Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2015 3:47:05 PM EDT
Richards Armory

3135 Kirby Whitten Rd., Suite 102

Bartlett,TN 38134

901-343-0402

[email protected]

Owner - Richard Farrell

He says that he is going to be a full-service gun store, focusing on long range platforms, tactical gear, and Class III applications.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw his business card at MSSA too.  Be interested to check out his place.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
He mentioned doing transfers too at a reasonable price
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I will have to stop in and check it out. It's right down the street from me. Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Stopped by Richard's Armory this afternoon. Due to the bad weather, he was not really "open" for business yet, but was letting people in. He had a few customers in and out, but he is waiting on alot of inventory to show up. He has a nice smaller shop, with a few displays of NFA stuff and military items. Richard seems very nice. He is the former general manager of an "un named" gun store on Summer Ave. Got away from it and started his own business, and is a sole proprietor. Small supply of AR and rifle parts (bolts carriers, BCG's, uppers), several Glocks, several LMT .308's and a few standard AR's. Prices on Ammo is decent, but is mostly Tennessee Cartridge stuff and some Federal 7.62. Some Fiocchi and other brands in 9mm, 40, 45, etc. He will be stocking up and is waiting on inventory to come in. Transfers are $35 plus TICS for non NFA ($25 for LEO). He seemed very nervous about the new store and how it will work out. Just met the guy today, but he seems like a real nice guy with a good idea, with a decent store front. I will start with him on transfers and stuff since he is so close to me in Bartett. Ya'll stop by and show support once he opens up for good...
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#6]
If he has one or two AR parts and a P-mag in stock he already has more inventory than Range USA!

They have a great range facility, but I can't tell you how many times I have gone in that place with money burning a hole in my pocket and couldn't find a thing to spend it on.

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If he has one or two AR parts and a P-mag in stock he already has more inventory than Range USA!

They have a great range facility, but I can't tell you how many times I have gone in that place with money burning a hole in my pocket and couldn't find a thing to spend it on.

View Quote

I've always made it a point to check out their consignment case on a regular basis, but it has been dwindling down to nothing lately.  I guess Armslist, etc., have about killed the consignment model.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Yah, he had a bunch of bolts, a few bolt carriers, a few Leitner uppers, some complete (LMT I think) lowers and alot of Pmags (AR & AK). Didn't reallly pay attention to the prices, but I think they were retail or a little higher on the parts. I think the LMT 308's were listed over $3200 and a Bushy XM15 was $1199, Glock 19, 23, etc were in the $500 range... I think he is intending on doing mostly custom work & orders with a little side inventory to please the tire kickers...
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Someone told me that he was going to be charging tax on your purchase price for transferred items.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I have not heard that, but I didn't think to ask him since most don't. I have been charged tax on the transfer fee before ($35 plus tax + $10 TICS) but I have never been charged tax by an FFL for an item they did not sell me. I hope this isn't true, it would mean that he would get ZERO business for transfers...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Someone told me that he was going to be charging tax on your purchase price for transferred items.
View Quote

That would be a quick way to get zero transfers and little business passing through.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:59:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That would be a quick way to get zero transfers and little business passing through.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it legal? Is there even a process within tax law for it? Not saying this shop is doing anything wrong. What if a shop said they were charging the tax on the purchase, but pocketed the money. This doesn't make sense to me. That money didn't change hands at his shop.

I wouldn't do business with a shop that does it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I can't speak for TN but there are other states that do this.  WA did it when I was stationed there.  I know this has come up before though. My go to guy,Medic Firearms, charges tax on his FFL fee...but it's included in his flat fee of $20.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is it legal? Is there even a process within tax law for it? Not saying this shop is doing anything wrong. What if a shop said they were charging the tax on the purchase, but pocketed the money. This doesn't make sense to me. That money didn't change hands at his shop.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea.  And its just third party hearsay.  But if its true, it would be terrible.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I also use Matt at Medic. Great guy, No complaints at all and never been charged tax on weapons / parts that he received for me. Like you said, tax is already included in his FFL fee. But, I haven't had anything shipped from inside of TN to test the tax thing, but so far my online purchases from numerous other states have never incurred a sales tax. I have had to pay sales tax on items originating in TN and shipped, but that was collected by the seller, not an FFL. I would also like to know if that is even legal if the items came from outside of TN...

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Before we go any further on this, perhaps someone could inquire about it...?

We don't want any false negative rumors spread about someone just starting out.

If confirmed, then people can make their feelings known, and make an informed decision...

MO, YMMV.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I also use Matt at Medic. Great guy, No complaints at all and never been charged tax on weapons / parts that he received for me. Like you said, tax is already included in his FFL fee. But, I haven't had anything shipped from inside of TN to test the tax thing, but so far my online purchases from numerous other states have never incurred a sales tax. I have had to pay sales tax on items originating in TN and shipped, but that was collected by the seller, not an FFL. I would also like to know if that is even legal if the items came from outside of TN...

View Quote

Bartlett is a lot closer to me than Piperton.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that even legal?  He is not the seller.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No idea.  And its just third party hearsay.  But if its true, it would be terrible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn good way to kill your business right out of the gate.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Matt with Medic Firearms here.  To answer the question regarding tax on transfers...I charged (and included) sales tax in my transfer fee for quite a while until I received my response from the Dept of Revenue.  In their response, they said that the FFL transfer process does not require tax to be collected.  I immediately stopped charging tax on transfers after receiving their determination.  Ha, I never kept the sales tax though.  It was all reported and paid to the state.  The wording of the law was not specific to the type of business being done, so until the determination letter was received, my accountant recommended to collect the sales tax.  He is probably taking the same approach, although I can't speak for him.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Matt with Medic Firearms here.  To answer the question regarding tax on transfers...I charged (and included) sales tax in my transfer fee for quite a while until I received my response from the Dept of Revenue.  In their response, they said that the FFL transfer process does not require tax to be collected.  I immediately stopped charging tax on transfers after receiving their determination.  Ha, I never kept the sales tax though.  It was all reported and paid to the state.  The wording of the law was not specific to the type of business being done, so until the determination letter was received, my accountant recommended to collect the sales tax.  He is probably taking the same approach, although I can't speak for him.
View Quote

So, did the Dept of Revenue cut you a check or at least give you a credit for what you had paid in?

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So, did the Dept of Revenue cut you a check or at least give you a credit for what you had paid in?
View Quote

Funny guy!  Not only did they not refund it, one of my payments was a day late so they sent me a bill for the late fee and interest!  

As far as collecting sales tax on the actual item itself, TN doesn't do that unless it was purchased from a TN dealer.  The TN dealer you purchase from would be responsible for collecting the sales tax, not the transferring dealer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Finally had a chance to drop by.  I was told 35 + 10.  No mention of tax but he did say that he will not do transfers from Bud's and someone else.  Can't remember the other one though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I finally got to go check out Richard's Armory today.

He has some very nice toys and decent ammo prices and was nice enough to give me the nickel tour.

I also got to handle the hottest commodity in the firearms world right now.........NO.....not .22 long rifle ammo ya bunch of neckbeards!

The new Glock 43!!

He has them at a great price,  and I was very impressed (and I am NOT a Glock lover).

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So not to derail a thread that got its first reply in over a month, but how was the G43? Bigger than the PF9, yes?
View Quote

I have never handled the PF9 so I can't say.

It is slightly larger and thicker than my Sig P290RS, but feels ALOT better and points very naturally.

As a die hard Sig fan and dedicated Glock hater it pains me greatly to admit that.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Snerd, welcome to the dark side.  My the Glock be with you!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That was very big of you.

Now go buy one.

View Quote

Please lead me not into temptation.......I can find it just fine all by myself!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top