Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2015 10:54:17 PM EDT
Anybody ever been sequestered while on a jury in Memphis?

If so, how was it?

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:53:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Wasn't sequestered but did pull jury duty the week of the Chris Jones murder trial in Memphis a few weeks ago.  The group called ahead of us was actually the one they pulled the jury from.  From what little we heard about them, after the jury was selected they were told to report the next day with a couple suitcases.  I believe they put them up in a hotel downtown for the 4 days of the trial.  They ended up delivering a verdict that Saturday.

The judge for our case told us right off the bat we would not be sequestored.  We had to report at 0930 for two days until the testifying detective screwed up and they declared a mistrial.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I was sequestered on a murder trial about 12 years ago.  I was single at the time, so I didn't think it was too bad.  We went out to eat for everything, always had two or three deputies with us.  Had to stay at the Marriott the whole time while not in the courtroom.  Drawback was we had to share rooms and you couldn't read the paper, look at the internet, communicate with anyone outside the trail.  Another good point is no lawyer will want you on their jury trail ever again.  Had jury duty last year (a civil case) and when they asked me if I had served on a jury before, I said yes, a sequestered trial.  That was the only question I was asked and I was dismissed later.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Never mind, I was excused.  Don't have to mess with that for 10 years, and I won't be living in Shelby County then.

Quoted:
Had jury duty last year (a civil case) and when they asked me if I had served on a jury before, I said yes, a sequestered trial.  That was the only question I was asked and I was dismissed later.
View Quote

Everybody who had been on a criminal jury were excused on the first round.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top