Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2015 6:28:38 PM EDT
If you been thinking of joining MSSA- do yourself a favor and do it this month or next.  I HEAR that Jan. 1 the initiation goes to $500 and the annual goes to $300 a year.  Wait a few months and your membership will cost a LOT MORE.

Just brought two friends in to join in the last 8 days.  They're glad they did.  Plus if you join now they prorate the annual dues which are due June 1 so you only pay half.  Buy you and your family an early Christmas present if you can.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I was a member in 1982-1984.  I think the buy-in was 250 and dues were 185 or so.  I moved to Nashville in 1985 until 1992.  When I moved back is was 400 and 240ish.

I think the level you join at is where you stay which is mighty Christian of them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
MSSA is going to a 3 tier dues structure, effective 01/01/2016.

Tier 1 is the old, grandfathered dues.

Tier 2 is in effect until the end of the year.

($400 initiation fee, $240 a year, $25 for spouse, children up to the age of 24 provided they are in school, are free.)

Tier 3, starts 01/01/2016

($500 initiation fee, $300 a year, $25 for spouse, children up to the age of 24 provided they are in school, are free.)

If you were considering membership, now would be the time to come and check out the club.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad I joined last may, though I've only had time to go out there about 3 times since then.  I really need to get qualified on the action range.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad I joined last may, though I've only had time to go out there about 3 times since then.  I really need to get qualified on the action range.
View Quote

You will need to shoot a match. You will have to be qualified for pistol, shotgun and rifle separately. Shot a 3 gun match and they will endorse you for all three.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Will they let you go on a tour? That is a lot of money to put down and not be able to look first.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Will they let you go on a tour? That is a lot of money to put down and not be able to look first.
View Quote

Its worth it.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Of course, but the best way to do it is go with a current member or go on some weekend and sign up to shoot one of the various disciplines and ask the match director or somebody to show you around after it's over.

It's a fair amount of cash to drop the first time so I get it.

That said, you don't have to be a member to shoot any of the scheduled matches so keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay, thanks. I will try to check it out soon. I may try to call today and see if I can come out and look.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Hell, if a group of folks want to come out for a look-see, we can schedule that.

...then go drankin'.....

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Dang, that's expensive
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Its worth it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its worth it.

Well, it is really your only option in that area.  I've been there once as a guest and wasn't impressed.  I would cringe at paying a $500 joining fee and $300 annual membership.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You will need to shoot a match. You will have to be qualified for pistol, shotgun and rifle separately. Shot a 3 gun match and they will endorse you for all three.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they now have separate endorsements for each on the AP range, or are you talking about the rifle range too?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do they now have separate endorsements for each on the AP range, or are you talking about the rifle range too?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lynn said it is for AP area only.  Seperate endorsements. Those of us that shoot 3 gun will be grandfathered and will get all 3 endorsements.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, it is really your only option in that area.  I've been there once as a guest and wasn't impressed.  I would cringe at paying a $500 joining fee and $300 annual membership.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its worth it.

Well, i went once and loved it. The application fee is high, but it keeps out he area riff raff of all sorts (not a race thing). It is worth knowing the guy shooting next to me has been through a thorough check. To expensive for sighting in your deer rifle once a year.  My wife and kids love it.

600 yard range (NRA High Power - F Class match range)
200/300 range
8 bay action pistol bays
15 trap/skeet bays
sporting clays
2, 10 person + covered 100 yard rifle bays
1, 10 person + covered 50 yard rifle bay
1, 10 person covered 15 yard pistol bay
Cowboy Action
Archery range with elevated  shooting stand.
nice club house
member flea markets
NRA and CMP affiliated
etc
etc

Go to MSSA and shoot some matches. You dont need to be a member to shoot matches. Meet the folks there first. The shooters are great. The match directors and match shooters will be very helpful. I must admit a few of the ROs for the non-endorsed areas can be a bit unsocial. If you go, try to get a tour from Bobby.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lynn said it is for AP area only.  Seperate endorsements. Those of us that shoot 3 gun will be grandfathered and will get all 3 endorsements.
View Quote

Huh... wasn't aware of that.   Damn all bureaucracy right to hell.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well, i went once and loved it. The application fee is high, but it keeps out he area riff raff of all sorts (not a race thing). It is worth knowing the guy shooting next to me has been through a thorough check. To expensive for sighting in your deer rifle once a year.  My wife and kids love it.

200/300 range
8 bay action pistol bays
15 trap/skeet bays
sporting clays
Cowboy Action
nice club house
member flea markets
NRA and CMP affiliated
etc
etc

Go to MSSA and shoot some matches. You dont need to be a member to shoot matches. Meet the folks there first. The shooters are great. The match directors and match shooters will be very helpful. I must admit a few of the ROs for the non-endorsed areas can be a bit unsocial. If you go, try to get a tour from Bobby.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its worth it.

200/300 range
8 bay action pistol bays
15 trap/skeet bays
sporting clays
Cowboy Action
nice club house
member flea markets
NRA and CMP affiliated
etc
etc

I live 6 hours away.  I went there with an acquaintance once while in Memphis.  It is not a bad range.  There was a "fudd" vibe.  I'm not used to range nazi's, chamber flags, and flashing red lights to notify when the range is going cold.

From what I understand, you have to get qualified to use the 600 yard range and that it is only open certain times.

I'm fortunate to live where I do.  800 member range for $115 per year, 2 covered rifle ranges, skeet house, clubhouse, archery range, 5 pistol ranges, and full auto range.  Weekly 3 gun, USPSA, cowboy, and skeet shoots.  If I want to shoot extreme long range, Oak Ridge is a little over an hour away.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Cheaper than the K&N facility in Finger; but I prefer the solitude during the week.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cheaper than the K&N facility in Finger; but I prefer the solitude during the week.
View Quote

The two do not compare.  Not even close.

Also, even the 600 yd range at MSSA is limited to 100yd increments.  All targets go up at the 600yd berm and you can only shoot from the 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yd shooting spots.  You cannot shoot a target at 465 for instance.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Also, even the 600 yd range at MSSA is limited to 100yd increments.  All targets go up at the 600yd berm and you can only shoot from the 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yd shooting spots.  You cannot shoot a target at 465 for instance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang. I didn't know it was like that. I love shooting steel. K&M has 250+ pieces of steel plus movers. And they are empty during the weekdays. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Dang. I didn't know it was like that. I love shooting steel. K&M has 250+ pieces of steel plus movers. And they are empty during the weekdays. Thanks for the info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I am going to save my pennies for a K&M membership, but it will probably take me a while.  I have access to land in whiteville, its closer and free.  But I have to setup my own steel :(
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#21]
If my wife joins does she need to pay the initiation fee of $400 also or is there just one fee?
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If my wife joins does she need to pay the initiation fee of $400 also or is there just one fee?
Thanks
View Quote

No. Wife is just another $25/year. Kids under 21 (maybe 23) are free.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#23]
And if you married a younger chick just claim she's your child.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Me and a buddy went out Saturday and signed up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#25]
A friend is a member there and I went with him. For what is available in the Memphis area, the place is amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top