Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2017 5:53:11 PM EDT
Added post below...

First, the deposit should just go the hell away. Return centers are disgusting and populated by bums. Many folks, including myself, just recycle into the curbside bins. But, now that we have fallen below a certain return rate, ass-hats are raising the amount per container from $.05 to $.10. The fucking bums are going to have a hay day....

Screw you Oregon.gub

OLCC change

And stay off my lawn
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#1]
First off it not a deposit, it's a tax.      The sooner you come to grips with that the better you will be.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Now when food stamp folks buy cases of bottled water with their EBT card they can afford twice as many cigarettes and beer off of the deposit! If you are opposed to this then you must want children to starve.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:50:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now when food stamp folks buy cases of bottled water with their EBT card they can afford twice as many cigarettes and beer off of the deposit! If you are opposed to this then you must want children to starve.
View Quote

This is the part that pisses me off the most.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Yesterday I went to a bottle redemption center located between home and work and signed up for an account.

Basically, I buy their bags at $.15 each and when it's full I label it and just drop it off...They count the cans and put it in my account. I can withdraw from the account at anytime (ATM within the bottle drop facility).

Yes there were stinky bums turning in cans yesterday but the place was really clean (King Rd. and Linwood, Milwaukie). And, I don't have to put the bottles/cans into the machine...I just drop off up to two bags a day.

I'm a little less pissed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yesterday I went to a bottle redemption center located between home and work and signed up for an account.

Basically, I buy their bags at $.15 each and when it's full I label it and just drop it off...They count the cans and put it in my account. I can withdraw from the account at anytime (ATM within the bottle drop facility).

Yes there were stinky bums turning in cans yesterday but the place was really clean (King Rd. and Linwood, Milwaukie). And, I don't have to put the bottles/cans into the machine...I just drop off up to two bags a day.

I'm a little less pissed.
View Quote
You get a 20% bonus on the amount in your BottleDrop account if you print out the BottleDrop voucher at Albertson's, Fred Meyer, and some other participating stores.  There are little BottleDrop kiosks near the customer service desks of those stores where you can scan your BottleDrop card and do it.  The BottleDrop website has info:  BottleDrop Rewards
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I actually wish we had a deposit here in Montana, we have no recycling for glass, so there is always bottles all over the side of the road and you have to take your cans to the local recyclers, they do pay you by weight, but it sure makes a mess, but I always keep a couple of yard bags with me and just pick stuff up when I am out in the woods.  Normally pick about a hundred bucks a year up by just picking the cans up and taking them in.

I have not taken any cans in for the last couple of years and one of my 3/4 ton trucks is full of bags of cans all the way cab high, I will have to run it into town once spring gets here.  Might have a couple of hundred dollars worth in it.

As far as bottles and plastics, they just get thrown in the regular trash and taken to the transfer station.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:38:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
First off it not a deposit, it's a tax.      The sooner you come to grips with that the better you will be.
View Quote

Not that I am defending the bottle deposit, but it is a deposit, not a tax. Show me where I can get a full refund on my taxes.

If you do not return the cans for the deposit, then sure, you could look at it as a tax.

A tax is a compulsory contribution, a deposit (while compulsory in this case) is a returnable sum.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#8]
ITT Old man yells at cloud.

meanwhile...

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Soda Stream for my soft drinks. Other things just go to recycling so I don't have to hassle with returns. Sucks but I don't have that many beer bottles.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#10]
So I hit the bottle return store on Saturday...easy money. Swipe my card, open the door, and put the tagged bag in the bin. Done.
I found out talking with one of the employee's this is a coop between the local stores; Fred Meyer, Safeway, etc...

Another perk? If we go into FM (maybe others as well) and use the bottle drop ATM, we get a voucher for 120% of the money to be used at the store.
Example: if our bottle account has $10, we get a FM voucher for $12.00

And I'm still yelling at clouds...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top