User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2015 1:20:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Murfreesboro
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You used to be at the Goodman shows at the fairgrounds. Why'd you stop attending?
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You used to be at the Goodman shows at the fairgrounds. Why'd you stop attending?
View Quote

Not enough beef jerky?  
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There was an issue between a former manager and Goodman, but that's all better now.
View Quote

There's a long, long line of those folks.....................  
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was an issue between a former manager and Goodman, but that's all better now.

So can someone explain why so many dealers have an issue with Goodman?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an ex dealer that used to do his shows, lets take a few in order.

1.  He jerks the dealers around by changing HIS rules according to his mood.

2.  He hires STUPID folks to run his shows when he is not there (the norm).

3.  NO advertising.

4.  Compared to some other shows it is bare bones for the dealers.  No hospitality room for the dealers where they can eat a quick bite in PEACE.  That is one thing I have to give the REALLY big shows like Tulsa and the Ohio Gun Collectors show.

5.  Screwing the dealers as to WHERE and how their tables are.  For example my partner and I always had a 9 table end cap.  One time we would be in one place, the next who knows until you get there and found one of his friends have your spot.

And on and ON.

RK shows may not be much better visitor wise, but he treats his dealers better and DOES advertise.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've never seen this in the 7 years I've been setting up there.

I've never had a problem with Jack or any of the guys.

3.  NO advertising.
Bill Goodman Gun & Knife Show tell a buddy bring a friend.  Nope no advertising

4.  Compared to some other shows it is bare bones for the dealers.  No hospitality room for the dealers where they can eat a quick bite in PEACE.  That is one thing I have to give the REALLY big shows like Tulsa and the Ohio Gun Collectors show.
OK I'll agree with that.  It would be nice for just a dealer only break room.

5.  Screwing the dealers as to WHERE and how their tables are.  For example my partner and I always had a 9 table end cap.  One time we would be in one place, the next who knows until you get there and found one of his friends have your spot.
After my first year of doing every show I was assigned a permanent spot.  I took some months off and was moved but haven't been moved since.

And on and ON.
I've never had an issue with Goodman or his rules that haven't changed for me.

RK shows may not be much better visitor wise, but he treats his dealers better and DOES advertise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3.  NO advertising.

After my first year of doing every show I was assigned a permanent spot.  I took some months off and was moved but haven't been moved since.

And on and ON.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#9]
To be fair, Pope had a long list of dealers pissed at him too. He'd often promise two (or more) dealers the same spot of tables & then leave poor Tammy to sort it out..........  He was often moody & mercurial, leading to ill feelings for no logical reason at all. One show I worked for Specialty Arms when the Insta-check first began, the phone system went down completely but the computer link still worked. So Specialty called them in to their shop & they'd call back with the approval #. Pope then decrees that Specialty's owner would then do this for EVERY dealer in order to make things "fair". Needless to say, this became a turd in a punchbowl.  

Promoters are often twins of gun shop owners. Independent, opinionated & stubborn. Too often owners & promoters refuse to compromise & this again leads to much butt hurt.

For the record, I've only worked shows in TN but I've done them from Memphis to Morristown. I've NEVER seen a "dealer only" break room anywhere. Most places simply didn't have the space or the floor plan to do so.

Ken's Guns is a good example of getting screwed. He got mad at Goodman, got mad at RK & now has virtually no shows to attend. I don't think he does the Great American circuit although he'd be a big fish in a small pond there, IMO.

I know there's the promoter's side of things as well. I've heard many horror/funny stories from Tammy as she did shows for close to 20 years. Dealers aren't choirboys either, shall we say...........  
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#10]
ALOT of things have changed in the last 12 years then.  About 12 years ago Goodman lost half of the dealers that set up.  He USED to have enough dealers to fill up BOTH side of the building he is using now.  He has changed because the other half from then was about to quit doing his shows in Nashville.  Used to be some good dealers came down from Ohio and Indiana that had some good stuff and deals.  I have not seen ANY of them doing Nashville during the last 11 years.  They are still doing shows.  Just NOT Goodman's.

The 'dealer' break room used to be in the restaurant section adjoining the current building.  That also used to be open during shows so folks could eat without leaving the show.

Glad to hear things have changed.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3.  NO advertising.

And on and ON.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#12]
You may want to review the Tennessean article just published.
The show will be held this coming weekend but anything after
30 days from now will be cancelled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top