Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 5:02:00 AM EDT
I have family in eastern Oregon and make 1 or 2 trips over there a year. For 20 + years I would stop at Arlington and get a bite to eat and maybe a milkshake for myself and whoever was with me, my parents or wife & kids. Made for a nice break at the 2/3rds mark of the way over and now just 1 more hr to go. No need to name the inn/restaurant. You guys over on the east side of the Cascades know the place. About the only place in town to eat, I think. We'll just call it "the inn behind the gas station". In years past was a decent place but has really gone downhill. Last spring was there and almost turned and left. Dirty as hell, rundown and a lady customer was bitching the cook out about the gross bathrooms.
Heading over next weekend for pheasant opener and will feel strange and kinda sad not stopping there anymore. Guess will be McDonalds in The Dalles? Somewhere in Boardman?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Charburger Country in Hood River. Monster burgers and onion rings to die for. Fun old school decor too. Love the place....enough that I'm glad I don't live near it or my waistline / kidney stones would be killin' me!  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe a new diner has opened up in Arlington recently. When you take exit 137 eastbound from I-84, it's on the right just past the Shell station opposite the diner that closed down. I haven't eaten there, but it might be worth a look.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#3]
The place at the Shell Station in Biggs Junction has been good the last few times I was there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:50:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Hello I know the place...It was closed this spring when I was there last...But ask not what Arlington can do for you But what you can do for them....The county has like 1700 in the whole county.. Someone will correct me..Gilman County...It is Pro Gun  They have a public shooting range open to anyone and it is nice... Wood Stove. 3 sided building.. Clean ,Safe ,Garbage cans.. They Rock... Pic to follow.. Nice custom shooting benches..Open all year, FREE  .., Thank You for supporting the small town for the last 20 years..They still need the help...There is a new Deli across the street and they would Love your business ..Then go take the time to go into the Ace Hardware store across the street  there they have a FFL and will do transfers and stock Firearms..Live Long Vonslingo
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#5]
C&D in Boardman is awesome. Great food and great milkshakes. I'm also a big fan of their grilled cheese. It's on the north side of the freeway just a couple hundred yards up on the right.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
C&D in Boardman is awesome. Great food and great milkshakes. I'm also a big fan of their grilled cheese. It's on the north side of the freeway just a couple hundred yards up on the right.
View Quote

+1

Damn. Now that I think of it, I can't come up with anything else on 84 between Hood River and C & D in Boardman. No wonder I always kill my emergency stash of jerky on that stretch.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#7]
You sold me mentioning grilled cheese as that is what I always got at the grill in Arlington. And a milkshake to go with it.
Nowadays, with the boys riding along(4 & 6 yo) we stop at the Safeway in Hood River 1st and get them a snack of some kind. They have a decent deli counter with Chinese food also. From there it was to Arlington and then on to Pendleton. Dad always liked to eat at Cousins(I think that's the name) in The Dalles but that is more of a sit-down place and I preferred just to grab something and go. May stop at McDonalds in The Dalles then hit the C&D in Boardman. I might stop in Arlington on the way back and check out the new diner/deli. Thanks for the responses and tips.
I can go about 2 hrs sitting in a vehicle then have to get out and walk around some. Every hr is even better. The boys get bored also and need a distraction from staring out the window. Not a hell of a lot to see after Hood River. A lot of brown.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Heading over next weekend for pheasant opener and will feel strange and kinda sad not stopping there anymore. Guess will be McDonalds in The Dalles?
View Quote

I avoid Micky-D's in The Dalles or anywhere else...  

A far better choice would be to take a turn in the opposite direction at exit 87 and go to a much better burger place...

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Big Jims in The Dalles or C&D in Boardman. You can't go wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#10]
If your gonna spend big Jim's money on a burger in the Dalles you should go to Baldwins. They have a better burger and you feel better about paying that much for it there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#11]
We usually stop at Burgerville in the Dalles.  I'll have to check out these other places next time through.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top