Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2015 7:52:25 AM EDT
Out riding the other day and found new signs on all the Weyerhaeuser gates.

It looks like the days of free access to Weyerhaeuser land are over.   Permits are $160. in my area.

https://www.wyrecreationnw.com/HomePage.aspx

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not surprised. With as many people trashing their land I can't say I blame them.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not surprised. With as many people trashing their land I can't say I blame them.
View Quote

Not only this, but also with the extreme fire danger this year, I'm sure they would like to deter as many people as possible from acting irresponsible on their land.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
That and to know that those who are on their land understand and accept the rules.

IMHO $160 is cheap for access to a good hunting property. Especially knowing that there will likely be limited numbers of people who pay up for the privilege. I think that is a much better solution than shutting it down completely.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I know they own the land, but I still dont get how they can block access to public land behind it with locked gates on established roads.
Also, a few bad apples spoil the bunch. I really fucking hate people sometimes. I get very depressed about the sad state of affairs compared to what it used to be in this country. Id trade cell phones, computers, and the TSA in a heartbeat for self reliance, an educated mind, and freedom.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know they own the land, but I still dont get how they can block access to public land behind it with locked gates on established roads.
Also, a few bad apples spoil the bunch. I really fucking hate people sometimes. I get very depressed about the sad state of affairs compared to what it used to be in this country. Id trade cell phones, computers, and the TSA in a heartbeat for self reliance, an educated mind, and freedom.
View Quote

I hear where your coming from and agree, but unfortunately, I'm afraid that ship has sailed.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Unfortunately most of the timber companies have been closing more and more of their land for public access.  Once fire dangers go high enough they stop working those cuts, and lock the gates.  Environmentalists are also a problem for some of the companies down here, people sabotaging equipment, etc, sad thing is that the timber industry does more good for the environment with replanting.   $160 for a permit is cheap, down here its 3-500 yearly depending on the company.

Hunting public land is also becoming more of a pain along with increased tag/license fees ODFW has their heads so far up their ass it's not funny.  Most of the people here truck hunt, so your likely not going to find a private area unless your willing to hike in a half mile or so.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 1:21:55 AM EDT
[#7]
As a rule I don't ride through the gates.  Either they are locked or when open you can never tell when they will be closed for the day.  I do lament the loss of places where I could at least walk and maybe pop off a few rounds though.  I spend a lot of time riding the logging roads and more and more places I used to shoot are now blocked off or "off limits".

Unfortunately we are our own worst enemy.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Is this near the location of the proposed LNG plant? Isn't that supposed to be built on some old Weyerhauser land?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:28:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is this near the location of the proposed LNG plant? Isn't that supposed to be built on some old Weyerhauser land?
View Quote

I don't know. First post, welcome aboard !
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 2:25:23 AM EDT
[#10]
it is nice to know that there is some of their land that can be accessed. growing up in curry county all their gates had signs that said anyone past was trespassing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top