Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2013 11:11:45 AM EDT
I'm hoping for some info about ranges that rent handguns in the Salt Lake City area. My sister has finally decided that she needs a defensive handgun and she'd like my help with her selection.
I'll be visiting next week and would like to find someplace with a decent selection.
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. That looks to be convenient, location-wise, as well.

Link Posted: 12/26/2013 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Good on you for helping your sister make an important decision!

Doug's is on Redwood in Taylorsville. They have an indoor range and a pretty solid selection of rentals. A lot of Glocks, I like Glocks so there is some bias there... I've never used their range, but the guys there have been helpful and patient with me when I have needed to order parts. I'm just up the street.

I may be able to join you for a range session, if logistics work out, so she can try something from my modest collection without rental fees.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#4]
That one looks to be a good option as well. Thank you for the info and the offer.

I may be in touch depending on what she decides.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 for Doug's Shooting Sports on Redwood Rd.  I was there over the holidays shooting my own HK MP5 full-auto in their range.  I encountered no problems there.  Staff was very friendly.  You get free paper targets and hearing protection too.  For $8, it was a good deal.

I don't have any experience with their rentals.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did Doug's get their FFL sorted out?  Been a while but wasn't there an issue with a change of ownership and getting a new license?

View Quote

Nope, no FFL for them.

This is second- or third-hand, so don't take it as gospel.  But, what I've heard is that the owner lost his FFL because of many, many paperwork errors.  The son (thin guy with goatee that essentially runs the show) had always been intended to take over the business, so when that happened, he applied to get an FFL in his name and take over - but, (again, don't take this as gospel), the ATF said that because he was an employee (or manager) while all of the paperwork errors were taking place, they would not issue an FFL to him to take over the business.

So, since he can't get his FFL, then he continues to run it as a gun accessory store and range.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I had Doug's sell a gun on consignment many years ago, only to have it not sell so I decided to pick it up but they couldn't find the gun.  After a bit of panic they wrote me a check for my asking amount and hurried me out the door.

You mean that wasn't an isolated incident?

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#9]
dougs showed my wife and i utter contempt when we were searching for our first firearm as did galensons later on
those are the only 2 shops i refuse to do any business with

that being said try out gun vault on 10400 s 1300 w those folks have been very helpful when i was searching for a 1911
impact guns in west valley 4700 s 4200 w have always been very good to me and have a nice selection of rentals
i will also vouch for get some as they have been very kind to me on my visits there and they have a nice range (one of the nicest i have been to in regard to ventilation)
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I go to Get some guns and ammo in murray. was there last about a month ago. They have a decent selection of pistols. Probably all the stuff you wife would want to try. They also have NFA if you want to fool around. Range is not too expensive. Never rented handguns there. NFA = bring the checkbook. they will also rent you eye and ear protection if you dont have your own.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I know you could probably find somebody to say this about any shop, but my experience with Get Some in Murray is less than stellar. Some of the guys behind the counter are genuinely helpful and friendly, but others act like they can't be bothered to give you the time of day. I don't think I'll ever be back.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you all for your responses. Get Some was the range used and she had a good experience there. She decided on an FN FNX-9.

I'll be visiting again during the beginning of May and am looking forward to giving Gun Vault's range a try.

Link Posted: 3/15/2014 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I took my wife to GET SOME in Murray when she wanted to test drive a pistol prior to making a decision on which one was best FOR HER.

GET SOME was great.  Rentals were a bit pricey, but, it was WELL WORTH IT.

My wife got to shoot 10 or 11 different pistols and decide on WHICH pistol she liked best and shot the best with.

I have 'HEARD' good things about THE GUN VAULT though, and that will be on my TO VISIT list.

Will
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Doug's has an FFL again.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Doug's has an FFL again.
View Quote

for how long?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Doug's has an FFL again.
View Quote

Interesting.... VERY interesting!
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top