Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2016 10:13:20 AM EDT
I'm in Oregon (Hillsboro specifically) for a few weeks on business and was wondering how you all mount your cell phones legally in your car.  

I was going to bring my windshield mount from AZ with me but read that it was illegal in Oregon.

I use my phone as my GPS and have a Bluetooth device to take calls which from what I've read is perfectly legal as long as you are not texting or touching your phone while driving.

Any suggestions with links for purchase?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I just look through the Oregon Revised Statutes.
Nothing in there about cell phone mounts.
ORS 815.220 Obstruction of vehicle windows.
• penalty
(1) A person commits the offense of obstruction of vehicle windows if the person drives or moves on any highway or owns and causes or knowingly permits to be driven or moved on any highway any vehicle with windows obstructed in a manner prohibited under this section.
(2) The windows of a vehicle are obstructed in a manner prohibited by this section if any material that prevents or impairs the ability to see into or out of the vehicle is upon any vehicle window described in this subsection. This subsection applies to any sign, poster, one-way glass, adhesive film, glaze application or other material if the material prevents or impairs the ability to see into or out of the vehicle. This subsection only applies to the following windows of the vehicle:
(a) The front windshield.
(b) The side-wings.
(c) The side windows on either side forward of or adjacent to the operators seat.
(3) Nothing in this section prohibits safety glazing materials of a type that conforms to standards established under ORS 815.040 (Standards for window and windshield material).
(4) Nothing in this section prohibits placement of permits in accordance with the provisions of ORS 803.650 (Placement of permits in vehicles) or with rules adopted by the Department of Transportation under ORS 803.650 (Placement of permits in vehicles).
(5) Nothing in this section prohibits the application of tinting material to the windows of a motor vehicle in compliance with ORS 815.221 (Tinting).
(6) The offense described in this section, obstruction of vehicle windows, is a Class D traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §490; 1985 c.16 §255; 1987 c.166 §5; 1995 c.263 §4; 1995 c.383 §91; 2003 c.158 §5; 2013 c.199 §1]

Not a lawyer, drove all over Oregon, Washington, Idaho Montana, and Canada with a Garmin stuck to the windshield.  No worries.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got my diesel tuner stuck to the left side of my windshield. No issues. But you can always call OSP and ask.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses guys!

I went ahead and just got a mount that clips on to the air vent, seems to work good enough for this trip.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I see lots of Garmins mounted with suction cup mounts on windshields.  I would think phones would be ok but I wouldn't mount one there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top