Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2017 10:37:28 AM EDT
Needing to selling a couple of rifles, due to medical costs.  So which shop would give me the best and fairest offer?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to be more specific.....

What types of rifles?

What manufacturer?

Where in this tiny state do you live?

IF these are AR's then be happy with 50-60% of what you paid.  The market is flooded with black rifles.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#2]
*not selling them here just what they are.

1 ar bcm mid length upper, fa bolt group on a spike's punisher lower.  Built it and never got to the range with it, outside of the BCM test firing it is a new rifle.  Just shy of 1100 into it, collecting dust.  Basically a new rifle.
1 yugo m48a unissued numbers matching.  Was seriously caked and baked with cosmoline that it took about a month to get it out. Nice condition of the wood, bore and crown are pretty amazing for the rifle.  I picked it up for a buddy who was going to buy it off me then he had the real life happen to him and it never panned out.  With my rotator cuff injuries I will never shoot it.
In Portland.
Was thinking NWarmory is my best bet.
    Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:57:26 PM EDT
    [#3]
    If you don't need the money fast consign them there, so they put them on line.  You'll probably net a whole lot more.  Need cash fast, then check there and Cabelas.  Cabelas sometimes pays stupid amounts for stuff.
    Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:33:14 PM EDT
    [#4]
    Cool thankies.
    Might take the m48 down there tomorrow.
    Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:59:52 PM EDT
    [#5]
    Why not sell them here, in the equipment exchange.  

Seems silly to pay a commission for something you can do yourself.
    Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:50:53 PM EDT
    [#6]
    Gun shops are in business to make money, and just like used car dealers, they make money by giving you the very least possible for your firearms (or cars).  This isn't an insult to those who buy guns, as I understand they aren't in business to give me a great deal, they are in business to feed their own family.  They can't make money if they buy your guns for what you think the guns are worth.

As an example, a friend of mine recently wanted to sell an unfired, pre-ban Eagle arms rifle circa 1992 with the factory metal case.  Gun shop said they would pay $400-600 for it as anything that went out the door of a gunshop is considered used.  He eventually sold it for $1750.00.

The best way to sell your guns is to sell them through the EE.  List your gun honestly, and price it fairly.  Keep in mind that guns are sort of like hot rod cars in that you never get out of them what you have into them.  Just because you have $2000.00 worth of goodies attached to your AR-15, doesn't mean it will bring that much.  Previous posts in this thread are correct in that the market is awash with all manner of AR-15's now, and that naturally drives prices down.  Search the EE and see what similar guns sell for, and price your rifle according to that, not according to what you have into it.
    Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:15:37 PM EDT
    [#7]
    Or just throw them up on gunbroker with a reserve.  Might get more that way.  You could also see if a local shop would consign it and see how much they'd charge for that.
    Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:48:52 PM EDT
    [#8]
    Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
    Quoted:
    Gun shops are in business to make money, and just like used car dealers, they make money by giving you the very least possible for your firearms (or cars).  This isn't an insult to those who buy guns, as I understand they aren't in business to give me a great deal, they are in business to feed their own family.  They can't make money if they buy your guns for what you think the guns are worth.

As an example, a friend of mine recently wanted to sell an unfired, pre-ban Eagle arms rifle circa 1992 with the factory metal case.  Gun shop said they would pay $400-600 for it as anything that went out the door of a gunshop is considered used.  He eventually sold it for $1750.00.

The best way to sell your guns is to sell them through the EE.  List your gun honestly, and price it fairly.  Keep in mind that guns are sort of like hot rod cars in that you never get out of them what you have into them.  Just because you have $2000.00 worth of goodies attached to your AR-15, doesn't mean it will bring that much.  Previous posts in this thread are correct in that the market is awash with all manner of AR-15's now, and that naturally drives prices down.  Search the EE and see what similar guns sell for, and price your rifle according to that, not according to what you have into it.
    View Quote

I would add that if you search places like the EE or Gun Broker, or wherever, for an idea of prices you see the asking prices for the most part.  You rarely see what the items actually sell for.  Just because you have seen X item listed for $1,000 doesn't mean that is what the seller actually netted.
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top