Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2016 2:38:34 AM EDT
Looking at the Lane County Sheriffs Dept CHL appt calendar, the next open date for an appointment is Sept 7th. Seems pretty excessive, what gives?

Saw something from when they first went to appointments, saying walk in times were getting up around 3 hours. Sooooo.... somehow 6 months is better? What am I missing here? Also, what exactly is the whole point of the interview, since Oregon is a shall issue state, and a background check needs to be done anyway? And 2 references, really? Have had CHL in Texas, and CWP in Florida and never had to jump through so many hoops.

Also, the application says I need to have a copy of my DD214. Don't have a copy with me, do I really need to write to St Louis or wherever DD214's are stored? Will they accept a VA card? Oregon I am disappoint! Well, Lane County at least. Really don't want to open carry, but also don't like being unarmed for 6 months.

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Washington county was booked out a few months also when I sent the wife to get hers. Lots of people currently applying.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Which is great, the more the merrier. But, 6 months wait just to get an appointment to even be able to turn in my application seems really excessive. Gonna go in to the Sheriffs Dept this coming week and see what's up. Maybe they only process apps when the sun is shining.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Six months does indeed seem excessive.  I believe that they process the applications every day in betweeen doing prints and photos for other backgrounds.  There is no interview per say, they are briefly looking at the forms, confirming ID and doing prints and such.

They went the appointment system after getting complaints of the long lines.  More and more people are getting their CHL.

If the form says that you need your 214 then that's what the law requires.  This would be instead of a "class".

Good luck on your visit.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I have renewed mine 4 times I have never had an appointment except for the first time getting issued the CHL. The first time I when it was issued it took a half hour may be a hair longer. Every time I have renewed mine I have been in and out in a lot less than a half an hour. All ways gone early in the morning.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got back from Sheriffs Dept, they confirmed over 6 month wait for next appointment. But was able to turn my packet in right then and there. So, appt system needs fixing but not my problem anymore
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
As a person who has tried to use Lane County's public servants in other areas of government before, I can tell you that they don't give a shit.  

Several years ago I was in their Assessor's Office to get some information for a piece of land that I couldn't get online.  I was in there with four other people who had all taken a number and were sitting there waiting to be helped.  There was no one at the counter and you could see in the back that there were easily half a dozen to ten people having a fucking birthday party, including cake with candles.  I got fed up and left after about the time they started opening presents.  

The attitude of Lane County's public employees is that you are there to bother them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Douglas county is at least five months out on their chl apps too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a person who has tried to use Lane County's public servants in other areas of government before, I can tell you that they don't give a shit.  

Several years ago I was in their Assessor's Office to get some information for a piece of land that I couldn't get online.  I was in there with four other people who had all taken a number and were sitting there waiting to be helped.  There was no one at the counter and you could see in the back that there were easily half a dozen to ten people having a fucking birthday party, including cake with candles.  I got fed up and left after about the time they started opening presents.  

The attitude of Lane County's public employees is that you are there to bother them.
View Quote

Your tax dollars at work
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Douglas county is at least five months out on their chl apps too.
View Quote

They did call me pretty quick and asked if I could come in on a Sunday. At the time I had made an appointment about 3 months out, but they got me in in like I want to say 3 weeks. The lady told me they are working 6 days a week and pulling over somebody from records to handle all the apps. I was surprised when they issued me a license on the spot in 15minutes, she said they had already done all the background and stuff in advance to make it go faster.
I'm wondering if Hanlin is running again and how do I make a campaign contribution? He really came through to help out the residents of Douglas County. (I don't know much about how politics work)
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got to give a thumbs up for the Douglas Co Sheriff Office. While I only needed an address change I dropped the paper work in on Thursday and got my new permit in the mail on Sat. Can't complain about that
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Finally went out and checked my mail and CHL already arrived, postmarked March 7th, one week after turning in packet, wow! Sorry Lane County Sheriffs Dept, I take back everything I said about you

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Deschutes County residents are having to wait several months to get their concealed handgun license permits due to a backlog at the sheriff's office.
View Quote

"I just ask for the citizens' continued patience as we try to work through this challenge," Nelson said. "We are trying to shorten those wait times for those appointments because we understand those concealed handgun applications are important."

The sheriff's office has hired an extra employee to help process the applications.
View Quote

http://www.ktvz.com/news/deschutes-county-dealing-with-weapons-permit-backlog/38452062

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I got mine renewed last summer.
The Nice lady let me slide a couple days past expiration,but she said to make sure and make an appointment 6 months in advance cause the rules have changed to appointment only
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top