BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2015 10:24:51 PM EDT
www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2015/op15-12.pdf

This is some crap!

Edit of title per snerds suggestion
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:28:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it's an exception if you use a non-922r compliant SIG brace equipped AK pistol fired from the shoulder. With a bootlace tied to the trigger guard.

- OS
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#2]
So what was legal yesterday is now illegal and hundreds, possibly thousands of people have woken up this morning instant felons.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#3]
What does his opinion mean?  I would assume that it has to be a ruling before it takes effect?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
It would appear that Rep. MARK PODY started this ball rolling.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Whether he's right or wrong, I would assume that this means he intends to charge and try people for possessing and using tannerite.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#6]
that is unfortunate.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Huh. And according to his profile page on the state site, he is a member of both the NRA and TFA.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh. And according to his profile page on the state site, he is a member of both the NRA and TFA.

The NRA doesn't really give two shits about gun rights. I can guarantee they don't want Nolo to succeed, that would take away half of their funding/money.

FNRA
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So what was legal yesterday is now illegal and hundreds, possibly thousands of people have woken up this morning instant felons.
View Quote

The way I read it is that I don't think it is illegal to own tannerite (or similar substances) in an unmixed state; the illegal act only occurs once someone mixes (i.e. manufactures) the exploding target.

"You ask if combining the elements of a binary explosive, such as ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder, constitutes the criminal offense of manufacturing an explosive. It does. The simple possession of the unmixed components of a binary explosive is not prohibited because, in their unmixed state, the components are not capable of detonation or combustion and, thus, would not constitute an explosive. However, once mixed, the resulting compound is capable of detonation or combustion and does constitute an explosive."

James
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#10]
More laws and opinions, yay!
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The NRA doesn't really give two shits about gun rights. I can guarantee they don't want Nolo to succeed, that would take away half of their funding/money.

FNRA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FNRA

It's possible/plausible that Pody requested the opinion to ensure that the bill proposed above would eliminate Tannerite from the "explosive weapon" category under state law.

Possible I say, not definitive.  I'm not in his district, so he probably won't respond to my questions.  Anybody living in his district should shoot him an email and ask what his intent was when requesting clarification from the state AG.  I sincerely hope it was to help us, not hinder us.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Good find.  It would appear so wouldn't it?  Not much to see, no summary available.  It would appear that the opinion request coincides with the introduction of this bill.

Anybody in Pody's district want to shoot him an email and see what's going on?

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Well that sucks for the guys that like to use this at their own ranges on their property.

OP,

I would edit the thread title to read something like " TANNERITE now ILLEGAL in Tennessee".

A lot of guys here probably need to know this and that thread title will make it more noticeable.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well that sucks for the guys that like to use this at their own ranges on their property.

OP,

I would edit the thread title to read something like " TANNERITE now ILLEGAL in Tennessee".

A lot of guys here probably need to know this and that thread title will make it more noticeable.

View Quote

I think it's always been illegal based on the AG's opinion.  Does appear that state legislature is trying to rectify this.

Not a lawyer.  Did not sleep at holiday inn last night.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Soooooo what's the word on this? Is tannerite really illegal now?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just like the SIG brace against the shoulder -- not unless it's enforced.

- OS
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

But it technically is illegal now? It's not a misunderstanding of the law of some sort?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But it technically is illegal now? It's not a misunderstanding of the law of some sort?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Based on the AG's interpretation, it was never legal.

A bill has already been introduced that will remedy this.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd like to point out a few things:

6) Do I need a license to blast on my own property?
Tennessee Annotated Code 68-105-120 states as an exception, that explosives may be used without registration for occasional agricultural blasting. “Agricultural blasting” means stump removal, beaver dam or lodge eradication and other similar types of personal agricultural use”.
View Quote

The opinion also says there is no permit available for making targets, period. I am betting there is some legal mechanism that addresses this,  because there's  no exception for possession of an airbag with this line of thought, either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#22]
So....

I looked at the link. Where is it now?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So....

View Quote

No news of any legislation to exempt it. Also no news of anyone charged for using it.

- OS
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:58:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No news of any legislation to exempt it. Also no news of anyone charged for using it.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So....

- OS

We're just waiting on the Governor.
http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=HB0934
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So....

- OS

We've shot quite a bit with some local le friends.  They've never said anything about it.  I honestly don't think folks know it's illegal to use in TN...I know I didn't.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So....

- OS

Has has 10 days to sign it or veto it. Inaction results in it becoming law.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So....

- OS

Yeah I think he's just going to let this one slide. We'll know tomorrow though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So....

- OS

Excellent, thanks. Knew a bill had been submitted, never heard anymore about it, figgered it didn't make it through some committee, slid on through under my radar. Mea culpa for bad info.

- OS
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Seems to me a month or two ago there was a large explosion in Gibson county involving Tannerite and a refrigerator.
This could be in response to that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#30]
And we didn't vote to give the governor the power to replace that asshole.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So....

- OS

Thanks. The view I was following didn't show the governor tidbit, looked liked it was gonna die in session.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We've shot quite a bit with some local le friends.  They've never said anything about it.  I honestly don't think folks know it's illegal to use in TN...I know I didn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So....

- OS

Yeah, that's an issue. It's not illegal by law or statute. It's illegal in the opinion of the head lawyer. That means if law enforcement wanted to change over it, the prosecutor would be willing to run with it. It had to do with the lie in the heads of state attorneys; they not only think they are law enforcement, by picking and choosing what they will prosecute, they also act as grand jury and judge, too.

I'm glad I never ran into that as a police officer. I don't know how I would have dealt with it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#33]
My count says Monday. Am I off?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's an issue. It's not illegal by law or statute. It's illegal in the opinion of the head lawyer. That means if law enforcement wanted to change over it, the prosecutor would be willing to run with it. It had to do with the lie in the heads of state attorneys; they not only think they are law enforcement, by picking and choosing what they will prosecute, they also act as grand jury and judge, too.

I'm glad I never ran into that as a police officer. I don't know how I would have dealt with it.
View Quote

this is why you should never ask police officers for legal advice.

please read the law and explain to us how you think it's still legal.   looks pretty illegal to me.  (stupid and poorly written, but it's unambiguous)
the "head lawyer" usually is law enforcement.  in TN he is the chief law enforcement officer and is sworn in, has a badge.  ask him to show it to you.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#35]
FYI - Haslam signed it today.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So....

- OS

Once mixed, looked quite clearly illegal under the existing statute to me, so admit I agreed with the AG. I don't see how if charged you wouldn't have been found in violation.

- OS
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

what's the deal with this AG?    Isn't he he same left winger that's been in office for years?   Why can't the R legislators get rid of him?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

what's the deal with this AG?    Isn't he he same left winger that's been in office for years?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what's the deal with this AG?    Isn't he he same left winger that's been in office for years?  

No, he's not. Herbert Slatery became AG 1/10/14. Appointed by TN Supreme Court for 8 years, as was Robert Cooper before him.

Slatery is an old bud of Bill's since childhood, btw.

- OS
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#39]
When does the amendment go into effect?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:26:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
When does the amendment go into effect?
View Quote

It was effective upon signing, the public welfare requiring it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

please read the law and explain to us how you think it's still legal.   looks pretty illegal to me.  (stupid and poorly written, but it's unambiguous)
the "head lawyer" usually is law enforcement.  in TN he is the chief law enforcement officer and is sworn in, has a badge.  ask him to show it to you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rude and unnecessarily inflammatory, but I'll respond.

Fireworks also meet the criteria for an explosive as defined, but weren't addressed in that section of law.
Certain airbag modules also meet the criteria, but also aren't addressed.

This was gone over back in the day. The definition of a binary explosive had the term blasting in it. Tannerite never was intended for that use, and wasn't supposed to be activated by a blasting cap. Those are keys. Or, they were, and that's why no one has been prosecuted for having mixed a binary explosive target under state law. Under previous thought, the product was more a firework or signaling device (also not directly addressed in state explosive laws at the time I was familiar).

Far as the da thing, no, they're not. They weren't in the state definition of police officer. They don't go to the police academy, and they are not certified by post as police officers. Look at it this way, do you see them actively directing the sheriff or chief of police? No. District attorneys suffer from mission creep, like what's happened with ema. The function of the district attorney is to ASSIST law enforcement in the prosecution of their cases. The defense has an attorney, so does the officer that makes the case.

Now, there are full service da offices that run their own investigations, and because as pogues they are responsible for docketing, they can exert influence by refusing to docket or prosecute a case. They are not part of the criminal justice process by necessity. Officers go in front of commissioners and judges, present evidence to the grand jury and prosecute their own cases every day, especially in smaller jurisdictions.

Tldr- mission creep, and for tannerite, technicality.

Or, whatever
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#42]
To give you some extra grist for your mills...

http://www.tn.gov/fire/fpplsect.shtml

6) Do I need a license to blast on my own property?
Tennessee Annotated Code 68-105-120 states as an exception, that explosives may be used without registration for occasional agricultural blasting. “Agricultural blasting” means stump removal, beaver dam or lodge eradication and other similar types of personal agricultural use”.
View Quote

Again, he's cherry picking. He is using the definition on one section and the violation in another. He even says he didn't think the blasting standards applied here.

Moot point anyway. Now, about all of you with nitro pills...
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Nothing new here  with the Gov. of TN. surrounding himself with a lot of anti-gun people and some shady people on his staff don't be surprised if he follows what Washington dictates about guns, all the BS about the 2nd Adm. and the Rights of  the people of Tennessee. The ATF said the exploding targets were ok and I thought that states cannot make laws that voids  Federal Laws, that Federal Laws always prevail in all cases. Maybe the AG of TN. is just trying to see what he  can get away with. Maybe he is on a power trip.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nothing new here  with the Gov. of TN. surrounding himself with a lot of anti-gun people and some shady people on his staff don't be surprised if he follows what Washington dictates about guns, all the BS about the 2nd Adm. and the Rights of  the people of Tennessee. The ATF said the exploding targets were ok and I thought that states cannot make laws that voids  Federal Laws, that Federal Laws always prevail in all cases. Maybe the AG of TN. is just trying to see what he  can get away with. Maybe he is on a power trip.
View Quote

Option C: Maybe we made his opinion irrelevant.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
.... The ATF said the exploding targets were ok and I thought that states cannot make laws that voids  Federal Laws, that Federal Laws always prevail in all cases. ...
View Quote

If you haven't noticed, there are thousands of state laws around the country that are more stringent than federal laws, which is perfectly constitutional in most areas of jurisprudence. Just because there is no specific law against something federally doesn't mean that the states can't enact one. Nowhere is this more pronounced than in the realm of firearms/explosives.

- OS
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you haven't noticed, there are thousands of state laws around the country that are more stringent than federal laws, which is perfectly constitutional in most areas of jurisprudence. Just because there is no specific law against something federally doesn't mean that the states can't enact one. Nowhere is this more pronounced than in the realm of firearms/explosives.

- OS
View Quote

You are correct, like our current 39-17-1307, which makes it is crime for a non criminal, non adjudicated mentally deficient Citizen to carry a loaded firearm off their personal property.  Oh sure, they will sell you a "Permit" to enjoy a guaranteed Right (Article 1 § 26), because we LET them (legislature) pull this noise, but it is still a crime.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You are correct, like our current 39-17-1307, which makes it is crime for a non criminal, non adjudicated mentally deficient Citizen to carry a loaded firearm off their personal property.  Oh sure, they will sell you (a "Permit" to enjoy a guaranteed Right (Article 1 § 26), because we LET them (legislature) pull this noise, but it is still a crime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

You are correct, like our current 39-17-1307, which makes it is crime for a non criminal, non adjudicated mentally deficient Citizen to carry a loaded firearm off their personal property.  Oh sure, they will sell you (a "Permit" to enjoy a guaranteed Right (Article 1 § 26), because we LET them (legislature) pull this noise, but it is still a crime.

ETA Nevermid I missed the carry OFF property.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#48]
See if you can find the one fucky part  

http://www.tn.gov/sos/acts/109/pub/pc0397.pdf

PUBLIC CHAPTER NO. 397
SENATE BILL NO. 874
By Niceley
Substituted for: House Bill No. 934
By Matheny

AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 14, Part 7; Title 39, Chapter 17,
Part 13; Title 68, Chapter 102, Part 1 and Title 68, Chapter 105, relative to explosives.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1302, is amended by adding the following as a new, appropriately designated subsection:

( ) Subsection (a) shall not apply to the possession, manufacture, transportation,repair, or sale of an explosive if:
(1) The person in question is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and
(2) The possession, manufacture, transport, repair, or sale was incident to creating or using an exploding target for lawful sporting activity, as solely intended by the commercial manufacturer.

SECTION 2. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-14-702, is amended by adding the following as a new, appropriately designated subsection:

( ) This section shall not apply to a component part of an explosive solely intended to be used in creating an exploding target for use in lawful sporting activity, when the part is possessed by a person eighteen (18) years of age or older.

SECTION 3. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 68-105-120, is amended by adding the following as a new, appropriately designated subdivision:

( ) The use of explosive materials solely intended by the commercial manufacturer to be used to create an exploding target for use in lawful sporting activity or the use of an exploding target for its intended purpose in lawful sporting activity; provided, that the person
using the explosive materials is eighteen (18) years of age or older;

SECTION 4. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top