Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/4/2015 9:09:43 PM EDT
Just heard on the radio that the House approved SB 941, so it's off to the Governor's desk.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, it's on oregonlive now as well.

Pretty much knew it was going to happen.  

I guess if you wanted to buy or sell a gun privately, better get it done quick, now.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck them. As long as I know my buyer it's business as usual.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
In completely unrelated news I've just started a company that provides bill of sales dated yesterday! I'll call it the SB941 stationary company.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I am getting tired of the lies that are being forced down we the peoples throats. It is time for a truth in legislation law. I am really pissed off by this one.

The next issue: FFL's are about to get slammed and are not going to be happy about it. Great…..
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:32:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Next they'll want registration. Background checks are worthless if they don't know where all the guns are...
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Nothing COC compliant to say.  Not a fucking thing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Next they'll want registration. Background checks are worthless if they don't know where all the guns are...
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:37:57 AM EDT
[#8]
All the lies that pushed this one through make me sick. Amazing how elected officials on the state level are so easily bought.

I recently visited Idaho, it was like going to another country. Liberal bullshit was almost non-existent. Unfortunately the rural communities on the state or national level are going to have to brunt the burden of the voters of the metropolitan areas.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:01:14 AM EDT
[#9]
WTF? Is gun crime common up there? Some reading said Josephine and Grant county Sherrifs will not enforce it if it passes, I'll assume the Lane county Sheriff is cool with this?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:26:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
WTF? Is gun crime common up there? Some reading said Josephine and Grant county Sherrifs will not enforce it if it passes, I'll assume the Lane county Sheriff is cool with this?
View Quote

Portland has a shooting what seems like once or twice a week, judging by the 10PM news.  It's nothing like other big cities in comparison as far as I can tell.

This legislation was all about "feelings".  There was even compromised legislation introduced that would have put criminal and civil liability on a person if they were to unknowingly sell to a prohibited person w/o conducting a background check but would still allow private sales w/o the background check.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:48:07 AM EDT
[#11]
So what is the penalty for violating this? Felony? I found out that selling at a gun show without doing a background was only a misdemeanor and only on the seller (before this law passed).
I read somewhere that you have to use a dealer? Not just call in the background your self like you could do at gun shows up untill now?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:15:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So what is the penalty for violating this? Felony? I found out that selling at a gun show without doing a background was only a misdemeanor and only on the seller (before this law passed).
I read somewhere that you have to use a dealer? Not just call in the background your self like you could do at gun shows up untill now?
View Quote

I believe the first offense is a misdemeaner and second is a felony.
Once gonernor signs it and it goes into affect individuals must take gun to a dealer and both be present for the dealer to do the back grund check.
Individual selling to an individual can still sell a gun at a gunshow and call it in yourself (if you want to wait 3 hours on the phone, but individuals selling to individulas at a gunshow still cant use online background check at a gunshow like dealers can)  
So i quess if you wanted to sell a gun to your best buddy per this worthless law but didn't want to pay the dealer what ever fee they decide to charge, then you and your buddy could just go to a gunshow and you can call in the background check yourself.  Many gun shows I have been to  usually have all the forms avaiable for individuals there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:21:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Isn't there more to this also, like a bunch of other qualifiers to prohibit you from owning firearms?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:00:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Isn't there more to this also, like a bunch of other qualifiers to prohibit you from owning firearms?
View Quote

Didn't really change those laws other than adding verbage refering to this law in them.
There was some wording adding about the courts can have someone added to the "can't buy" list if they are being menatlly treated or have been violent etc.
Courts basically could already do this so probable just makes it easier for them which we all know will always be used the right way and "never" used the wrong way.

It really only makes it harder for law abiding folks to still be law abiding folks.  did nothing to increase punishment for murder or other violent crimes.
Just another BS way of slowing taking away rights.

If the intent of the law was ever to actually try to keep guns out of criminal's hands then that is how the law would have been written.
Should big time punish people buying guns when they know they are not allowed to, not punish the seller.
If they really want more people to do back ground check they should make it easier, not harder.  Give people the option to call in or online back ground check themselves instead of having to use a dealer.  I mean who doesn't have a smart phone these days.  
Nope, this law was written to make everything hard on the seller, punishes the seller, not the criminal, cost people more money by forcing to use dealers etc.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#15]
One of the things that bothers me most about this is the way it was passed.  This is the second time we've seen the Democrat majority pass a bill since the new governor was sworn in which claimed an "emergency" in order to severely restrict the input of us serfs.  If we don't get this emergency clause shit under control right fucking now, we won't get a fucking say in anything ever again.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One of the things that bothers me most about this is the way it was passed.  This is the second time we've seen the Democrat majority pass a bill since the new governor was sworn in which claimed an "emergency" in order to severely restrict the input of us serfs.  If we don't get this emergency clause shit under control right fucking now, we won't get a fucking say in anything ever again.
View Quote

+1000

The whole emergency clause BS should be restricted to...well...emergencies.

90 day clock is ticking.

I suppose now is the time to sell some stuff.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't think the 90 days apply here. Due to the emergency clause it becomes law the moment the weasel faced feminazi in the governors office signs it.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#18]
FFLs should start charging $1000 for each of these background checks.  Gun owners would be marching on Salem shortly to deal with the legislators that foisted this on them.

And wait until some innocent dad gets cought up by technicalities of this law, and winds up going to jail for misdeameanor or felony.   We obviously don't have enough laws to go around, what laws are you unknowingly breaking today?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#19]
What the actual foxtrot....

we need to express to the Governor that he will be pulled from office with a shepherds rod should he even think about passing this.

we also need our Local LEOs to express there opposition of this bill, and that they will not enforce it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry to see this.

I feel your pain.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

we need to express to the Governor that he will be pulled from office with a shepherds rod should he even think about passing this.

we also need our Local LEOs to express there opposition of this bill, and that they will not enforce it.
View Quote

She. Our Governor is a woman.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's shocking that we have the representation we do, seeing as how we have such an informed voting public, huh?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

It's shocking that we have the representation we do, seeing as how we have such an informed voting public, huh?
View Quote

Excuse me, I have a full time job, and I am also a full time college student, I also have a family and have been in the area only a few years.

no need to be condescending. geez.

ETA: Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm sad to see this happen in Oregon. Reminds me of when Colorado fell victim to UBC. Once a state goes Dem, its Dem forever. The UBC is the new type of attack for the Anti's, they know the Assault Weapons & mag limit jazz doesn't work well anymore. To the average person, UBC seems like "common sense".
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I heard today (strictly second hand info, mind you) that the Douglas county sheriff will not enforce this law.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Fuck the politicians and their liberal ideologies and fuck this law.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I heard today (strictly second hand info, mind you) that the Douglas county sheriff will not enforce this law.
View Quote

Does it matter that a local Sheriff won't enforce it? Take for example the guy that buys a firearm after the new law is in effect. He then sells it to someone not exempt under the new law. The buyer then sells the firearm following the new law. Now there is a paper trail with a missing link at the State Police office.

What do you all suppose this will do to the used firearms market? I think it will reduce the good finds at auctions, estates and online. It will also probably increase gun show sales as it will be a easier venue to bring the buyers and sellers together. I also suspect resale value of modern firearms will fall as a new firearms will be relatively easier and have less fees to buy. I haven't been following what happened to the market in Washington, anyone notice any changes since their law went into effect?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:27:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Does it matter that a local Sheriff won't enforce it? Take for example the guy that buys a firearm after the new law is in effect. He then sells it to someone not exempt under the new law. The buyer then sells the firearm following the new law. Now there is a paper trail with a missing link at the State Police office.

What do you all suppose this will do to the used firearms market? I think it will reduce the good finds at auctions, estates and online. It will also probably increase gun show sales as it will be a easier venue to bring the buyers and sellers together. I also suspect resale value of modern firearms will fall as a new firearms will be relatively easier and have less fees to buy. I haven't been following what happened to the market in Washington, anyone notice any changes since their law went into effect?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on what I've seen at the buy & sell sections of WA forums I'm on, a lot of people have given up trying to buy & sell used firearms since 594 passed. There is still activity but it seems to be with those who trading seems to be a hobby.

Some FFLs are offering free FTF transfers on weekends, etc. but it seems to be few and far between. This is a huge part of the burden - some people have to travel a pretty significant distance to find a FFL that even wants to do the FTF stuff at all.

I think a lot of people are now keeping it hush-hush and doing it on the DL, so if the state's goal was to grow a new black market and create a new group of "criminals," congratulations to them.

Let's be honest, if you know the person you're selling to, and you bought the firearm before this law was passed, it's basically unenforceable.  But from here on out every firearm sold or transferred in OR is essentially registered. There is now a paper trail following it, and if you choose to absolve yourself from being a part of that paper trail should the gun show up in a crime without being reported stolen, someone will probably want to ask you a few questions, and it all goes downhill from there.

Those that suspect formal registration is coming up next are probably correct. There is just no way the law can be enforced on preexisting firearms. In WA and OR that has to humber in the high multiple millions. If they are serious about enforcing the law, at some point they will have to "realize" this and demand full state registration of firearms, no grandfathering.

Last but not least, I was considering selling several firearms before this all went down in WA. Instead, I kept them, and bought more new ones. I know for a fact I'm not the only one who did so. So the net effect for many is probably the addition of more guns to residents' safes overall. Good job again, grabbers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:56:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I have to say that SB 941 is one hell of a lot less Orwellian than WA's I-594.  Just shooting a friend's gun in the WA woods is a crime now unless you get a bkgd check.  If I want to ship a gun from WA via UPS or FedEx the shipping company employee is required to obtain a bkgd check.  This part of the new WA law is universally ignored as I've written to both companies and have been told they are not going to obtain bkgd checks for their employees each time they ship a gun belonging to an unlicensed owner..

SB 941 sucks a whole hell of a lot less than WA's I-594.

Randy
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#31]
After the law can i purchase a gun on like armslist from a private person have it shipped to an ffl and recieve it.

Because it seems private to private has to be in person.  Did i miss reas the law?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
After the law can i purchase a gun on like armslist from a private person have it shipped to an ffl and recieve it.

Because it seems private to private has to be in person.  Did i miss reas the law?
View Quote

Yes, they can ship it to an FFL. Or you can meet at an FFL.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not so sure that is the case. The couple of times I read the potential new law, I took it as if you live within 40 miles you have to go to the FFL together. Interpreting laws created by people with no common sense is impossible.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:21:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I don't get. What "emergency" was this?  Who decides what an emergency is?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:32:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Excuse me, I have a full time job, and I am also a full time college student, I also have a family and have been in the area only a few years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you saying you were too busy to vote or just too busy to keep up on Oregon politics?  

Not trying to pick on you but the reason why we are all eating this shit sandwich right now is because of all the gun owners that are "too busy".  Just imagine if everyone expected others to fight for their right to KBA.  Voting takes 10-15 minutes out of your life and if you sign up for email alerts from OFF you'll be in the loop with everything going on in Oregon related to guns and politics.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Not trying to pick on you but the reason why we are all eating this shit sandwich right now is because of all the gun owners that are "too busy".  Just imagine if everyone expected others to fight for their right to KBA.  Voting takes 10-15 minutes out of your life and if you sign up for email alerts from OFF you'll be in the loop with everything going on in Oregon related to guns and politics.  
View Quote

to be honest I didn't know our 2nd amendment rights were under active assault here in Oregon. I'm not too busy to vote, and I will be taking personal action from here forward. I'm going to find a way to contact the Governor and let her know, if she passes this bill I will drag every member of my family and friends to the pole to vote her out of office.

politics are infuriating and its nearly impossible to sift through the idiocy.
I'm just trying to fight for our freedoms here. - I apologize that I'm a bit late to the fight. but there is certainly still fighting to do.

What is the OFF and how do I sign up?

just for the record, it would be more beneficial to the cause to make it easy to bring people into the loop, that want to fight the good fight, instead of chastising them. especially younger people. because if we don't, the LEFT will!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

to be honest I didn't know our 2nd amendment rights were under active assault here in Oregon. I'm not too busy to vote, and I will be taking personal action from here forward. I'm going to find a way to contact the Governor and let her know, if she passes this bill I will drag every member of my family and friends to the pole to vote her out of office.

I'm just trying to fight for our freedoms here. - I apologize that I'm a bit late to the fight. but there is certainly still fighting to do.

just for the record, it would be more beneficial to the cause to make it easy to bring people into the loop, that want to fight the good fight, instead of chastising them. especially younger people. because if we don't, the LEFT will!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Okay, from your posts, I'm guessing you're either haven't lived in Oregon until recently or you don't vote.  

Oregon is a vote by mail state (unfortunately).  We don't go to the polls.  I guess you could drag your family to the kitchen table to vote, but as I said, we don't go to the polls here.  

Also worth noting is that our current governor was not voted in to office ever.  She is the replacement chosen by the Oregon Constitution when the recently re-elected John Kitzhaber resigned the office in disgrace back at the beginning of the year.  She will occupy that seat until the next general election, which is in November of 2016.  Until then we're stuck with her, I'm afraid.

OFF is the Oregon Firearms Federation.  Like a state level NRA, but in the opinion of many much more visibly active.  Their website is here.  To sign up for their alerts, go here or if you don't want to sign up and just want to read them when you can, go here.  If you're more comfortable with social media, they've got a Facebook page, probably a Twitter feed, too, but I don't care much for Twitter so you'll have to be left to your own devices on that one.  

Try not to get too butthurt over the responses on here.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Okay, from your posts, I'm guessing you're either haven't lived in Oregon until recently or you don't vote.  

Oregon is a vote by mail state (unfortunately).  We don't go to the polls.  I guess you could drag your family to the kitchen table to vote, but as I said, we don't go to the polls here.  

Also worth noting is that our current governor was not voted in to office ever.  She is the replacement chosen by the Oregon Constitution when the recently re-elected John Kitzhaber resigned the office in disgrace back at the beginning of the year.  She will occupy that seat until the next general election, which is in November of 2016.  Until then we're stuck with her, I'm afraid.

OFF is the Oregon Firearms Federation.  Like a state level NRA, but in the opinion of many much more visibly active.  Their website is here.  To sign up for their alerts, go here or if you don't want to sign up and just want to read them when you can, go here.  If you're more comfortable with social media, they've got a Facebook page, probably a Twitter feed, too, but I don't care much for Twitter so you'll have to be left to your own devices on that one.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying to run you off RB.  Oregon has serious problems.  The most obvious of which is a large amount of fucktard hipsters.  The other is a very apathetic and disengaged group of gun owners IMO.  Every year I fully expect the "Keep Oregon Weird" crowd to want to fuck us in the ass every chance they get.  I also fully expect my fellow gun owners to be involved in preventing it from happening.  

Whenever I hear someone bitching about pols going after gun owners I ask them if they voted or if they made a donation to OFF.  Honestly, I hear more excuses about why they didn't vote than I hear actual yes answers.  My response to them is those that don't defend the RKBA do not deserve it.

Edit:  RB. Better late than never. Glad to have you aboard.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:44:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is not meant to be a criticism in any way, but it's a (as best I can remember it) quote that is very apt.

"You may not take any interest in politics, but you can be certain that politics is taking an interest in you."

Think about that.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:18:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Has Kate Brown signed the bill into law yet?

.oregonfirearms.org is saying private sales are illegal but can't find anything about Brown signing the bill into law.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:16:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't sweat the small stuff... You were half right.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Has Kate Brown signed the bill into law yet?

.oregonfirearms.org is saying private sales are illegal but can't find anything about Brown signing the bill into law.
View Quote

I think she is singing Monday
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm bad at reading legalese. Does this mean FTF transfers have to be done through a gun store, or do you just have to call the background check hotline at OSP before selling a gun to another person?

Fuck me wait times either way. I got delayed on a firearm purchase and it took like four months for OSP to approve it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#44]

All private sales have to go to a dealer. Dealers in my area are refusing take part in SB941 BS
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Uppers are just parts, I see a niche..
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't get me wrong, I'm upset about this law but there was an OFF rep talking about how this single bill made thousands of criminals with a stroke of a pen.  How?  Is he referring to people who are not aware of the law?  Or people who have bought firearms FTF.  Because if it's the latter anything bought before the law is ex post facto.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Took effect when signed today.  It was after all an emergency.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Took effect when signed today.  It was after all an emergency.
View Quote

Just what was the "Emergency" again ? Tsunami?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, I'm upset about this law but there was an OFF rep talking about how this single bill made thousands of criminals with a stroke of a pen.  How?  Is he referring to people who are not aware of the law?  Or people who have bought firearms FTF.  Because if it's the latter anything bought before the law is ex post facto.
View Quote

Likely off is thinking if they find your gun in a crime and you cannot prove you sold it prior to sb941 they will just charge you with a   crime. Let you lawyer up. You will likely win but it will cost you
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#50]
If they find your gun in a crime...
How bad is gun crime up there?
common
random
2 miles away
Lots of good people though....yeah
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top