Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 2:04:23 AM EDT
Hey,

My family and a friend's family are planning a trip into Utah.  One of the things we want to do is drive the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands.  We're looking at a couple of options, one of which is renting Jeeps in Moab to drive on the trail, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a company that rents Jeeps, or in the absence of that warnings of who to stay away from.  

Also, any advice on the trail itself would be much appreciated.  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 EDT
[#1]
I rented a RZR from Highpoint Hummer last summer. They were excellent.

I'd skip the Jeep and go with a RZR XP1000. A RZR will run circles around almost any Jeep.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd skip the Jeep and go with a RZR XP1000. A RZR will run circles around almost any Jeep.
View Quote

are you allowed to take it anywhere?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use of a trailer is included with the rental price. I trailered the RZR to a trailhead north of town, near the airport. Then came back to town and rode Fins & Things and Hell's Revenge at Sandy Flats recreational area. The RZR I rented was street legal (turn signals, mirrors, license plate, etc), so I drove it on the streets when I got back in Moab. The trailer isn't necessary if you're staying in town.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:55:28 AM EDT
[#4]
ATV's, including UTV's and (IIRC) dirt bikes are not allowed on the White Rim Road (or anywhere else inside the National Parks down there)... last I checked. 4x4's, Jeeps, Etc, are.

I drove the road in 2.5 days... I had to cut my trip a day short when my 5gal water jug sprung a leak from bouncing/sliding in the bed of my pickup. With only a few quarts of water didn't seem like a wise way to spend the next 36 hours on the trail. I was alone, and it was in February. I had the means, and a plan to hike out, if required, but I didn't risk it. I didn't see a soul once I hit dirt. It was wonderful.

In the later winter and early spring, rockfall can block the trail, or portions of it, requiring a long return trip back the way you came. I had to drive right on the edge of the trail, in a steep cliffed up section to get around a boulder that had fallen down and blocked most of the road. When I went back and made the rangers aware of the boulder, they dispatched a man in a jeep with some explosives to remove it.

The Green River side can have some pretty serious sandy sections once the road drops down to the river. Some areas can be very muddy and slick as well. The trail itself is not overly technical, and there are not any real major obstacles. These conditions change constantly, and one good storm can wipe out a road down there in minutes.

Take extra water and fuel. It's only about 100 miles of trail, but the slow going eats fuel, as do any of the short side roads you might take. I needed to top off my fuel tank from my jerry can to make it back to Moab.

The views are amazing. I could have spent a week exploring the area, and still felt like I was rushing.

You'll need a backcountry permit to camp overnight, and during some parts of the year, all the camp sites are reserved months ahead of time. It can be driven in a day... but its a VERY long day, and you'll miss a lot going so fast.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:27:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ATV's, including UTV's and (IIRC) dirt bikes are not allowed on the White Rim Road (or anywhere else inside the National Parks down there)... last I checked. 4x4's, Jeeps, Etc, are.

I drove the road in 2.5 days... I had to cut my trip a day short when my 5gal water jug sprung a leak from bouncing/sliding in the bed of my pickup. With only a few quarts of water didn't seem like a wise way to spend the next 36 hours on the trail. I was alone, and it was in February. I had the means, and a plan to hike out, if required, but I didn't risk it. I didn't see a soul once I hit dirt. It was wonderful.

In the later winter and early spring, rockfall can block the trail, or portions of it, requiring a long return trip back the way you came. I had to drive right on the edge of the trail, in a steep cliffed up section to get around a boulder that had fallen down and blocked most of the road. When I went back and made the rangers aware of the boulder, they dispatched a man in a jeep with some explosives to remove it.

The Green River side can have some pretty serious sandy sections once the road drops down to the river. Some areas can be very muddy and slick as well. The trail itself is not overly technical, and there are not any real major obstacles. These conditions change constantly, and one good storm can wipe out a road down there in minutes.

Take extra water and fuel. It's only about 100 miles of trail, but the slow going eats fuel, as do any of the short side roads you might take. I needed to top off my fuel tank from my jerry can to make it back to Moab.

The views are amazing. I could have spent a week exploring the area, and still felt like I was rushing.

You'll need a backcountry permit to camp overnight, and during some parts of the year, all the camp sites are reserved months ahead of time. It can be driven in a day... but its a VERY long day, and you'll miss a lot going so fast.

View Quote

Yeah, no ATV's.  We have our site reserved and are going in the last week of March and planning on two days on the trail with one night camping.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:10:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yeah, no ATV's.  We have our site reserved and are going in the last week of March and planning on two days on the trail with one night camping.  

View Quote

Make sure you take extra fuel and water. I can't say that enough.

Have you driven on slickrock before?

You'll have a blast, as long as you are prepared. What camp site are you reserving? My favorite camp was at White Crack. Some amazing views from there.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, extra fuel and water.

At the bottom of Mineral Canyon, check out the mine near the air strip, take Taylor Canyon and Lathrop Canyon side trips. It probably won't be an issue this year, but the Shafer Switchbacks are often closed until April because of ice. If they happen to be closed, Potash Road and Long Canyon are a nice detour.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:27:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

At the bottom of Mineral Canyon, check out the mine near the air strip, take Taylor Canyon and Lathrop Canyon side trips. It probably won't be an issue this year, but the Shafer Switchbacks are often closed until April because of ice. If they happen to be closed, Potash Road and Long Canyon are a nice detour.

Shafer was closed due to major rockfall when I went during my February trip a few years ago. I knew this ahead of time, so I had packed even more extra fuel than I had originally planned on. I went to the ranger station at Island In The Sky to get my permits, backtracked down Long Canyon, and took Potash to get back down to the bottom of Shafer. I camped at the very first campsite, just inside the park boundary that night. I really liked that spot... I don't recall the name

All this talk makes me want to take the family down there and try it again. I'm not sure if my crew cab Chevy would handle some of the tighter spots though. Something I need to check into.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shafer was closed due to major rockfall when I went during my February trip a few years ago. I knew this ahead of time, so I had packed even more extra fuel than I had originally planned on. I went to the ranger station at Island In The Sky to get my permits, backtracked down Long Canyon, and took Potash to get back down to the bottom of Shafer. I camped at the very first campsite, just inside the park boundary that night. I really liked that spot... I don't recall the name

All this talk makes me want to take the family down there and try it again. I'm not sure if my crew cab Chevy would handle some of the tighter spots though. Something I need to check into.

If it was still on Potash road, probably Shafer Campground, if it was after the turn, probably Airport Campground. I don't see why a full size pickup wouldn't make it. It certainly isn't technical at any point or limited by breakover or turning radius anywhere I can remember.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I think it was Shafer campground.

As far as my truck goes, it's a stock height 1/2 ton. It seems like there was at least one spot with some overhanging rocks that might be a bit tight, and I worry about sticking a fullsize in the sand on the Green River side. Big truck is a bit harder to push out.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I think it was Shafer campground.

As far as my truck goes, it's a stock height 1/2 ton. It seems like there was at least one spot with some overhanging rocks that might be a bit tight, and I worry about sticking a fullsize in the sand on the Green River side. Big truck is a bit harder to push out.

View Quote
If it's 4x4 it shouldn't have any trouble. Just have a 12 volt compressor and air down your tires on the trail.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You'll have a blast, as long as you are prepared. What camp site are you reserving? My favorite camp was at White Crack. Some amazing views from there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to hear.  White Crack is the one we reserved several weeks ago.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top