Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2016 11:26:56 PM EDT
My wife and I took a big road trip the last couple weeks and visited Oregon. We are actually now thinking about moving out there. We specifically slipped into CA just to see the large Redwood Trees and then took hwy 101 from Crescent City CA up the coast to Newport OR before going inland to Corvallis turning North to Salem and then slipping through Portland and home through Idaho.

So tell me about living in Oregon?

My wife loved the state and particularly liked Salem and thought it was pretty nice. Newport and Corvallis were nice too. Of course we only looked around for a bit and it is hard to really understand and get to know a city or state from just passing through. The people seemed really nice and we were amazed that people actually talk to you in the grocery line or out in public. We don't have that here in our small Iowa town. I hated Portland in just the small taste I had as it seemed way too populated and Liberal for me.

I am an Network / IT person and my wife is an Accountant by trade. I liked the state but the not being able to pump my own gas kinda irritated me from an independent angle and of course the price is higher too. I also understand they are trying to increase corporate taxes which IMHO would really hurt jobs and industry there? We both loved the small coastal towns, but of course jobs are tougher there I am sure and tourism or commuting are the only options IF one could afford to live close to the coast.

Any info, help and thoughs appreciated
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:26:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Whoa... you actually like Salem?  

Oregon is a huge, mostly unpopulated see of red, ruled by a few rather dense pockets of blue.  Awesome scenery throughout, so much variety, every season has its own beauty.  The economy ranges from awful to so-so to red-hot, it all depends on your industry and location.  An IT guy and an accountant?  You'll be fine.  Yes, more new taxes on the horizon.  State government is run by utter morons, and the dumb-shit liberal voters in this state just keep recycling them over and over and over.  Corruption rampant.  Sorry to sound so negative but Oregon, politically, sucks balls right now.  Jobs are tough on the coast but COL actually isn't too bad.  Portland vacillates between shithole and uber-gentrified hipster heaven, often in the span of just a few blocks.  Food and drink scene is pretty damn good if you can stand the hipster stench.  We'll venture up there every few weeks to a few favorite places, then scurry home and shower twice.

Remarkably vibrant gun culture for how liberal the state has become.  Do you shoot Highpower?  We could use some more Highpower shooters at our matches.

Yeah, it kinda sucks you can't pump your own gas... but you can pump your own diesel (some stations get a little butthurt about it, but it's perfectly legal; at the Chevron I use, the diesel pump is completely unattended).  Fuel prices are higher in OR than either WA or CA largely b/c there are no refineries in OR... it all has to be brought in from WA or CA.  Of course, west coast fuel prices in general probably seem high to a midwesterner.  Oh, would you please keep the ethanol shit to yourself?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:41:56 AM EDT
[#2]
You stopped in Salem and your car didn't get broken into?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#3]
We stopped and did a couple loads of laundry at a laundromat in Salem. It was in a stripmall a few blocks from the riverwalk area. I was surprised that It was actually clean and not full of dirtbags. I did notice a lot of homeless types hanging around the Safeway near the downtown area. We have pretty bad meth problems here in Iowa and I assume that is the case a lot of states right now. You just have to be aware and watch where you go. I really disliked the fact that there was no reciprocity for CCW and no way to carry. I chatted with a really nice "kid" at a gun store in Florence who liked it out there. He seemed to think that open carry without a permit was legal but was unsure and I didnt have time to look it up while on the road.

I fricken hate Ethanol additive as it destroys small engines and causes poor fuel mileage. I enjoyed being able to put in Chevron fuel out West.

I am also a firearms instructor and shoot and teach primarily pistol, but wouldn't mind getting into hipower. I hunt whitetail deer, turkey, pheasant, quail and like to bass fish. I think I would like the chance to go after Elk, Salmon and Trout.

Oh, kudos to the state of OR as every restroom and rest stop were nice and clean. I cant say this for CA, UT or NV. I think the worst rest stops were in NV

My wife was in Safeway getting some camping groceries and didnt have a members card. The person behind her chimed in and said "just use mine". That may happen in Iowa but not in the town I am from as people are assholes.

Also the best things we saw on the trip were FREE in Oregon. I like how the beaches are all public access !
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: Fuel prices are higher in OR than either WA or CA largely b/c there are no refineries in OR... it all has to be brought in from WA or CA.
View Quote

I just checked http://www.gasbuddy.com/USA and as of today it gives:
OR  $2.478
WA  $2.610
CA  $2.818 (CA was highest in the country)

Not being able to pump your own gas seems strange at first, but once you get used to it the lazy kicks in and it's nice not to have to do it, especially when it's cold out. Late at night, though, many gas stations close and you can't just drive up, pay with CC, and get your own gas.

I live in Salem and find it cheap, safe, convenient, and boring. YMMV. Aside from the politicians, crime is pretty low.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

OR  $2.478
WA  $2.610

Not being able to pump your own gas seems strange at first, but once you get used to it the lazy kicks in and it's nice not to have to do it, especially when it's cold out. Late at night, though, many gas stations close and you can't just drive up, pay with CC, and get your own gas.

I live in Salem and find it cheap, safe, convenient, and boring. YMMV. Aside from the politicians, crime is pretty low.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Fuel prices are higher in OR than either WA or CA largely b/c there are no refineries in OR... it all has to be brought in from WA or CA.

OR  $2.478
WA  $2.610

The people who talk shit about Salem don't live in Salem for the most part.  

Most of the people who talk shit about Salem live in the Portland Metro area and like to bitch about Salem because they keep exporting their biggest morons and fascists down here each November.  

That Safeway is one of the seediest grocery stores in Salem.  There are some convenience markets that would put it to shame, but as far as the larger chains go, that one there between Center and Marion is a shithole.  The bums like to have a leisurely morning of pissing on the trees down at the park under the Center St. bridge before making their way over to the Union Gospel for some free breakfast to start their day.  Then they like to see who's working the corner cardboard begging sign shift there at 12th and Center.  

Salem has some really nice areas and its worst areas don't hold a candle to what Portland has to offer.  It's within an hour of the coast, less than an hour to Portland if you want to sample the most varied food and beer options in the northwest, an hour and a half or so from skiing, and is only a couple hours' drive from the high desert.  If you like hunting, fishing, hiking, kayaking, camping, ATVing, off-roading, shooting, snowmobiling, ocean fishing, or just about anything else outdoors, you're within an easy 3 hour drive and typically much shorter.  

If you do decide to come out this way, IM me when you're ready.  I've been in the real estate industry here in Salem for over twenty years and am happy to answer any questions.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I love having the gas jockey fill my tank, take my money while the rain is falling.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, you could not convince me to live in OR again.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#8]
You can pump your own gas in Oregon if you're fast enough. I've done it plenty of times.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry, you could not convince me to live in OR again.
View Quote

+1

I'll never go back there to live.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
The gas thing is insanely dumb - mostly from the fact that most gas stations "close" at night, so you can't roll up anytime you want and fill up. I had a really annoying road trip one time where I ended up having to back-track 50+ minutes to go back to a town that had an open station one time before heading over a pass - even though I was sitting right next to multiple gas stations - it's just they were all closed.

Living here is "okay" but I think Idaho is better. Idaho is everyone in Oregon's fallout plan for as soon as the state gets too liberal to handle haha.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top