Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2015 8:43:05 PM EDT
He's going to fuck up mass transit as well as traffic.  

Portland Police Bureau

May 05, 2015 15:3

President Barack Obama will be visiting the Portland Metro area on Thursday and Friday this week and the Portland Police Bureau would like to make the public aware of several traffic-related inconveniences that are expected.

The Bureau understands the impacts to commuters, businesses and people frequenting Downtown Portland and appreciates patience and understanding during a Presidential visit.

The Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) is encouraging people to work from home (if possible) or ride a bicycle in to work to avoid being stuck in some of the vehicular traffic delays.

The area from Southwest Morrison to Washington, 9th to 12th Avenues will be closed to all traffic, including the Portland Streetcar. The closure will begin at 2:00 p.m. Thursday and is expected to reopen at 8:00 p.m. There will be limited pedestrian access to the closed area, at Southwest 11th Avenue and Morrison Street.

Portland Streetcar will run a modified service with Central Loop trains connecting NW 23rd Ave to the Lloyd District and OMSI via the Broadway Bridge.

The North/South line will operate between South Waterfront and Portland State University. There will be no Streetcar Service on 10th and 11th Avenues from 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

The area from Southwest Morrison to Stark Street, and 4th Avenue to Broadway, will be closed to all traffic, including the TriMet bus mall and the Yellow and Green MAX lines, beginning at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, reopening at approximately 9:00 a.m. on Friday. There will be limited pedestrian access to the closed area, at Southwest 5th Avenue and Stark Street.

TriMet is encouraging riders to please plan extra time for their commute. Delays may be significant Thursday afternoon and Friday morning as police will instruct MAX trains to hold for an indefinite period of time whenever the President or his motorcade is nearby.

MAX Green and Yellow lines will be disrupted from 6:30 p.m. Thursday through 9:00 a.m. Friday. Green and Yellow lines will run on the Blue/Red tracks on 1st Ave and Morrison/Yamhill in Portland City Center. Buses will detour off the Transit Mall on 5th and 6th Avenues between Southwest Oak and Yahmill Streets from 7:00 p.m. through 9:00 a.m. Friday as well. Delays could be 30 minutes or more for both trains and buses as all traffic will be impacted.

For service information go tohttp://wwww.trimet.org

On Friday morning, there will be motorcades that will affect the morning commute so drivers should be especially aware of these disruptions.

###PPB###

Media Relations:

Sgt. Pete Simpson

Desk: 503-823-0830

Pager: 503-790-1779

Portland Police Bureau

1111 SW 2nd Ave, Suite 1526

Portland, Oregon 97204

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
$5 says that the words "common sense" are used no fewer than 5 times in his speeches he does while here.  Seriously, shut down half of the city and most of the mass transit through town just for this guy.  He spends more time flying around and patting himself on the back than actually running this country.  ugh.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#2]
For what? To congratulate someone for passing SB941?
And talk about how its a good first step?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I never ceased to be amazed how the president, regardless of political persuasion creates absolute chaos when he travels around the country - it is absolutely ridiculous!.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#4]
So this is why they passed sb941. So Obama would come and pat them on the back. There is no way the timing of this is a coincident.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck it. Im staying in Idaho. My drive home from the airport is gonna suck, bad.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never ceased to be amazed how the president, regardless of political persuasion creates absolute chaos when he travels around the country - it is absolutely ridiculous!.
View Quote

...and rarely even makes public appearances while doing so. Not that I would want to even go and see the guy, but let's be honest - he pretty much only visits the PNW to go directly from AF1 to fundraising events.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:05:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So this is why they passed sb941. So Obama would come and pat them on the back. There is no way the timing of this is a coincident.
View Quote

When the ubc/ magazine ban passed in Colorado VP Joe Biden was on the phone calling individual Democrat state representatives urging them on. I would not doubt if Obama was doing this in Oregon.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#8]
FBHO
Obama's in town and I don't care, doo dah, doo dah.
My office is like 4 miles east of the airport and I am Damn glad he went south from there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:25:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Obama is an asshole.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Obama is an asshole.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Someone should've started a petition disapproving his visit. Stay the fuck away. We don't want you here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top