Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 5:15:49 PM EDT
http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postpolitics/2014/4/14/why_sponsor_wants_the_open_carry_bill_on_the_house_floor

This could be decided as early as tomorrow.

The powers that be were hoping the bill would die due to funding issues. Through a clever change in the bills funding by its sponsor, that problem may be solved.

Governor Haslam would be inclined to veto the bill, as it would help him appear centrist for his greater political aspirations.

People need to be contacting their State Representatives RIGHT NOW to push this thing over the hump. Also, Governor Haslam needs his phones ringing off the hook by voters who will vote AGAINST him in the next election if he vetos the bill.

Spread the word. Call similarly minded friends and family. Repost on Facebook. Give this thing a big grassroots push.

Governor Bill Haslam can be contacted at (615) 741-2001 .

Contact your State Representatives via this link:

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/legislators/

If you don't get someone, leave a message if possible and CALL BACK later until you get an actual person to relay your thoughts.

Remember, try to be polite.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't mean to point out the obvious but I will.

Please don't call your Senators on this matter.  They
will think you are a dumbsh** because they have
already passed this.

Instead call your Representative.

ETA:

** in lieu of it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't mean to point out the obvious but I will.

Please don't call your Senators on this matter.  They
will think you are a dumbshit because they have
already passed this.

Instead call your Representative.
View Quote

Fixed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:48:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Talked to my Senator FTF about it (He voted YES already).  His comment was calls to your Reps is a MUST as there is pressure being put on NOT to pass it.

Mine has been called!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Funding issues? What possible funding issues are there for open carry???
View Quote

I believe that there would no longer be a need for a concealed carry permit, therefore no fees.  I don't know that for sure but it is my take on it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#6]
From what I read, the change would be a printed alteration to HCP cards. Since a permit for OC wouldn't be necessary, the HCP might be renamed CCP or similar.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Called my rep this morning.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it dead now because of ways and means?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is it dead now because of ways and means?
View Quote

Just heard it on the news.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Great way to not even have a vote on it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

They voted on it, by a huge majority.  Then did the "aww shucks" when it didn't pass.  They all knew what they were doing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They voted on it, by a huge majority.  Then did the "aww shucks" when it didn't pass.  They all knew what they were doing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Senate passed it, House did not get to vote, as the Haslam/.Harwell Graveyard Committee killed it.

Here, Stacey explains it for you:

http://lastcar.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-gun-fight-was-over-on-first-day-of.html

- OS
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#14]

"I'm going to withdraw that, because they killed it fairly," Van Huss said. "They killed it fair and square."

I appreciate  your bill, Mr. Huss, but this stuff isn't a game.  And that wasn't fair.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"I'm going to withdraw that, because they killed it fairly," Van Huss said. "They killed it fair and square."

I appreciate  your bill, Mr. Huss, but this stuff isn't a game.  And that wasn't fair.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Somebody read him the riot act, maybe threatened to disappear his first born or something.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Somebody read him the riot act, maybe threatened to disappear his first born or something.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Yeah, all that recess time in the committee votes was to spread the word from on high I think.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#17]
It was sent to the finance committee, had nothing to do with finance, but a friend of the Governor did not want his no vote on record because he was up for re-election and besides the Governor did not want it passed. Dirty Politics. Our Governor is a RINO .and it is showing more each day with his politics
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top