Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 10:10:46 AM EDT
I am starting to look for somewhere to move to. I want somewhere near lakes and mountains and not too close to major cities but not too far either. Tellico Plains seems to be a good location looking at maps, but I have only driven through the area on 75 so I really know nothing at all about it. My dad is over in Pulaski, but I prefer east TN. I am also looking into South Carolina high country as well.

What should I know about the Tellico Plains area?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
That's where all the rich people live.  (no idea of your income level, but if you like being around rich people with huge houses on the lake, you'll really like the place)  It's also on the Tennessee, so the river can get pretty nasty.  I mean lots of debris floating around.  From logs you can barely see to back ends of boats.

Check out areas around Norris Lake.  I was up there last weekend and couldn't believe how pristine and clean the water was.  Emerald green like an ocean and I could see down about 10ft.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's where all the rich people live.  (no idea of your income level, but if you like being around rich people with huge houses on the lake, you'll really like the place)  It's also on the Tennessee, so the river can get pretty nasty.  I mean lots of debris floating around.  From logs you can barely see to back ends of boats.

Check out areas around Norris Lake.  I was up there last weekend and couldn't believe how pristine and clean the water was.  Emerald green like an ocean and I could see down about 10ft.
View Quote

You're confusing Tellico Lake with Tellico Plains.

You are referencing Lake and he is asking about Plains. Tellico Plains is deeper in Monroe county off of Hwy 68 just outside of the South Cherokee National Forest. Two very different places.

ETA: Tellico Plains is east of Etowah and south of Madisonville.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll be close to the Cherokee National Forest, Hiwassee River, not too far from the Ocoee River.  There is not much infrastructure in Tellico Plains so you'll have to drive a few minutes to a Walmart (Madisonville or Athens).  Monroe and McMinn Counties have some pretty severe drug problems mixed with some poverty so there is a theft problem as well (just some things to think about.  There is a small but inexpensive gun club (Chilhowee Rod and Gun Club)  in McMinn Co. between Etowah and Athens.  Past times in Tellico Plains are fly fishing and 4 wheeling.  It's a beautiful area.  I recommend visiting. maybe a camping trip.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You'll be close to the Cherokee National Forest, Hiwassee River, not too far from the Ocoee River.  There is not much infrastructure in Tellico Plains so you'll have to drive a few minutes to a Walmart (Madisonville or Athens).  Monroe and McMinn Counties have some pretty severe drug problems mixed with some poverty so there is a theft problem as well (just some things to think about.  There is a small but inexpensive gun club (Chilhowee Rod and Gun Club)  in McMinn Co. between Etowah and Athens.  Past times in Tellico Plains are fly fishing and 4 wheeling.  It's a beautiful area.  I recommend visiting. maybe a camping trip.
View Quote

Pretty much nails it, IMO. Allow me to also suggest you look @ Polk Co. Specifically the Benton/Delano area around Hwy 411.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:48:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:48:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pretty much nails it, IMO. Allow me to also suggest you look @ Polk Co. Specifically the Benton/Delano area around Hwy 411.
View Quote

I will check it out. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, could not figure out what you were on about at first. When I drove through and even on their website it looks fairly rural and depressed. When rebel_rifle mentioned Telico Lake I laughed. IIRC they had one of those HGTV Dream Homes on Telico Lake. No way I would fit in there... not even close. Hehe.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Lol, could not figure out what you were on about at first. When I drove through and even on their website it looks fairly rural and depressed. When rebel_rifle mentioned Telico Lake I laughed. IIRC they had one of those HGTV Dream Homes on Telico Lake. No way I would fit in there... not even close. Hehe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha yeah brain fart on my part.  I honestly thought they were one and the same.  Wups!
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#9]
One of your requirements was not too far from the city. Tellico Plains is very much far from any semblance of a city. You will be about 1.5hrs from Knoxville or Chattanooga.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One of your requirements was not too far from the city. Tellico Plains is very much far from any semblance of a city. You will be about 1.5hrs from Knoxville or Chattanooga.
View Quote

Depending on what "not too far from the city" means, Cleveland is a bit closer and should have pretty much what one might need. Athens, though a bit smaller, is closer as well.

But glklvr is right, TP is pretty much in the sticks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Depending on what "not too far from the city" means, Cleveland is a bit closer and should have pretty much what one might need. Athens, though a bit smaller, is closer as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the plus side, he would be 20 minutes from Benton's Country Hams.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 minutes? Not riding with you!lol

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly straight from Tellico to Madisonville, and straight from Madisonville north. Easy peasy!
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Mostly straight from Tellico to Madisonville, and straight from Madisonville north. Easy peasy!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get the straight part, but 20 minutes.........Damn!
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#15]
This you glklvr?lol

http://youtu.be/ObBF_V-peDQ
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This you glklvr?lol

http://youtu.be/ObBF_V-peDQ
View Quote

Lol!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top