Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2015 8:30:39 AM EDT
So...

Never lived in a city before.  Came from a small town where everyone knows everyone, and party lines were clearly established.

Now I get this crazy ballot for Davidson County council and I am lacking direction.  I've been reading up on the candidates, and this is where I'm at:

Council At Large - Ken Jakes, John Lasiter, Phillip Hostettler... Need two more

Vice Mayor: Tim Garrett

Mayor:  No clue

District 19:  No Clue

Any guidance?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Of the group of progressive "let's keep Nashville on the correct course toward a liberal utopia" candidates for mayor, Fox seems to be the least liberal of the bunch.

What about the amendments?

Somebody wants to reduce the number of council members, because other cities of similar size have smaller councils.  But the council members of those cities have higher pay, better offices, bigger staffs...

And allowing council members to serve a longer term limit allows them to get more entrenched in politics, more corrupt...

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, not a fan of changing term limits.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I voted against all three amendments... the amendments basically want to allow council members to serve more and longer terms.   I am against professional politicians.
The third amendment would require large projects to have over %40 of the labor be Davidson county residents.   While I appreciate the thought behind it, it is kinda like affirmative action.  I want someone to be hired because they do a good job, not because they have a certain number of employees from within Davidson COunty.

I voted Fox for mayor, because he seems to be the least liberal.    Briley for vice-mayor---lesser of 2 evils.
At large council only one or two really struck me as being worth a poot.  
I used :http://readytoserve.co/candidates/?race=council-at-large as my reference
I voted Carota, Hostettler, Jakes, Mendes, and I don't remember the last one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I voted against all three amendments... the amendments basically want to allow council members to serve more and longer terms.   I am against professional politicians.

The third amendment would require large projects to have over %40 of the labor be Davidson county residents.   While I appreciate the thought behind it, it is kinda like affirmative action.  I want someone to be hired because they do a good job, not because they have a certain number of employees from within Davidson COunty.

I voted Fox for mayor, because he seems to be the least liberal.    Briley for vice-mayor---lesser of 2 evils.

At large council only one or two really struck me as being worth a poot.  

I used :http://readytoserve.co/candidates/?race=council-at-large as my reference

I voted Carota, Hostettler, Jakes, Mendes, and I don't remember the last one.

View Quote

Mendes is for the inclusionary zoning.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd vote for Ironhand John for mayor.  He's a man that can get stuff done or stuff people into trash cans
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'd vote for Ironhand John for mayor.  He's a man that can get stuff done or stuff people into trash cans
View Quote

He can start with the homeless that hang in the park on Church St.  I'll pay per scalp.

I mean... ear.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[
  Mendes is for the inclusionary zoning.  
View Quote

I must have missed that detail....bummer
C'est a vie!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Fox spoke at the Nashville TFA meeting & was well received by most folks there. He's whom I'm voting for, FWIW.

Briley is a HUGE liberal, makes Bernie Sanders look like Rush Limbaugh, IMO..................  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He can start with the homeless that hang in the park on Church St.  I'll pay per scalp.

I mean... ear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean... ear.

Scalps are worthless, anyway. Lice bring down the value. Some of those Church Street bums are probably members of my ex-wife's family. Haven't seen them in twenty years, but I'd still gladly feed them all to lions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top