Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2015 7:10:21 PM EDT
I just heard that they are having a court ordered auction at the end of the month.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I know that Joe ended his association with it a while ago. Pretty sure it had to do with a difference of opinion and wasn't ongood terms. Once Joe was gone, I imagine a lot of people also severed ties. I know I never went back after I learned it was happening. Joe made the experience.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#3]
story?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This, for sure.

They are nowhere near me, obviously, but I had no impetus to even make a side trip after he left.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know I never went back after I learned it was happening. Joe made the experience.

This, for sure.

They are nowhere near me, obviously, but I had no impetus to even make a side trip after he left.

That was such a blast when a bunch of us met up there. Too bad it didn't work out.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That was such a blast when a bunch of us met up there. Too bad it didn't work out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know I never went back after I learned it was happening. Joe made the experience.

This, for sure.

Agreed. I had a great time, except when someone tried to come in my shitty hotel room while I was naked and unarmed.

I'm surprised you still have this hosted.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Agreed. I had a great time, except when someone tried to come in my shitty hotel room while I was naked and unarmed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This, for sure.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
God I miss Joe.

For those of you that live nearby I have a question. I live down the road in Shelbyville and over a year ago there was an empty business that a lot of Hero Gear's displays suddenly showed up in. I watched it forever to see if they tried to move locations, but nothing ever happened. Anyone know what's up with that?

buk
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I know that Joe ended his association with it a while ago. Pretty sure it had to do with a difference of opinion and wasn't ongood terms. Once Joe was gone, I imagine a lot of people also severed ties. I know I never went back after I learned it was happening. Joe made the experience.
View Quote

High prices made it MY experience..................  
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:47:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, they went the Outpost Armory business model huh?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh, they went the Outpost Armory business model huh?
View Quote

Probably, except Outpost will at least dicker on pricing. The one time I was at Hero, I was told "price is as marked". I never went back.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/resq2106/arfcom/369Stank.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, for sure.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/resq2106/arfcom/369Stank.jpg

He's an old man, so be nice. You don't want to give him a heart attack.
And you know he has a thing for red heads
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How the hell are you doing, sir?
View Quote

Staying alive, how's Hansie doing?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#15]
My nephew went to the auvtion today and saw green tip ghetto oing for $200 per thousand.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
God I miss Joe.

For those of you that live nearby I have a question. I live down the road in Shelbyville and over a year ago there was an empty business that a lot of Hero Gear's displays suddenly showed up in. I watched it forever to see if they tried to move locations, but nothing ever happened. Anyone know what's up with that?

buk
View Quote

Hey guys,
I will give you the 4+ years in 2 minutes rundown;

As the founder and majority owner of Hero-Gear, I sold to the minority owner and co-founder back in 2010.
I signed a non-compete, and moved on to other things.

The store struggled for awhile and then sold a second time.
The new owner was based out of Shelbyville, and owns some commercial property there.  *This is why you saw some Hero-Gear displays/products, as they were talking about opening another location in Shelbyville.

As I understand it, there were some serious (mis)management issues, as well as some ATF licensing issues.
All of this led to final demise of Hero-Gear.

Displays, equipment, product was sold to other stores in middle TN and they did in fact hold a bank ordered auction last week for the last of the inventory.

Updates:
-The most recent owner is (as I understand) out of the country
-The prior owner is focusing on his true passion (Flight testing, Jets, Rotary wing aircraft)
-My non-compete has expired (not that it would matter with HG out of business now) and I am in the process of opening a new boutique style gunshop in Monteagle, TN (off Exit 135)
-Mike (my former general manager) is working in the law enforcement field
-Jeff Meister, my former 1911 smith is now running the show at Republic Forge in Texas and is putting out some beautiful 1911s.  (I ordered 3 of them for display at SHOT)

Hero-Gear was a wild ride, and while I hate to see it dissolved, most people will agree that (good or bad) it wasn't the same after 2010.
I appreciate the kind words from former friends and customers, and look forward to earning your business again in the future.

And Bob Cole?  If you want still be pissed about the cost of a revolver I quoted you 5 years ago, have fun with that.  Life is short brother, and I can't win them all.

Joe
Battle-Gear
07 FFL / 02 SOT
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:07:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:22:39 AM EDT
[#18]
so when are you inviting us over to shoot your newest endeavour?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 7:37:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And Bob Cole?  If you want still be pissed about the cost of a revolver I quoted you 5 years ago, have fun with that.  
View Quote

Did I ever say YOU quoted me a GD thing? Nope.

I look forward to the day when I can see you face-to-face.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Bob Cole?  If you want still be pissed about the cost of a revolver I quoted you 5 years ago, have fun with that.  

Nope, you didn't say I quoted you a GD thing.  But I do recall you requesting a quote about 5 years ago, and a long drawn out exchange via email about how much cheaper Larry's was, and how I would never get your business.
You have been bitter and negative towards Hero-Gear ever since.

Bob, I am looking forward to meeting you in person.  (BTW; It would be easy for one to take your comments in red as confrontational or threatening...I will assume that is NOT your intention, and you simply want to see me face to face so you can marvel at my stunning good looks...:-)
I welcome an opportunity to earn your business.
If not, perhaps we can have a beer at the shop.  (We are planning on having ice cold beer and red hot deals...lol)
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Glad to hear about the new shop Joe, you will still be close to my area, and I'll have a new destination for my trusty R1100RT
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Glad to hear about the new shop Joe, you will still be close to my area, and I'll have a new destination for my trusty R1100RT
View Quote

We will be proud to have you.
I need a new Beemer.  I miss my R1100S
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wouldn't count on ol' BobCole to meet up at the shop for beers, I'm not sure that he likes fun things.
View Quote

Picking on me at the Goodman shows and riding that almost-BMW motorcycle are about it...

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Bob I see your still huggable and friendly as ever, LOL
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:13:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Bob I see your still huggable and friendly as ever, LOL
View Quote

I am with my friends...............  
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Bob has always been friendly .

Joe do you still have the Hero Gear marked suppressor ETS made for you ?

Glad to hear your doing well and I'd like to make it to your shop some day .
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Zach, when I sold in 2010, all NFA items (to include all the post sample MGs I had purchased) remained with Hero-Gear, as they were on a corporate FFL/SOT.

I've  had to rebuilt my NFA collection from scratch...as you can imagine, its been an expensive and painful process.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Zach, when I sold in 2010, all NFA items (to include all the post sample MGs I had purchased) remained with Hero-Gear, as they were on a corporate FFL/SOT.

I've  had to rebuilt my NFA collection from scratch...as you can imagine, its been an expensive and painful process.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks .
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey Joe!
Looooong time!

Still using my Battle Mug.

I enjoyed shooting your FAL shorty FA. That was a blast.
Sorry that had to stay with the store...

Ya need to get that gun show/vendor event back together.

That had a lot of promise......

You going to get involved with the Friends events, again?
Maybe I'll see ya this year...
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry, Dupe Gremlin got me...
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#33]
<--- Big fan of the pre-2010 HG.

Glad to know a new shop is going to be in Monteagle. I frequently drive from Nashville to Chattanooga and back, so it will be good to have a "rest-stop."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top