Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2015 6:29:02 PM EDT
Utah Night Multi-Gun Challenge

I've been wanting to put together a regular Night Multi-Gun Challenge down at North Springs for years now.  I will need some assistance from people that can help run the event, and would like to invite any interested sponsors as well.

This will include clear, concise, and quick stage briefings, with the ability to walk fast or run in some cases, while using a shot timer, working targetry, and keeping ahead of any problems that arise.

The concept for this event is action-based, covering multiple disciplines ranging from physical challenges, to quick problem-solving and multiple shooting disciplines.

Instead of shotguns like in 3-Gun, we will use precision rifle and designated marksman type stages, along with carbine and pistol stages with distances ranging from 600yds + down to conversational range in the houses.

North Springs has an amazing Cowboy Action Village, more long range rifle ranges than you can shoot in an evening, and multiple canyons chocked full of steel.

Matches will basically go down like this:

Arrive
Overall Scenario Brief
Safety Brief and Briefback from participants
DM/Precision Rifle Stages
While there is still light, we'll kick off with DM/Precision Rifle.  There will be at least two stages, and we have opportunities for urban DM as well as mountainous terrain. None of the stages will be canned, so you will start from a point that has no FOV over the target area, and will have to move, run, maneuver, and even fight to get into position to make your shots.

Night Gauntlet
Instead of running like a normal 3-Gun Match, the intent here is to be very fast-paced, where your performance includes moving from one bay or target area to another as part of each stage.  Let's say you start out from within a vehicle with a pistol access scenario from the passenger's seat in the back.  After clearing your targets from inside the car, you would grab the trunk monkey (your carbine), and maneuver along a course that is not limited to one particular bay, so you can't really game out the targets as they come into presentation along the course.  Everything is intended to be as blind as possible so you can train the OODA loop better, rather than the Sardine loop.

These stages will require back and forth use of your carbine and pistol, depending on the situation.  You will not know how many targets there are, how many round count per stage, or much info at all other than the initial scenario, safety, and ROE briefings.

Obviously, you will need weapon-mounted illumination, and will want to consider other forms of illumination as well.  There will be target indicators that let you know where targets and simulated fire are coming from in order to trigger responses.

The manner in which these events will progress involves movement over terrain, so you will finish in places far from the original start point.  North Springs covers a wide array of terrain on all segments of the range complex, with opportunities for moving targets, shoot houses, two-story shooting positions in the cowboy town at close and long ranges, canyons, flat ranges, and more steel than you can shake a stick at in a whole week.

The key to making this the type of event I'm envisioning will be competent, motivated, capable staff who can think quickly and make mature decisions, especially during hours of limited visibility.  For those interested in attending, post in the thread.  For those interested in helping as staff or sponsoring, email me.  I think this will be a real blast.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 2:55:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
We need the US Carbine Association to sponsor this!

I'll help if I can.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Would definitely be willing to shoot and help with a match like this.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like we have several people that are able to help run this with me.

I've been busy with Boy Scouts and business, and am coordinating with North Springs to get some initial dates set up.

I'm thinking we'll do a first run with those who are helping, take pics and video to let everyone see the concept, then go from there.

I've been wanting to set this up ever since I saw that range.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:21:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Count BigHate and I in on this. We will do whatever it takes to do this.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#6]
No precision rifle set up right now, but, I am down to help. Email me!
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been on a short leash lately awaiting the birth of our latest addition to the family, which happened this weekend.

I can start making plans now and get this in gear.  Thanks for all those who have offered their help.  With the combined input, I think we can have something that exceeds the sum of the parts.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top