Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2016 7:27:44 AM EDT
I am a MLO and my wife and I are really considering moving to the Saratoga Springs, Provo, Lehi area. That would obviously mean me starting over building up a client base but if the real estate/housing market is good, then it's doable. Any input would be great, companies to look into, areas other than what I mentioned, people etc.

This may sound odd and I would have never considered it had it not been for people telling me this, I hear mixed things about working with Mormons, such as, if you're not a Mormon, those that are, likely will not work with you. That alone would be a big hurtle to get past if a large percentage of the population is Mormon. I personally have no problem working with anyone but if I lose a large chunk of the pie just because I'm a plain ol Christian, then I may be better off staying here. Sound nutty? I hope so, we really want to move to Utah! We love the outdoors, especially dirtbikes and Utah has awesome riding, not too mention we love snow skiing as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Houses are turning over fast.  A real estate friend of mine says there are less than 2000 houses on the market right now.  Anything now under contract within 21 days has a problem.  House in my neighborhood sold last week after the sign had been up for less than 24 hours.

What do you consider Mormons?  

That "problem" you describe is for the most part nonexistent.  I do business with people based on their reputation and how they treat me as a customer.  Their religion (or even lack thereof) does not factor into it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a MLO and my wife and I are really considering moving to the Saratoga Springs, Provo, Lehi area. That would obviously mean me starting over building up a client base but if the real estate/housing market is good, then it's doable. Any input would be great, companies to look into, areas other than what I mentioned, people etc.

Houses are turning over fast.  A real estate friend of mine says there are less than 2000 houses on the market right now.  Anything now under contract within 21 days has a problem.  House in my neighborhood sold last week after the sign had been up for less than 24 hours.

This may sound odd and I would have never considered it had it not been for people telling me this, I hear mixed things about working with Mormons, such as, if you're not a Mormon, those that are, likely will not work with you. That alone would be a big hurtle to get past if a large percentage of the population is Mormon. I personally have no problem working with anyone but if I lose a large chunk of the pie just because I'm a plain ol Christian, then I may be better off staying here. Sound nutty? I hope so, we really want to move to Utah! We love the outdoors, especially dirtbikes and Utah has awesome riding, not too mention we love snow skiing as well.

What do you consider Mormons?  

That "problem" you describe is for the most part nonexistent.  I do business with people based on their reputation and how they treat me as a customer.  Their religion (or even lack thereof) does not factor into it.

Please don't take offense, like I said, it never crossed my mind until a few people said something to me. I'm very happy to read your response, my wife and I really want to move out that way.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#3]
There might be a problem if you close your deals with a 30 pack of natty light, I'd take a 24 pack of Yuengling
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Utah has changed a lot diversity-wise since I was a kid.

My dad is from here, my mom from Scandinavia.

We lived here briefly in the mid-80s in Bountiful.

All the areas you are talking about have a lot of young families, new homes, and a lot of businesses have relocated here for quality employees, friendly treatment of businesses, balanced budget at the State and local levels, with government agencies that actual work in most cases.  

UDOT, DMV, and the Courts are surprisingly fast here, compared to other States I have lived in (CA, ME, WA, GA, NC, VA, CO).

A very good family friend of mine is in real estate sales, as was my MIL.  The market or demographics here will not be a limiting factor.  Only your willingness to succeed will drive your results.

Utah is pretty strong in new housing starts, with a tight market supply, so things sell quickly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Utah has changed a lot diversity-wise since I was a kid.

My dad is from here, my mom from Scandinavia.

We lived here briefly in the mid-80s in Bountiful.

All the areas you are talking about have a lot of young families, new homes, and a lot of businesses have relocated here for quality employees, friendly treatment of businesses, balanced budget at the State and local levels, with government agencies that actual work in most cases.  

UDOT, DMV, and the Courts are surprisingly fast here, compared to other States I have lived in (CA, ME, WA, GA, NC, VA, CO).

A very good family friend of mine is in real estate sales, as was my MIL.  The market or demographics here will not be a limiting factor.  Only your willingness to succeed will drive your results.

Utah is pretty strong in new housing starts, with a tight market supply, so things sell quickly.
View Quote

Thanks so much, that's what I was hoping for and I kinda figured what I was hearing was BS.  Hopefully my wife and I will go out there for a week soon to scope the place out. To be honest, I'm very excited, the scenery is awesome and the skiing was even better. We are at a point in our lives that if we move, we need to do it soon.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There might be a problem if you close your deals with a 30 pack of natty light, I'd take a 24 pack of Yuengling
View Quote

Ha! That made me laugh!
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The Saratoga and Eagle Mountain area is a good one. USDA housing loans are making the area explode. I just went under contract to sell my house.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#8]
You'll find not not being LDS to be a much bigger problem in Utah county (the area you're looking at) than some other parts of the state. As long as no one sees you drinking coffee, you may be ok.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a fairly conservative guy with Christian beliefs and as a transplant here for 10 years can tell you that Utah is a nice place to live.  Sure there are Mormons here that can be jerks, just like there are in every religion. As a salesman I know of instances where I did not get the sale because "I was not a believer" but I have sold things to the LDS church without an issue.

In your line of work it might make it a little harder to network down in that area. I would suggest areas North of Salt Lake as they are a little more diverse.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#10]
One of my good buddies is a loan officer.  Although we are in Northern Utah.  So I don't think that helps down in Happy Valley.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a Mormon. I also just got a mortgage. I don't know if the lady who worked my file was LDS or not. I was far more concerned about my rate than her salvation. YMMV.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top