Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2014 11:24:45 AM EDT
No, no, don't worry, this isn't a "im fleeing commie land let me come move to your state!" thread.

I currently live North of ATL and I'm finishing up a BBA in Accounting. I graduate next may (internship this fall). I'm beginning to research masters programs for accounting and have stumbled onto MTSU. My current university offers masters for accounting but I'm ready to get out of GA/ATL (life long georgian - not a commie). I don't see myself in Atlanta long term and have always loved what Tennessee offers (family in Chattanooga).

Basically I'm looking into murfreesboro because I would get my masters (1 year) and start working in Nashville/get my CPA, etc.

TN has the weather I love, great gun laws, no state income tax, plenty of land (my lifelong goal) for purchase, and Nashville is in a centralized part of the state with relatively easy access to all major corners.

With that said, does anyone here have experience with MTSU, Nashville, Murfreesboro, etc? I'm looking for anything and everything you have to share.. the good and the bad. I plan on taking trips in December to the three schools I plan on applying to limit my decision to one to move to next summer.

Thanks all.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I went to MTSU from 1992-1994, lived in the dorms the first year, and rented in the 'boro until 1999.   (So some of my info is out of date)   Now live in Nashville, but still make it to the 'boro for some stuff several times a year.   Typical college town.   Almost everything you could ever need will either be in the 'boro, Smyrna or Nashville...   Except for a good long range rifle range.

Things to look out for.... Apartments near campus... unless you like your neighbors to have late night parties.

What more specific do you want to know?
RB
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went to MTSU from 1992-1994, lived in the dorms the first year, and rented in the 'boro until 1999.   (So some of my info is out of date)   Now live in Nashville, but still make it to the 'boro for some stuff several times a year.   Typical college town.   Almost everything you could ever need will either be in the 'boro, Smyrna or Nashville...   Except for a good long range rifle range.

Things to look out for.... Apartments near campus... unless you like your neighbors to have late night parties.

What more specific do you want to know?
RB
View Quote

im fine living a little in between MTSU and Nashville because after the year of the masters i would be most likely downtown Nashville. So are there any areas in between that are good/safe?

how bad of a commute am i looking at from nashville to the outskirts of MTSU?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Smyrna is a pretty safe area. I lived there until the the end of last year. It's closer to M'boro than Nashville. Commute shouldn't be to bad. Depending on time of day that is.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Murfreesboro
Smyrna
LaVergne
Nashville

From South to North.

Smyrna and LaVergne sometimes feel like one town... hard to tell whre one starts and the other ends.
Both are good... just don't look for houses in Antioch.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#5]
From the western edge of Nashville, to Murfreesboro, is close to a one hour commute, with light traffic.  The main travel route between Nashville and Murfreesboro is I-24.  Heading toward Nashville on I-24 in the morning rush hour, or away from Nashville in the afternoon rush hour, you might start thinking you are back in Atlanta traffic.  

Lots of people have chosen the work in Nashville, live in Smyrna or Murfreesboro plan, and the traffic shows it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:28:42 AM EDT
[#6]
The Boro is a nice place. I went to MTSU years ago. It is a good school, but I never took accounting there.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From the western edge of Nashville, to Murfreesboro, is close to a one hour commute, with light traffic.  The main travel route between Nashville and Murfreesboro is I-24.  Heading toward Nashville on I-24 in the morning rush hour, or away from Nashville in the afternoon rush hour, you might start thinking you are back in Atlanta traffic.  

Lots of people have chosen the work in Nashville, live in Smyrna or Murfreesboro plan, and the traffic shows it.
View Quote

Yeah Atlanta traffic blows. Its not a huge deal though, as I'm used to it. I've pretty much accepted that with where I'm taking my degree my options are to live in an apartment in city (no) or live in a house with some privacy  and have a shitty commute (yes).
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I lived in Murfreesboro for 12 years and I'm still down there all the time to work, shop, or visit family and friends. I've also lived in Smyrna and Nashville. My wife and I both went to MTSU. Here's my take:

MTSU:
- Good school, most programs have a staff that ranges from competent to very competent
- Relatively nice campus, several of the main buildings are new(ish), built in the last 15 years or so. For example, the library, rec center, business bldg, nursing bldg, mass comm, honors, etc
- Parking can be a problem. I haven't been on campus at all for a few years, may have gotten better but I doubt it.

Murfreesboro:
- Has a lot of shopping and restaurant options.
- Relatively safe
- Close to plenty of state parks & outdoor rec destinations
- Close to some good outdoor ranges
- Close drive to Nashville, < 2hr drive to Chattanooga.
- Places to rent have gotten pricey the last 5 years or so.

Personally I wouldn't move to Antioch. Lavergne is ok, although parts of it are subject to a lot of property crime. Smyrna has some good options.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Boro is G2G.

Apartments and a lot of homes around campus are college places. In some instances entire streets are college streets. Before you buy a home, make sure the neighborhood doesn't move their living room furniture to the front yard for block party weekends.

I lived there for about 5 years, never seen so much free sex and booze in my life.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I got my B.S. in Computer Science from MTSU. I thought it was a great school when I was there. However the school, and the town, has grown so much since I graduated that I hardly recognize it these days, so I don't feel qualified to give you any advice on the school in its current form. Parking was always an issue when I was there, and there are way more students these days, but I think they finally built a parking garage so maybe that isn't such an issue anymore.

After I graduated I moved to LaVergne to be closer to my job in Nashville while still being close to all my friends in Murfreesboro. LaVergne was a nice location, real close to Nashville but with Rutherford county property taxes. Of course that was before Antioch became a complete ghetto, back when Hickory Hollow mall was actually a nice place to go shopping, not like now where you needed to wear a bullet-proof vest to feel safe.

Expect traffic on I-24 between Murfreesboro and Nashville to be horrendous. I'm so glad I don't have to make that commute anymore. I've seen more car wrecks on that stretch of road than all the other wrecks I've seen in my entire life.

I wish I had more advice to give you but my knowledge of the school and area is very out of date.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I went there from '79-'84.  At that time we referred to Smyrna as "the town that time forgot"  there was one redlight and the major economic activity was issuing traffic tickets.  

Don't suppose this actually helps the OP  sorry.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Got my Accounting degree from MTSU '90-'94.

I'm a CPA at a firm in Brentwood and I commute from Lebanon.

If you need anything, send me a message and I'll help anyway I can.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I went there from '79-'84.  At that time we referred to Smyrna as "the town that time forgot"  there was one redlight and the major economic activity was issuing traffic tickets.  

Don't suppose this actually helps the OP  sorry.
View Quote

Not even a little bit... haven't seen Smyrna recently, have you?  

Murfreesboro -- Smyrna -- Lavergne -- Nashville has all but grown together in the last 15 years.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I work in Smyrna. Its ok, I live where I can actually shoot in my yard though(NOT Smyrna) Your best bet would be close to Mboro or Smyrna but in the unincorporated jurisdiction of Rutherford County.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#15]
thanks for all of the input. im headed up the 23rd to visit. I've had some great help and gotten some recommendations of places to eat while im there.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I got my BBA in Management there in the last several years. Enjoyed my time there and the few accounting classes I had there. If you take any management classes while getting your masters degree, get Dr. Marc Singer if he's still around. Sharp guy and a lot of fun. He was one of my favorites while I was there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:41:49 AM EDT
[#17]
If you don't mind being a little further from Nashville you might consider Shelbyville for while you go to school.  Murphreesboro and Tullahoma are both about 20 minutes away.  Close to the best range in middle TN, goes out to 1k yards and is a private members only range.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you don't mind being a little further from Nashville you might consider Shelbyville for while you go to school.  Murphreesboro and Tullahoma are both about 20 minutes away.  Close to the best range in middle TN, goes out to 1k yards and is a private members only range.
View Quote

Little too far out for now.  I will need to be near the city for work while I get the degree and post graduation.

Going to check out Mt. Juliet, Smrnya, Murfreesboro, and Nashville.  Staying in Smryna for the night.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the input everyone.  I just got back a little while ago.  I really enjoyed the area and seeing the school.  I also went downtown for a few drinks and enjoyed seeing downtown.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#20]
It's gotten REALLY BIG.

...from smyrna...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top