Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 7:26:05 PM EDT
That's right folks. There is an Appleseed event in Como, MS just a few minutes south of Memphis this month, Sept 26-27. We had a blast last time and are going back so the people who almost shot Rifleman but didn't on their first try can earn their patch and also have a few new people interested as well.

Just like last time I will help anyone who wants to go. I can install sling hardware on your gun, install a Volquartsen target hammer on your 10-22 which greatly improves the trigger, install Tech sights on your gun which are perfect for Appleseed. Scopes are OK too. I can take you out and get you zeroed and can even give you a ride if you need one. I will help you for free if you just buy the parts.

The first time we went I wasn't sure what to expect but let me tell you it exceeded my expectations in all ways. If you have a young shooter it is perfect. The teenage girl next door went with us last time and while she was interested in guns she had no real experience or trigger time. By the end of the two days she was running a 10-22 like she was born with one. I am an old hand with guns but still learned some things and it helped my shooting.

Late Sept is usually great weather and I have a shade tent to sit under. The 10-22 is probably the best gun to use equipped  with Tech Sights installed and a GI sling. The target hammer is optional but very nice to have. Marlin offers a model 795 LTR already set up for Appleseed if you want to go that route. Any gun will do though for the most part. Scopes or iron sights, doesn't matter.

If you like to shoot and want to have a great weekend with a new shooter or a seasoned shooter don't miss this Appleseed. I can tell you exactly what you need, which isn't much, to be comfortable and prepared and have a really good time.

The 22 ammo crisis seems to be passing. A buddy bought Mini Mags at Walmart locally today. I see plenty at good prices on line. The CCI is the way to go on ammo. Standard velocity, mini mag, or blazer all shoot very well with no jams. The bulk ammo and automatch don't do as well at least out of the guns I have worked with.

Here is the link to the event:

Appleseed in Como, MS Sept 26-27

Quit sitting around saying you are going to do it and actually do it this month!

______

AAR

Another great Appleseed! Perfect weather, really nice. My 17 year old daughter shot Rifleman this time so she is very happy. That child has been shooting since she was 6 but it was mostly shooting 22 pistols at 7 yards and plinking around with 22 rifles. Never a hunter really. Squirrel hunted a little when she was younger.

But after doing the Appleseed training, yesterday she was ringing a 12" round steel plate at 300 yards with a 16" AR15 8 out of 10 times. She had probably only fired 20 rounds out of an AR in her life. She could not miss a 22" square plate at 200 yards. She was pretty proud of herself and she should be since she has learned to make those hits. She could not believe she could make those hits but that is the standard Appleseed trains to, 4 MOA.

Two young teenagers who were there had never shot a gun before in their life. They went from hitting a spot the size of a piece of notebook paper to being able to put 8 out of 10 rounds onto a 1" square at 25 yards. That kind of accuracy carries out to longer ranges as my daughter can testify.

I can not say enough good things about Appleseed and the level of accuracy they can get you too if you learn what they are teaching. All with a 22 at 25 yards. I would really encourage everyone who can to go to Appleseed esp if you have kids. It is great training. The next Appleseed is coming up in October so you won't have to wait long to make one.

October 24-25 Appleseed in Como, MS
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It's getting closer to the Appleseed weekend and the weather is looking good. Still time to order some CCI ammo from Palmetto so you will have plenty. You will likely shoot close to a brick. I am going to be working on a couple rifles this week but I can do yours too. If you need parts from Brownells I will be making an order this week if you want to piggy back on it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Appleseed is this upcoming weekend and you can still sign up. If you want to go and don't have a gun I have two extra rifles you can borrow. One scoped and one iron sighted. Just get a brick of CCI ammo. Palmetto has standard velocity on sale this weekend. That stuff shoots amazing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump w AAR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top