Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/21/2014 11:05:21 PM EDT
I've had some rough times in Oregon personally.  Financially I'm doing alright,  but this month has finally pushed me to seek an escape from this state.  
As soon as I'm finished selling the barrels of brass that I have,  I'm going home.  

After having worked in Detroit (the place in Michigan,  and I mean in city limits),  I didn't think things could ever be at the level of scumbaggery I'd dealt with.  But my 6 year tour has netted me some very rough times.

I was jumped and beaten unconscious by four people
I had a knife pulled in my face at a bar because the guy thought I was gay
I had a tweaker threaten to kill me while two inches from my face
A coworker told his entire department that I sexually assault women
My vehicles have been vandalized repeatedly (Washington County gives no fucks)
Somebody tried gaining entry into my house in the middle of the night...  Was confronted by an old roomie that did not happen to have a gun at the time.  
I've been frisked by the police at least 9 times now
My best friend was prosecuted by an overzealous DA.  He was drunk and at the scene of a crime that two other people committed.  He starts his prison sentence on Friday.

In addition to many other small events that equally push me away,  tonight was the final straw.  After having my tires slashed yet again this weekend (For the third fucking time),  Washington County towed it away after putting a 24-hour sticker on it that I didn't even see until 19 hours later because I work nights.  I replaced two of the slashed tires, but didn't notice the third one was also flat.  The deputy pretty much gave me the finger.  

I'm fed up of living here.  I'll take my chances back in Detroit.  This was supposed to be my favorite part of the year too...

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Have you considered moving to another town?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Have you considered moving to another town?
View Quote

I was trying to buy a house in Hillsboro,  but that fell through on several occasions.  Same with a few houses in Forest Grove.  

My brother is a realtor back home and found me a nice house with a three car garage for $40k.  Used to be a rough area,  but it's smoothed out since they tore down some projects.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow! Sorry to hear that. I agree with moving to a new town. I would suggest southern or eastern oregon. I can't stand it up in that Portland area.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know what to say man, but I've lived here almost my whole life and have never had any of that stuff happen to me.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#5]
You seem to be consistently in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A change of venue seems prudent.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:05:13 AM EDT
[#6]
You have someone in your neighborhood that has a strong dislike for you. Thus, the vandalizing and slashed tires. A move to a different town should solve that. The rest, no answers. For whatever reason it seems that trouble is attracted to you. From reading some of your posts the last couple years you seem to be a good guy. Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:50:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn bro, sorry to hear about all the crap dumped on you.  I know you've had some bad run ins with the cops out here, so I understand the discontent, but I've met you while wearing the uniform and you were a nice guy!  Sorry to hear about the bad dealings with WCSO.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Damn bro, sorry to hear about all the crap dumped on you.  I know you've had some bad run ins with the cops out here, so I understand the discontent, but I've met you while wearing the uniform and you were a nice guy!  Sorry to hear about the bad dealings with WCSO.
View Quote

That's not to say all guys in uniform are bad.  I've met a few of the guys at WSCO that were cool, quality fellows.
The last guys at my house were pretty awesome once we showed them security cam footage, had a good laugh and talked about guns.

With that said, I used to be a total scumbag in Detroit and never had a cop give me the time of day.

I've met several of the arfcom cops and they have all been great!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#9]
That sucks.  I have lived here going on 30yrs and have only had a few minor issues with vandalism/theft/threats.  I think its really about where you live and where you go.  I know Coctailer who posts on here moved to MI and comes back a couple times per month to do business here.  He says its far cheaper.  I think he got a pretty nice house well away from Detroit for practically nothing.  Its not a bad move IMO.  Especially if you have work over there.  Frankly I wish I could buy up a bunch of property in Detroit or some of the other rundown areas in the rust belt.  Prices are really good and there are some seriously cool old houses there.  But I am stuck here scraping by.  Such is life.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I've also had a tough time in Oregon in the last few years.  Moved several times to chase work only to get laid off or have the company shut down.  Those of you that remember Sony and Hyundai know what I'm talking about.
Wages have dropped for my field from $15hr to minimum wage in less than five years.
It got to the point where I couldn't get arrested in Salem.  Had to resort to cab driving to eke out a living.  I just barely got by every month.

Moved out of Oregon and I was working two weeks after I arrived.
Oregon has a lot of positives, but the economy isn't one of them.
I'm a native Oregonian.  It saddens me to see what Oregon has become.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#11]
it isn't oregon, it's the metro area.

good luck in detroit.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't know what to say man, but I've lived here almost my whole life and have never had any of that stuff happen to me.

View Quote

Same here. Sorry to see you go. Glad we got to meet but its a shame you wont be around. Good luck and please come back and keep us posted.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I miss Detroit also, but after having gone back in December I can't move back.   Sorry that sucks in ice!    Have you thought about Clackamas county?   Where to in Detroit ?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I miss Detroit also, but after having gone back in December I can't move back.   Sorry that sucks in ice!    Have you thought about Clackamas county?   Where to in Detroit ?
View Quote

Redford or Ypsi. Both fit me well. Ypsi has bigger garages though.

I visit every year, but that last time really made me miss it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#15]
The old saying "choose your friends wisely" comes to mind. Consider this, if you have a lot of bad things happening to you, you might look at yourself to see what you can change. I hope that moving back to Detroit provides you with everything you need to achieve success, peace and happiness. God bless, good luck and best wishes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The old saying "choose your friends wisely" comes to mind. Consider this, if you have a lot of bad things happening to you, you might look at yourself to see what you can change. I hope that moving back to Detroit provides you with everything you need to achieve success, peace and happiness. God bless, good luck and best wishes.
View Quote

Since '93, I've lived in a large apartment in Clackamas for a couple years, then a little house in West Linn (old and decidedly low class part) and for the past 11 years in Oregon City. During that 21 year span, I've had my unlocked car jockey boxed twice and had a mini air compressor stolen off my back patio. I've been pulled over 3 or 4 times and gotten one ticket, and none of that has happened within the past 9 years.

Some people are shit magnets, but location plays a huge part, as well as a lot of little factors, and just plain dumb luck. It's usually a combination of things too. I'm very sorry to hear of your experiences Moldy. I've lived in Oregon since '75 and sadly, I can't wait until I can leave, although it will probably be another 10 years until that time.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Since '93, I've lived in a large apartment in Clackamas for a couple years, then a little house in West Linn (old and decidedly low class part) and for the past 11 years in Oregon City. During that 21 year span, I've had my unlocked car jockey boxed twice and had a mini air compressor stolen off my back patio. I've been pulled over 3 or 4 times and gotten one ticket, and none of that has happened within the past 9 years.

Some people are shit magnets, but location plays a huge part, as well as a lot of little factors, and just plain dumb luck. It's usually a combination of things too. I'm very sorry to hear of your experiences Moldy. I've lived in Oregon since '75 and sadly, I can't wait until I can leave, although it will probably be another 10 years until that time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could very well be my location.  Aloha is quite a heroin/meth haven.  My block in particular used to be notorious with the local police.  Strangely enough though, the more they tried cleaning up the place I live in, the worse things got.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I jump in here now and then to read the locals thoughts
I've read posts from most everyone
I chime in now and then unwelcomed
Nobody lives where I'm going but I sure as heck expect it to better than your story, and I feel bad for you it went how it did, but..
It seems to me you just traded one big city for another.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I am sorry to see you leave. I think that the Portland metro area is the problem. Best of luck!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn it now I'm never gonna score on the employee optic sale
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:02:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm fed up of living here.  I'll take my chances back in Detroit...

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like Grand Rapids. I'll buy ya a beer if you are ever in Hastings.
View Quote

It is possible. I used to meet up in Grand Rapids for the hearse shows, and my brother's girlfriend is from there.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd change the title to something other than "Oregon". Having lived here since the age of 3 (1965) I've seen much of the metro area. I could take you through areas of Clackamas/Multnomah/Washington counties and show the good and the bad. Every state has them.

Personally, I really try to avoid the bad.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't take this the wrong way but I think 99% of your problems would go away if you moved out of Aloha and changed the crowd you hang out with. I've found that trouble doesn't follow people, people attract it. There's a lot of great areas and people around here, but Aloha doesn't have much of either.
Either way, good luck
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I too am planning my escape, but to a more southern and warmer state.
I grew up here and have always lived here and I am so done with it.. I want
to make 9.5 % because of no state income tax..
The bike nazis can stay and rot and mold in this "paradise" they created...
I am done with it....
Fuck you Democrips for ruining a great place to live.
Fuck you bike nazis for making everyone else pay for your BS.
Rant off
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I too am planning my escape, but to a more southern and warmer state.
I grew up here and have always lived here and I am so done with it.. I want
to make 9.5 % because of no state income tax..
The bike nazis can stay and rot and mold in this "paradise" they created...
I am done with it....
Fuck you Democrips for ruining a great place to live.
Fuck you bike nazis for making everyone else pay for your BS.
Rant off
View Quote

For us old timers...this man had vision and saw the what the liberal encroachment would do

Thomas Lawson McCall, Governor of Oregon from 1967-1975, was Oregon's thirtieth governor.

“We want you to visit our State of Excitement often. Come again and again. But for heaven’s sake, don’t move here to live. Or if you do have to move in to live, don’t tell any of your neighbors where you are going.” (1971)

Details...
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Fuck that...that sounds awful. But that's not OR, that's the liberal hellhole that needs to be nuked flat.

Around here we leave our vehicle running and unlocked when we head into the hardware stores if it'll be less than 10 minutes. I can guarantee if you moved to a smaller city in eastern oregon that your experience will be the complete opposite. I really wish we could split OR and give the west side to CA so they can all be safe and have their gun rights just where they like them. In the hands of the government.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:04:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fuck that...that sounds awful. But that's not OR, that's the liberal hellhole that needs to be nuked flat.

Around here we leave our vehicle running and unlocked when we head into the hardware stores if it'll be less than 10 minutes. I can guarantee if you moved to a smaller city in eastern oregon that your experience will be the complete opposite. I really wish we could split OR and give the west side to CA so they can all be safe and have their gun rights just where they like them. In the hands of the government.
View Quote

I think you mean Portland.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know you and you sound like a decent enough guy but I've lived in Aloha all my 33 years and have never had the string of bad things happen that you have.  Never get hassled by the cops, rarely ever had any issues with theft/vandalism.  Now Aloha is definitely more run down now than it was 20 years ago but you might want to take a look at who you are associating with and what situations you are putting yourself in that these things keep happening to you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I never heard of Aloha Oregon, shit man...
That's not close enough to Portland to be covered by the umbrella of weirdness. Pink hair and a hearse? You moved too far out in the sticks, ((((Portlandia))))....thats where it's happening. ..
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:45:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's not close enough to Portland to be covered by the umbrella of weirdness. Pink hair and a hearse? You moved too far out in the sticks, ((((Portlandia))))....thats where it's happening. ..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Strangely enough,  the Portlandia types aren't very accepting of me.  
They are into a certain brand of weird and mine isn't what's in.  The only thing I have in common with those people is that I brew my own beer.

Quoted:
I don't know you and you sound like a decent enough guy but I've lived in Aloha all my 33 years and have never had the string of bad things happen that you have.  Never get hassled by the cops, rarely ever had any issues with theft/vandalism.  Now Aloha is definitely more run down now than it was 20 years ago but you might want to take a look at who you are associating with and what situations you are putting yourself in that these things keep happening to you.

Sometimes having bright neon hair is all it takes.  Bright electric blue beard and purple hair?  Neon yellow with an orange beard?  

Personally, I'm not going to stop coloring my hair until it impedes my possibility to advance in my job.  I make decent money,  and many of you know where I work (which is considered a respectable joint by most),  so as long as the pay raises kept coming,  I had no incentive to change my appearance.  

The hearse...  That's a whole separate ball of wax.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm all about altering your appearance to suit your taste (see my screen name). I don't think that has anything to do with your trouble.  I've found with a little foresight you can avoid most bad situations. But hey, maybe Oregon isn't the place for you. Maybe you'll have a better experience back in Michigan. Some places just suit people better.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:24:47 AM EDT
[#34]
im out that way, if you want to grab a beer sometime, let me know
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:02:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm all about altering your appearance to suit your taste (see my screen name). I don't think that has anything to do with your trouble.  I've found with a little foresight you can avoid most bad situations. But hey, maybe Oregon isn't the place for you. Maybe you'll have a better experience back in Michigan. Some places just suit people better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In my list of issues that I've had,  my hair color was the cause of a drunk pulling a knife on me.  It was also the cited reason for one of my frisks.  

Quoted:

The people that I associate with are the only reason I didn't wake up in a hospital when I was beaten.  I have laughable stupid fun with my friends,  not bad times.  I was alone in all negative involvements with the police except for one.  

The vandalism part has only gotten worse since the block was rid of all gang affiliates.  Oddly enough,  it was a very enjoyable place to live when three of the townhouses were occupied by members of different gangs.  It's as if they didn't want to bring trouble to their front door.  

But seriously though,  this part of Aloha is a dump.  I can't walk to the grocery store without seeing at least one drug addict.

Quoted:
im out that way, if you want to grab a beer sometime, let me know

Sounds good.  Perhaps next week some time.  (My lady friend is spending the weekend with me.   )
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Well if you make it over the the right side (East Side ) of Michigan , go have Telways for me.  11 mile and John R.   Have you thought about just moving to Clackamas county?    We are a nicer sort of dritbags over here, besides... I hear them  Washington County cops are super meaners....

What ever you decide, good luck, you seem like a heck of a good person.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:36:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well if you make it over the the right side (East Side ) of Michigan , go have Telways for me.  11 mile and John R.   Have you thought about just moving to Clackamas county?    We are a nicer sort of dritbags over here, besides... I hear them  Washington County cops are super meaners....

What ever you decide, good luck, you seem like a heck of a good person.
View Quote

I make it close to there every time I'm home. My tattoo artist is at 9 mile and Woodward.
Real lively part of town now. That area is booming.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Shitty.  Hope things turn around man.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow!  Where in Aloha (generally) do you live?  Like LunchBox, we've been here for 20+ years and have never had any of those problems either.  I'll make a note to stay out of your 'hood!  

TriumphRider

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wow!  Where in Aloha (generally) do you live?  Like LunchBox, we've been here for 20+ years and have never had any of those problems either.  I'll make a note to stay out of your 'hood!  

TriumphRider

View Quote

Yeah he is in one of the shittier areas of Aloha, deffinetely not our worse patrol area, but up there. Think all the crappy HUD/low income apartments near the Albertsons on 185/Farm.  I too live in Aloha, grew up there, went to school there, but I'm in a nicer area.

I guarantee though Modly, yer getting stopped and frisked because of the type of foot traffic in that area. Think about all the dopers you see walking around, yer just unfortunately getting grouped in with them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#42]
I gotta agree that most of your problems are related to the area where you live.  Find a different neighborhood..   I lived in Oregon for decades and never had those sorts of problems.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#43]
The first thing you need to do is step back and take a deep look at yourself and the situations you are in. Of what you posted, I could see 1 or 2 things being "random" but that list says to me a lot about lifestyle and the people you hang out with.

Something isn't adding up
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 5:31:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The first thing you need to do is step back and take a deep look at yourself and the situations you are in. Of what you posted, I could see 1 or 2 things being "random" but that list says to me a lot about lifestyle and the people you hang out with.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Since everybody seems to think I have a lifestyle problem,  tell me what exactly that you think I'm doing wrong... Other than living in a crappy hood?  

Unfortunately everything has gone up in price in Oregon in the last two years,  and that's only in the wrong direction from the over inflated metro-Portland pricing that has existed for two decades.  If you can find me another place as cheap as the place that I'm renting now that doesn't get lost with the price of fuel to drive to work in Beaverton,  I'd be glad to hear about it.  I had been looking in the duration while I was looking for a house to purchase (which has become another untouchable market unless you have 100% cash or want to get into an HOA),  and I can't touch another rental within 20 miles for less than 40% more than I currently pay.  I refuse to do apartments.  

SMPrider is probably correct.  I live in a drug central area.  I walk past two infestations just to go to the grocery store.  Unfortunately because I'm not clean cut,  cops get curious once in a while.  I just wish they would make a better excuse than "You match a description" when I'm sporting some bright neon hair.  I'm not buying that bit.  This part of Aloha has always been an eyesore as long as my friends have known it,  but most of them have nested here permanently.  

So despite how awesome Oregon has been for most of you,  the housing back home is 1/10th the price, the crime index isn't much higher and the job market is offering me several opportunities that pay 10% more than I make now.  Top on that we don't have the faux-rednecks all over the place...
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

umm yea....OP sounds like he lives an interesting lifestyle.....
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Since everybody seems to think I have a lifestyle problem,  tell me what exactly that you think I'm doing wrong... Other than living in a crappy hood?  

Unfortunately everything has gone up in price in Oregon in the last two years,  and that's only in the wrong direction from the over inflated metro-Portland pricing that has existed for two decades.  If you can find me another place as cheap as the place that I'm renting now that doesn't get lost with the price of fuel to drive to work in Beaverton,  I'd be glad to hear about it.  I had been looking in the duration while I was looking for a house to purchase (which has become another untouchable market unless you have 100% cash or want to get into an HOA),  and I can't touch another rental within 20 miles for less than 40% more than I currently pay.  I refuse to do apartments.  

SMPrider is probably correct.  I live in a drug central area.  I walk past two infestations just to go to the grocery store.  Unfortunately because I'm not clean cut,  cops get curious once in a while.  I just wish they would make a better excuse than "You match a description" when I'm sporting some bright neon hair.  I'm not buying that bit.  This part of Aloha has always been an eyesore as long as my friends have known it,  but most of them have nested here permanently.  

So despite how awesome Oregon has been for most of you,  the housing back home is 1/10th the price, the crime index isn't much higher and the job market is offering me several opportunities that pay 10% more than I make now.  Top on that we don't have the faux-rednecks all over the place...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I prefer "urban redneck"...

Honestly, if you could see fit to just move a few blocks over (sounds like you're in a crappy part of Aloha), you'd probably avoid much of this.

I don't know what it's like to go around the cruddy areas while sporting neon hair and tatoos (I'm just a normal looking guy), but I can say that in nearly 20 years of living in the Hillsboro area, I've never run into any of this that you mention.   The events you've run into suck, but I wonder how many could have been avoided by simply choosing different locations to frequent?

Not trying to be rude, mind you, just noting that if you go around a known drug-haven looking like that, and frequent the same places the lowlife thugs hang out... you'll find trouble whether you're looking for it or not.  Sad fact of life.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top