At Cheatham if you got popped by another shooter, you might lay out there for awhile before someone found you. Your guns, wallet, and phone would all be missing, too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

At least you watch them. At Cheatham if you got popped by another shooter, you might lay out there for awhile before someone found you. Your guns, wallet, and phone would all be missing, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ever notice that the rangers have tunnel vision when they pass the range? No eye contact, looking straight ahead - the range does not exist

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#30]
For those at strat edge:

The bylaws say no wolf / m855 / etc on the plates.

Are these OK for paper targets?

M193 and similar then for steel plate shooting?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#31]
M855 / SS109 is fine on paper only .

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Is SE staffed all the time?

Is rapid fire allowed?

Heard they are very anal and have range nazi's.

I'm all about safety but HATE Elmer J Fudd.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is SE staffed all the time? No

Is rapid fire allowed? Yes; Full-auto friendly

Heard they are very anal and have range nazi's. The members are the RSOs...  Follow the basic safety rules and it should be smooth sailing.

I'm all about safety but HATE Elmer J Fudd.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Hobson Pike TWRA range is a nice facility but the hours of operation make it all but unusable. The others are better (Montgomery is nice) but a bit of drive from your location. There are quite a few indoor ranges that are closer and all together better imho. Nashville Armory and the Bellevue Royal range , Guns and Leather, and On Target(Boro), plus a few more are really the best way to go for handgun. If you find a good, cheap, accessible place to shoot rifle please post. I work near Hermitage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top