Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2013 8:55:56 AM EDT
I prolly missed this as an earlier post, but why does Murfreesboro Police need a MRAP?

(Mods, delete me if this is a prior or a dupe post)

Man Questions New MRAP

I been thinking about retiring near Murfreesboro, but I sure ain't looking to settle down in any war zone.

Dallas, TX and OSU in Ohio got theirs:

Dallas Gets MRAP

what's up?
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I prolly missed this as an earlier post, but why does Murfreesboro Police need a MRAP?

(Mods, delete me if this is a prior or a dupe post)

Man Questions New MRAP

I been thinking about retiring near Murfreesboro, but I sure ain't looking to settle down in any war zone.

Dallas, TX and OSU in Ohio got theirs:

Dallas Gets MRAP

what's up?
View Quote

MTSU (in Murfreesboro) has developed a habit of making the news for the wrong reasons.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I want an MRAP...

"STEAL MY PARKING SPACE, YOU SUNNUVABITCH??!!??!! WELCOME TO THUNDERDOME!!!"

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#3]
The trend to militarize civilian police is disturbing.

Who are they going to war against?
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Us...
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

us
View Quote

now THAT is what really scares me
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I like how the discussion ended:

Guy:  "So we can give it back if there are unreasonable upkeep costs, right?"

Police: "Yes"  (hehehe)
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

us

That was my point.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That was my point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

us

That was my point.

I thought the article was about new apartments bringing in more crime, but it apparently was a standard meeting, with the MRAP thing added at the end.  What's so amazing to me, is that when he asked the question everybody else was said to have looked confused.  Now, the writer didn't explain if the confusion was due to why he asked the question, or if it was due to the revelation that the police had an MRAP.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 6:04:21 AM EDT
[#10]
In this case it is more like Penis envy with the Sheriff's Dept.  Sheriff's dept has had an old Cadallac Gage V-100 armored car for years.  M'boro City Police Dept sees itself as being the premier Police Department in the county so it has to have the newest and best for citiz.......ah...... criminal suppression.

This goes along with the departments using troo........officers from various departments in the multi jurisdicitional 'ICE Teams'.

Ever notice how it seems that every traffic stop turns into an almost must do drug search?  This utilizing an almost fire team effort.

I had both a 30 year military and LEO (city, county and Federal) work life and was proud of it.  I would not recommend them for anyone today!  Protect and serve has turned into search and SEIZE while ignoring the Constitution that they are supposed to defend.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#11]
They have no need for it at all. It is simply a matter of want.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, they do have that big mosque thingy going in. Maybe it's needed for a parade float? Or, maybe they are afraid that Forrest will come back.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#13]
These have been popping up all over the country. The US gives away surplus military stuff to departments that fill out proper forms.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
These have been popping up all over the country. The US gives away surplus military stuff to departments that fill out proper forms.
View Quote

But it's militarization of the police! Next they'll have PT standards and have to iron their uniforms.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

But it's militarization of the police! Next they'll have PT standards and have to iron their uniforms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, I'd like to see that before I saw all their explody and demolishy things from the military.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Dis, fo shizzle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, I'd like to see that before I saw all their explody and demolishy things from the military.

Dis, fo shizzle.

Agreed

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

In this case it is more like Penis envy with the Sheriff's Dept.  Sheriff's dept has had an old Cadallac Gage V-100 armored car for years.  M'boro City Police Dept sees itself as being the premier Police Department in the county so it has to have the newest and best for citiz.......ah...... criminal suppression.

--SNIP--
View Quote

RCSO has upgraded... they have a Lenco Bearcat, now.

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The trend to militarize civilian police is disturbing.

View Quote

Never seen a frat party out of control?????    
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Hendersonville got one too. WTF? Hendersonville is yuppieville.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hendersonville got one too. WTF? Hendersonville is yuppieville.
View Quote

I think it's the new normal.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Many places in middle and west Tn are getting these for free from Fort Campbell.  So I look at it this way, they are going to be buying some type of vehicle to transport their swat teams anyhow so way not get it for free and save the local tax dollars.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#23]
If I was a cop, the last thing I would want to use and quickly deploy from is an MRAP.  They need to send the 300 armored State Department Land Cruisers they've got laying around here....at $300k a pop.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Worst of all, it's probably a MaxxPro, and those are the most unstable version of the family. It's going to look great in the motor pool, but take a corner too fast and that big mother is going to be on its side.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Worst of all, it's probably a MaxxPro, and those are the most unstable version of the family. It's going to look great in the motor pool, but take a corner too fast and that big mother is going to be on its side.
View Quote

As long as it looks good.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If I was a cop, the last thing I would want to use and quickly deploy from is an MRAP.  They need to send the 300 armored State Department Land Cruisers they've got laying around here....at $300k a pop.
View Quote

Armored Land Cruiser? I want

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I had both a 30 year military and LEO (city, county and Federal) work life and was proud of it.  I would not recommend them for anyone today!  Protect and serve has turned into search and SEIZE while ignoring the Constitution that they are supposed to defend.
View Quote

I just got my 20 LEO  years in August. I have 10 more years in me but I am getting out for the exact reason. The lawmakers are making officer discression a thing of the past. New recurits come out of TLETA brainwashed tax collectors. I remember when being a cop was about problem solving...No longer the case. Most cops now are armed street level tax collectors.

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#28]
I remember the Rutherford Co SD got an armored car back in the mid '90s. They took it to that mechanic shop at the corner of Broad St and Maney St, I believe it was. I forgot who the head detective was, Bowman, that was it. Backed over a ladies Mercedes Benz getting it out of the lot. Tore the shit out of her car.
That little escapade cost the Sheriff's Dep't some money. And some good natured ribbing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I remember the Rutherford Co SD got an armored car back in the mid '90s. They took it to that mechanic shop at the corner of Broad St and Maney St, I believe it was. I forgot who the head detective was, Bowman, that was it. Backed over a ladies Mercedes Benz getting it out of the lot. Tore the shit out of her car.

That little escapade cost the Sheriff's Dep't some money. And some good natured ribbing.
View Quote

That truck is still alive... it isn't with the SO, though.

EDIT: Still a county asset, though :)

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't know how it is in your parts....but here, we get one from the surplus program for $5,000 delivered....too good to pass up - I guess?
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I loved my MaxxPro, but it was the + version (dually rear axle).  The part I was happy about was the adjustable gunners platform in the turret.  I'm 6'5'' so proper defilade can be a pain.  Still don't think the cops need em.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I loved my MaxxPro, but it was the + version (dually rear axle).  The part I was happy about was the adjustable gunners platform in the turret.  I'm 6'5'' so proper defilade can be a pain.  Still don't think the cops need em.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you happen to drive medics around?

Edit: Just re-read. You were gunning. That Pro in your avatar - with the cable mitigation and no EFP installed, was that your ride?

Link Posted: 11/4/2013 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I just learned that the RCSO may have a few surplus OH58D's laying around. Can anyone confirm? I'll look into it - but, easy intel is easy
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Edit: Just re-read. You were gunning. That Pro in your avatar - with the cable mitigation and no EFP installed, was that your ride?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No that was just a pic I grabbed.  We did carry battalion medics from time to time, as our truck was set up for litters.  But we were not a dedicated ambulance. Thank God we never needed them though.  This is a pic of my truck.
]
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

No that was just a pic I grabbed.  We did carry battalion medics from time to time, as our truck was set up for litters.  But we were not a dedicated ambulance. Thank God we never needed them though.  This is a pic of my truck.

]http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4017/4432607891_df8b4fc4d9_z.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

looks like my truck.

I'm sad now and I'm not sure why.

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
looks like my truck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

looks like my truck.

I don't know about you brother, but I know I miss it. You still in?
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

looks like my truck.

No, went to Fort Living-room in 2010
I miss it a lot.
Then I think about all of the bullshit when I was near a flag-pole, and then I feel better

EDIT: I won't lie though... I found myself in a National Guard recruiting center more than a few times, after...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top