Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2015 6:28:23 PM EDT
Daily News Journal article

The Outpost Armory announced in a press release posted to Facebook last week that it will merge with a Franklin-based weapons retailer.

The Outpost, which is located at 5435 Miller Lane in Christiana, will combine retail operations with Everything Weapons, said Chris Barrett, president of The Outpost and Barrett Firearms.

David Cooper, president of Everything Weapons, will own and operate The Outpost along with his two retail locations and a gun range in Brentwood and Franklin.

“This acquisition allows us to double our footprint and scale up buying power,” Cooper said.

He plans to add an AR Build Center to The Outpost and Barrett weapons to Everything Weapons. The AR Build Center lets buyers customize their semi-automatic sporting rifles with distinctive components.

“We were already able to negotiate excellent deals for our customers and we expect this new combination will further improve our position with manufacturers,” Cooper said.

The merger is expected to be completed this summer.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like Ronnie Barrett wants to retire?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Or Chris ran The Outpost into the ground. Either is plausible, though I don't know where EW is getting the $$ for the buy. His stores are never busy when I go by, he brings the same guns to every gun show where they have a table....

And then there's the whole "EW employee putting his hand on his pistol while telling a fellow Arfcommer to leave the store, while guy is holding his little girl" event.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Or Chris ran The Outpost into the ground. Either is plausible, though I don't know where EW is getting the $$ for the buy. His stores are never busy when I go by, he brings the same guns to every gun show where they have a table....

And then there's the whole "EW employee putting his hand on his pistol while telling a fellow Arfcommer to leave the store, while guy is holding his little girl" event.
View Quote

True about the $$$ part, IMO. I hadn't heard about the "hand on the pistol" event...........  

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I have not darkened the door of Outpost since about 2010  or 11 when I had enough of their crappy, arrogant customer service. When Rick Lee left the GM spot there it went to hell.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

True about the $$$ part, IMO. I hadn't heard about the "hand on the pistol" event...........  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How I remember the story.

Guys goes into EW with daughter looking for handguns. Guy asks EW customer to look at guns and is told that he can only look at one gun at a time. Guy asks why, and EW employee responds by placing his hand on his sidearm and asking the guy to leave.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Or Chris ran The Outpost into the ground.
View Quote

Going with this. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. He likes to talk how he "invents"  all this stuff there at Barrett. Nothing could be further from the truth. And the worst weapons handler ever. No telling how many times I saw him walk through the shop with a loaded Uzi, bolt to the rear and finger on the trigger. Bebopping through the shop on his way out to the attached range. When I would ask him about it, he would look at his trigger finger , shrug his shoulders and keep walking.

He would constantly have friends in during lunch to go out on the range to shoot one of the select fire 6.8's. I would find the fully loaded rifle on my work table with no one around.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's been wanting to for a long time. At least since before I left there in late '04
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He's been wanting to for a long time. At least since before I left there in late '04
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess finding a suitable heir to pass the company off to is what slowed his retirement. Between Chris and "The Queen of the Run-On Sentence" whom was in charge of the sales literature, it wasn't going to be an easy choice.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have not darkened the door of Outpost since about 2010  or 11 when I had enough of their crappy, arrogant customer service. When Rick Lee left the GM spot there it went to hell.
View Quote

Yeah, I travel from Clarksville to Chattanooga all the time.    I've popped in twice and that was enough.   From arrogant salespeople to overhearing the comment of "all you need to do is rack this shotgun, it is the scariest sound on the planet"....I was done as well.

Edit:  quote was from the salesman.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Between Chris and "The Queen of the Run-On Sentence" whom was in charge of the sales literature, it wasn't going to be an easy choice.
View Quote

I just bust a gut laughing. That was awesome.

The only person suitable to take over would be Chris V.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Meh.

Anyone with a brain and a few days to wait can get stuff much cheaper online.

I know from a source in the banking industry that EW was looking to raise capital a while back, wonder if it was for this.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd probably check out a "going out of business" sale. Not much else would draw me in after what I've heard about EW.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Between Chris and "The Queen of the Run-On Sentence" whom was in charge of the sales literature, it wasn't going to be an easy choice.

Geeeezzz, you remember what their brochures were like.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes. I remember what the brochures were like.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Going with this. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. He likes to talk how he "invents"  all this stuff there at Barrett. Nothing could be further from the truth. And the worst weapons handler ever. No telling how many times I saw him walk through the shop with a loaded Uzi, bolt to the rear and finger on the trigger. Bebopping through the shop on his way out to the attached range. When I would ask him about it, he would look at his trigger finger , shrug his shoulders and keep walking.

He would constantly have friends in during lunch to go out on the range to shoot one of the select fire 6.8's. I would find the fully loaded rifle on my work table with no one around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or Chris ran The Outpost into the ground.

I worked at a place where the owner's son claimed to have done everything, and developed everything, himself.  

First time it really sank in how bad it was, was a couple years after I started working there, and he was standing less than 10 feet away from me, telling a newly hired employee of his accomplishments, and he claimed to have done something that I did.  The guy didn't care how many people around him knew he was full of shit, as long as he could impress somebody with his BS.

One of the old timers in the shop, said he always got a kick out of watching the reaction when a new shop manager would finally figure out what they were dealing with.  I eventually understood his fascination with watching for that, when I was bent over, hands on my knees, laughing my ass off at the shocked face and WTF? rant of a new manager that couldn't understand how the owner's son could damage a customer's property bad enough to delay delivery for at least a day (when the customer was already there to pick it up), then walk away as if he had done nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Where on earth is EW getting the money?  Outpost isn't a small shop.  Does it come with the building, or do they lease?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:10:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Ronnie owns the building.  He bought it back around '02 or so. It was still a gas station and snack bar then
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ronnie owns the building.  He bought it back around '02 or so. It was still a gas station and snack bar then

View Quote

Is he selling his failing business and collecting rent from the new guy?  That's a smart move...
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't know. Haven't had dealings with them in a long time. I avoid them. I stay in contact with one or two friends that still work at the manufacturing side. They don't even go to the Outpost. They say it's too expensive.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn. I was hoping to swing by there and pick up a couple of M107s after I got my ticket punched in Nashville. Oh well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#21]
EW salesman (or woman) once told me it was illegal for me to have a privately owned rifle shipped in to them for transfer.

I have never been back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top