BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/8/2014 11:05:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally feel that if you are legally allowed to own a firearm, you should be allowed to carry it however you see fit and not be required to obtain a permit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice. I had a feeling this would happen eventually.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
How did we miss this one?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Seriously doubt it makes it to the house floor and it will probably be vetoed. It's a damn good start though.

ETA: I'll bet Leonard Embody is gleefully rubbing his hands in anticipation lol.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seriously doubt it makes it to the house floor and it will probably be vetoed. It's a damn good start though.

ETA: I'll bet Leonard Embody is gleefully rubbing his hands in anticipation lol.
View Quote

LMAO
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Passing 25-2 in the Senate, I would think it has a pretty good chance in the House. I seem to recall Haslam favored it when he was running for office?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/VszFYC1.png

Just means he'll have to raise the bar in his efforts to create grounds for a false arrest lawsuit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just means he'll have to raise the bar in his efforts to create grounds for a false arrest lawsuit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it passes, he will have reason to believe he spearheaded the movement, and was on the right side.  I'm starting to wonder if I should agree.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If it passes, he will have reason to believe he spearheaded the movement, and was on the right side.  I'm starting to wonder if I should agree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad to see it. Hopefully it passes the house. TN is one of the strangest states WRT guns. Lots of freak outs in the Tri Cities about guns in parks, etc.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't you remember me telling you about this when we were shooting pistols a few weekends ago?

Also, it's been discussed some in here already: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_38/548618_Legislature__set_to_open___Now_includes_Firearms_Calendar.html&page=2&anc=6097320#i6097320

I predict it will get killed in the House finance committee for some retarded reason, just like the Guns in Parks bill was killed earlier this session. They will claim that it will negatively impact revenue from handgun carry permits, and refuse to pass it out of committee because of that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Passing 25-2 in the Senate, I would think it has a pretty good chance in the House. I seem to recall Haslam favored it when he was running for office?
View Quote

Remember, Haslam was a member of Bloomberg's MAIG while mayor of Knoxville. When he ran for Governor he quickly left MAIG and joined the NRA... During his campaign for governor he stated in multiple TFA meetings that he would sign a constitutional carry bill if one got to him, but have you seen him asking the legislature to pass such a thing?

If this passed and made it to Haslam's desk I think he would veto it just like he's threatened to do with the Guns in Parks bill.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#15]
House Finance seems to be where bills like this go to die.  I was really pulling for the Guns in Parks bill (HB1407).  It was just days away from a final House floor vote (assumed veto proof vote) when it was sidetracked to House Finance and Ways and Means.  The initial Guns in Parks law exempted local municipal / metro parks that had previous laws of no carry on the books.  The HB1407 would have voided the local exemptions.  As it is, the Guns in Park law here is about useless because of all the exempted walking, biking, strolling trails, muni-parks, etc. that meander through metro areas.  You go 20 yards and bump into another "No Carry" zone.

No "shall issue required" law could be the catch all, but I am skeptical.  More Kabuki theater for the masses.?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I personally feel that if you are legally allowed to own a firearm, you should be allowed to carry it however you see fit and not be required to obtain a permit.
View Quote

I think most of us here believe that.  

Good luck getting that passed without a huge fight though.  The agencies making money from the permit process will raise hell.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Several very sensible things in this bill.  This needs to pass!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Don't you remember me telling you about this when we were shooting pistols a few weekends ago?

Also, it's been discussed some in here already: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_38/548618_Legislature__set_to_open___Now_includes_Firearms_Calendar.html&page=2&anc=6097320#i6097320

I predict it will get killed in the House finance committee for some retarded reason, just like the Guns in Parks bill was killed earlier this session. They will claim that it will negatively impact revenue from handgun carry permits, and refuse to pass it out of committee because of that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never understood how a legislature could do that without a small-scale revolt.  That's corrupt in the highest manner.

I guess when government becomes so complicated that the regular person can't focus on all the happenings, this sort of stuff is allowed.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just when everybody is having a good day, ya bring up "that guy". Did Gaylord ever figure out how to present evidence to the court?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I never understood how a legislature could do that without a small-scale revolt.  That's corrupt in the highest manner.

I guess when government becomes so complicated that the regular person can't focus on all the happenings, this sort of stuff is allowed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our state government is absolutely corrupt. They get away with it because very few people pay attention. Most people couldn't tell you who their state senator is, much less how they voted on some bill. The good news is with the internet it isn't that difficult to follow what is happening in Nashville these days.

I attended a TFA meeting here in Knoxville a few weeks ago and John Harris said something very interesting. He said that since so few people actually pay attention to the state legislature, 100 phone calls on an issue is a huge deal to our politicians in Nashville. That can really work in the favor of a grass roots organization like the TFA where if the membership all just took the time to contact their state reps they would take notice.

Another thing I learned at the TFA meeting is that our wonderful politicians don't want to touch gun issues during election years, for fear of upsetting soccer moms I guess. So we would have a better chance of getting these bills passed next year. In the mean time we can try to replace some of the RINOs in Nashville this year. I wonder if the big NRA conference being in Nashville next year will help us some as well.

I encourage everybody to join the TFA if you haven't already.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is the TFA statement on the bill. I got that in an email today.

Apparently it was sent to the finance committee even though it shouldn't have been, as a tactic to kill it. And now that committee is just sitting on it, trying to run out the clock so that the house can't vote on it. This is your Republican super-majority at work folks.

The legislature is set to close in just days, so it is CRITICAL that you call and e-mail the following legislators on the House Finance Committee and tell them to "PASS HB2409 TO THE FLOOR"

It is also critical to call and email the Speaker Beth Harwell with demands that she intervene and bring this bill immediately to the floor.

Her contact information is:

Phone (615) 741-0709
Fax (615) 741-4917
[email protected]

This is our last chance this year, it is up to you!

CALL EACH OF THESE LEGISLATORS RIGHT NOW AND TELL THEM TO PASS HB 2409 TO THE HOUSE FLOOR FOR A FULL VOTE!!!

(The ones with the asterisk* appear to be opposed to the bill or "fence sitting" and actively trying to infringe your right to keep and bear arms)

*Charles Sargent, Chair(615) [email protected]

*David Alexander, Vice-Chair(615) [email protected]
*Gerald McCormick(615) [email protected]
*Steve McDaniel(615) [email protected]
*Dennis Roach(615) [email protected]
*Karen Camper(615) [email protected]
*Michael Harrison(615) [email protected]
Joe Armstrong(615) [email protected]
Kevin Brooks(615) [email protected]
Kent Calfee(615) [email protected]
Mike Carter(615) [email protected]
Barbara Cooper(615) [email protected]
Craig Fitzhugh(615) [email protected]
Steve Hall(615) [email protected]
David Hawk(615) [email protected]
Matthew Hill(615)[email protected]
Curtis Johnson(615) [email protected]
Larry Miller(615) [email protected]
Gary Odom(615) [email protected]
Johnny Shaw(615) [email protected]

Here is an email list if you would like to copy and paste in to your e-mail client:
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

In addition, do not forget to contact your personal House members and demand that they intervene!!!
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Good luck getting that passed without a huge fight though.  The agencies making money from the permit process will raise hell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'll lose some money, but not all of it. There are enough people who don't think open carry is a good tactic, so they'll want a permit. And, there are plenty of folks who'll want it for the ability to keep a loaded long gun in their car, even if it's just to be able to have their loaded mags with their guns when they go to the range.

In fact, I'd guess that the vast majority of current and prospective carriers would still get their permits, even if it means taking the class and paying the fee. Sure, you'll have some who'd be of the opinion that open carry is good enough, especially given the lack of expense involved. And, you'll have some who refuse to get a permit on principle. But, they'll be a small minority.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They'll lose some money, but not all of it. There are enough people who don't think open carry is a good tactic, so they'll want a permit. And, there are plenty of folks who'll want it for the ability to keep a loaded long gun in their car, even if it's just to be able to have their loaded mags with their guns when they go to the range.

In fact, I'd guess that the vast majority of current and prospective carriers would still get their permits, even if it means taking the class and paying the fee. Sure, you'll have some who'd be of the opinion that open carry is good enough, especially given the lack of expense involved. And, you'll have some who refuse to get a permit on principle. But, they'll be a small minority.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're looking at this all wrong.  It's not a bad thing depending on how many permits are lost.  It's a fundamental corruption issue that they would worry how much money, err revenue, they lose by allowing citizens to do this/that.  An agency should not look at laws based on how much they have to gain.

We started out in this nation with a set of laws telling us what we can't do.  We made so many (and repealed so few) that we've come full circle and are now issuing laws based on what we are allowed to do.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was saying you should be able to carry any loaded long-gun/handgun wherever you want without a permit, i.e. Constitutional Carry.

Alabama just lost the battle to allow permit-less handgun carry in their cars, because their Sheriff's Association feared they would lose money.  They didn't say that though, they said it would lead to increased road rage murders.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was saying you should be able to carry any loaded long-gun/handgun wherever you want without a permit, i.e. Constitutional Carry.

Alabama just lost the battle to allow permit-less handgun carry in their cars, because their Sheriff's Association feared they would lose money.  They didn't say that though, they said it would lead to increased road rage murders.
View Quote

If they had roads worth driving on, there might not be so much rage.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and Mississippi would be a war zone using that criteria.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:32:21 AM EDT
[#27]
If you are active duty or have a DD214 and a TNCP you've wasted money on a permit IMO. AZ non-resident carry permit is the way to go $60 and they mail it to you
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:18:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oops now that you mention it, I remember you brining that up. I am getting forgetful in my old age.

I guess I have been keeping up too much on KY issues. It's tough living on the state line and going over it every day. You have to keep up on 2 state's gun laws.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:24:43 AM EDT
[#29]
My daughter switched the radio station away from 99.7 talk station I usually listen to over to 97.5 rock station this morning. They were talking about the open carry bill. I was expecting them to go off about shootouts over every fender bender and parking lot dispute and blood running in the street etc.

To my surprise the guy and the woman talking about it were both saying it was no big deal and that 30 others states already have this with no problems. They said TN was behind the times on the issue. There was no negative talk about it at all. I was shocked. Looks like more and more people are finally getting it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:30:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fully agree that no permit should be necessary to exercise an unalienable right (the unalienable right to life, in my opinion, carries with it an intrinsic right to protect yourself from someone trying to deprive you of that right, using the most effective means available to you). I was simply offering a counter to the argument the Department of Safety might lose money, which I also agree isn't a valid argument to block this law. Unfortunately, this is the world in which we live.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:59:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Heh. I was just coming here to post this too.
Just read about it in Clarksville Now.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My daughter switched the radio station away from 99.7 talk station I usually listen to over to 97.5 rock station this morning. They were talking about the open carry bill. I was expecting them to go off about shootouts over every fender bender and parking lot dispute and blood running in the street etc.

To my surprise the guy and the woman talking about it were both saying it was no big deal and that 30 others states already have this with no problems. They said TN was behind the times on the issue. There was no negative talk about it at all. I was shocked. Looks like more and more people are finally getting it.
View Quote

Because guns have become more common and therefore not as fearsome, IMO.

There seemed to be a time 20-10yrs ago where gun owners almost hid their toys, only to turn it into a niche thing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#34]
They just added a $100,000 fiscal note to the open carry bill in a further attempt to kill it.

Here's the TFA statement on the fiscal note:
http://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/RjU0OUI5RkQzNzc0QjBCMUE5MDE6NzMxZjgzODllYTIyMWEwMGM0M2JmMTkwZTVmZWYxNTI6Ojo6

They said it would require a design change to current handgun carry permits, which would cost an estimated $100,000.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They just added a $100,000 fiscal note to the open carry bill in a further attempt to kill it.

http://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/RjU0OUI5RkQzNzc0QjBCMUE5MDE6NzMxZjgzODllYTIyMWEwMGM0M2JmMTkwZTVmZWYxNTI6Ojo6

They said it would require a design change to current handgun carry permits, which would cost an estimated $100,000.
View Quote

The senate bill was amended saying they don't have to change it. It's totally obvious what they're doing though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Unbelievable.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I called the Speaker's office and let her staffer know that the bill needs to be put before the whole House for a vote, sans fiscal note. I also e-mailed the entire Finance Committee and then called my Representative's office and left a voice mail about the need to support the bill and to remove it from the Finance Committee.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I called the Speaker's office and let her staffer know that the bill needs to be put before the whole House for a vote, sans fiscal note. I also e-mailed the entire Finance Committee and then called my Representative's office and left a voice mail about the need to support the bill and to remove it from the Finance Committee.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did the same thing with the latest "Carry in Parks" bill H1407 to kill it.  The TN House Finance, Ways and Means Committee has become the dumping ground for gun legislation that the gun grabbers do not like.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:13:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Just got another email update from the TFA on this. It had this choice quote in it:

"The budget we're working with makes no allowance for sums like that," said veteran state Rep. Steve McDaniel (R- Parker's Crossroads), who doubles as Deputy Speaker of the House.

McDaniel said he doubted that the bill would ever reach the floor for a House vote as the legislature steams toward a conclusion early next week. "It'll never get out of House Finance," predicted McDaniel, who said emphatically that he was personally disinclined to vote for the measure.

"Hell, no!" said McDaniel, who said that, if the measure passed, "Every gang-banger in Memphis will end up packing. Can you imagine?"
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just got another email update from the TFA on this. It had this choice quote in it:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

"The budget we're working with makes no allowance for sums like that," said veteran state Rep. Steve McDaniel (R- Parker's Crossroads), who doubles as Deputy Speaker of the House.

McDaniel said he doubted that the bill would ever reach the floor for a House vote as the legislature steams toward a conclusion early next week. "It'll never get out of House Finance," predicted McDaniel, who said emphatically that he was personally disinclined to vote for the measure.

"Hell, no!" said McDaniel, who said that, if the measure passed, "Every gang-banger in Memphis will end up packing. Can you imagine?"

^^^^^^^Could someone get in touch with McDaniel and advice him, "They Are Already Packing!"
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

^^^^^^^Could someone get in touch with McDaniel and advice him, "They Are Already Packing!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What the hell does the budget have to do with it anyways?  

A legislature can't "allow" citizens to have more freedom based on a budget.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[email protected]

I just email this turd. The subject of the email was "Every gang-banger in Memphis will end up packing. Can you imagine?"

This is what I said:

Every "Gang Banger" in Memphis is already "Packing" you idiot!

Wake up, dumbass.....

End email!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[email protected]

How does this email sound?  

You recently said in regards to Bill 2424 passing, "Hell, no! Every gang-banger in Memphis will end up packing. Can you imagine?"  

Newsflash:  They already are.  And you are standing in the way of not only a Constitutional right, but the safety/security of innocents in your state.  

Also, instead of letting bill concerning a fundamental right that's already been overwhelmingly accepted by the Senate (25-2 vote) die in finance based on some imaginary budget conflict, why don't you call out those who sent it to finance committee in order to strike it down?  Whoever sent it is not only lacking in honesty but integrity, and has no business representing the People.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't honestly think this is going to make it, and if it actually does. Everyone will get screwed by the state of TN on some kind of new tax to go with it's already numerous misappropriated funds!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You recently said in regards to Bill 2424 passing, "Hell, no! Every gang-banger in Memphis will end up packing. Can you imagine?"  

Newsflash:  They already are.  And you are standing in the way of not only a Constitutional right, but the safety/security of innocents in your state.  

Also, instead of letting bill concerning a fundamental right that's already been overwhelmingly accepted by the Senate (25-2 vote) die in finance based on some imaginary budget conflict, why don't you call out those who sent it to finance committee in order to strike it down?  Whoever sent it is not only lacking in honesty but integrity, and has no business representing the People.

Nice
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't honestly think this is going to make it, and if it actually does. Everyone will get screwed by the state of TN on some kind of new tax to go with it's already numerous misappropriated funds!
View Quote

I personally have no hope of it passing this session. But we need to be standing up and holding these corrupt politicians accountable for standing in the way of our Constitutional rights. Nothing will change if we don't hold them accountable.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I personally have no hope of it passing this session. But we need to be standing up and holding these corrupt politicians accountable for standing in the way of our Constitutional rights. Nothing will change if we don't hold them accountable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just spoke to the lady who answers Rep. McDaniel's phone, asking her to pass along to him that "Gang-bangers, by their nature and being involved in a criminal enterprise, are not likely to be stopped from carrying a gun simply because this bill is not allowed to pass."
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I just spoke to the lady who answers Rep. McDaniel's phone, asking her to pass along to him that "Gang-bangers, by their nature and being involved in a criminal enterprise, are not likely to be stopped from carrying a gun simply because this bill is not allowed to pass."
View Quote

Yep, logic always sways a leftie, I'm sure he'll change his position now.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:31:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Put enough money into any politicians "campaign fund" and you can make them be your puppet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top