User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2015 12:13:49 AM EDT
Service desk, Network management, etc.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Strong.

Adobe, Proofpoint, 1800 Contacts, L3 Communication, EMC, HP, Bluehost/EIG, Mirantis, Vivint, Ancestry, and Oracle immediately come to mind.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 3:25:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Network engineer here...pretty good especially with service desk stuff. Our NOC is hiring for someone with a Cisco background and Linux experience.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Network engineer here...pretty good especially with service desk stuff. Our NOC is hiring for someone with a Cisco background and Linux experience.
View Quote

Which company?

I've got several years of data center experience, I know my way around Juniper, Brocade, Cisco, Arista, Dell, IBM, SonicWall, NetScreen, and Palo Alto network gear... Very proficient with all of those, in fact ... was principal over 70Gb/sec throughput   and 30,000 devices totaling over 340k MAC addresses and a /13 of IP space ...
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Which company?

I've got several years of data center experience, I know my way around Juniper, Brocade, Cisco, Arista, Dell, IBM, SonicWall, NetScreen, and Palo Alto network gear... Very proficient with all of those, in fact ... was principal over 70Gb/sec throughput   and 30,000 devices totaling over 340k MAC addresses and a /13 of IP space ...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which company?

Dude... OUTTA MY "HIRE ME" THREAD !!

Seriously, you sound like a better match for that one than me. I'm strong on Service Desk, but only capable in Cisco and only conversationally fluent in Linux.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Seriously, you sound like a better match for that one than me. I'm strong on Service Desk, but only capable in Cisco and only conversationally fluent in Linux.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which company?

Gotta network bro

You already in UT? Or just looking for a potential move?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Potential move.

If it happens, it will be somewhere in the Lehi area. (or an area in legitimate commuting range to there - this is non-optional)

That will be a separate thread.

Right now I'm just getting an idea of what I'll experience on the job hunt.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Potential move.
If it happens, it will be somewhere in the Lehi area. (or an area in legitimate commuting range to there - this is non-optional)

That will be a separate thread.
Right now I'm just getting an idea of what I'll experience on the job hunt.
View Quote

Do you have a resume you would feel comfortable sending to me? I know a bunch of people at most of those workplaces I mentioned -- shouldn't be hard to find out what you'd fit into.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I honestly think DarkCharisma may be over qualified..I spent a year and a half on that NOC, Amish sounds like a good fit. I may or may not sit in on those interviews.

Dark we have no Tier 3 openings right now but I'll keep you in mind if I hear anything.

Btw, down in Lehi area there is Adobe which is a great company to work for.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 1:26:46 AM EDT
[#9]
DC, Lord - Linked IN name sent.

I've tried to make it complete, but I'm not sure it really shows the full Jack-of-All-Trades aspect of what I did. Being a central Service Desk, we handled some aspect of everything from basic MS Office questions through the fun stuff - confidential HR terminations, internal application support, hardware and software troubleshooting, network, IP and VPN troubleshooting, documentation, training, mentoring, change control, process and policy creation, SLA and metric creation and monitoring, etc.

We did just enough of everything to have a clue and be able to fix most things, but large company siloing of functions kept us from getting into any of it deep enough to really be proficient in depth. As an example, I could fix all but one aspect of a hybrid hosted Exchange user account, but that one aspect was often the one keeping the account from working. We could pinpoint a synchronization failure between DNS and some of our DHCP servers, but we could not fix it. We were the ones to diagnose that the RSA security DB replicas had stopped syncing, but were not able to restart the sync. It got a bit frustrating trying to convince the people in those silos that their stuff was broken when they hadn't noticed anything wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE being a Jack-of-All-Trades type of tech. It provides a wonderful perspective and the ability to visualize an entire process, then drive it from design to implementation. It was the limits that chafed - only being able to do these things for internal department projects but running into political roadblocks if we wanted to extend them any further.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm hiring both a server engineer with VMware, Citrix and Windows experience and a network engineer with at least a CCNA but prefer a CCIE.  PM me for linkedin details.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Which company?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which company?

Want to interview in SL county?  

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:40:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Now that I have a Linux cert and a working background in Cisco, it doesn't look like the family will be relocating. Isn't that just the way it goes some days?

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Pretty good.  But with the "tech corridor" in Draper pretty full-up, all of the new companies are setting up in the north end of Utah County, so 1/2 to 2/3 of the jobs advertised are now down there.

Eventually, they'll move the prison and free up a LOT of space in Draper for more companies to come in, but that won't be soon.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Pretty good.  But with the "tech corridor" in Draper pretty full-up, all of the new companies are setting up in the north end of Utah County, so 1/2 to 2/3 of the jobs advertised are now down there.

Eventually, they'll move the prison and free up a LOT of space in Draper for more companies to come in, but that won't be soon.
View Quote

lol will probably be heading for an interview down in that area next week
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Just found this thread. Is the IT market still decent?  My wife and I are thinking about making the move out.  Our first child will be here in late Dec.  and we are thinking be a good time to relocate.  
I have solid background with MS, SharePoint, SQL, Azure, Microsoft cloud, AD IIS etc.

Thanks in advanced

Edit to add we love skiing so any recommendations on housing close to ski areas would be great
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:49:03 AM EDT
[#16]
If you can't get a good IT job in Utah, there's something very wrong with you.

Edit: And almost all the IT jobs are within an hour's drive of multiple resorts.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Stop temping me. I haven't been in my current job long enough to be ready to move.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Edit: And almost all the IT jobs are within an hour's drive of multiple resorts.
View Quote

Thanks!  I figured SLC area would be good.  I want to avoid town as much as possible, currently live on an acreage in the woods (well as much as can be for Iowa)
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks!  I figured SLC area would be good.  I want to avoid town as much as possible, currently live on an acreage in the woods (well as much as can be for Iowa)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SLC is densely populated. You would have to go an hour and a half east, west, or north from the major metro area to find any sort of largish acreage. Most of populated UT (Provo and SLC areas) are suburbia.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top