Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2014 4:25:42 PM EDT
Bear is been open for a few weeks now, grouse opens the 1st.  I know elk and deer can't be too far behind.  

How is everyone's season shaping up?

Grouse isn't in yet but I have done some scouting the numbers close to me don't seem to be very good but have found a few places that have so really good numbers.  Still have yet to see a sooty/blue grouse.  

Have not come across a single sign of bear whatsoever.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm still confused as to why upland bird doesn't start on the 30th of August with Archery for deer and elk.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm still confused as to why upland bird doesn't start on the 30th of August with Archery for deer and elk.
View Quote

My guess is so that everyone isn't in the woods all at once.

You get dogs and hunter pushing birds that will inevitably bump deer and elk by accident.  That is pretty stressful on a herd.  Plus that has the potential for lots of hunters to bump into each other.  Starting grouse season two days later on a weekday probably alleviates some of this.  

I'm just guessing.  

The reason could always be "cause we said so"
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to say its your last reason.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
From a biological perspective forest grouse would be better hunted at the beginning of AUG and ending the season in Jan or even Dec instead of Feb.  Generally speaking.  The broods are mature come AUG and the mornings are cool at elevation where most grouse are found.  AK's grouse and ptarmigan season opens Aug for much of the state and goes through Mar/APR.  

The key to healthy grouse populations is proper forest management, which I am surprisingly impressed with here in OR.   Predation has a very small impact on grouse when they are not concentrated.   Quail are similar to grouse in this respect.

Now for pheasant, they tend to need a later start.  Birds don't really mature until late Sept even early Oct. They tend to be more susceptible to predation as well.  Especially in areas where cover isn't as expansive.  They tend to group back up as well fairly quickly, which leads to higher kill rates.

I couldn't tell you the life cycle of huns or chukar.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:56:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Hunting the Pine Creek unit for buck deer. We're hoping to fold in a day or two of grouse hunting, which can be pretty abundant in the areas we hunt. Nothing beats a good grouse hunt. Nothing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:34:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hunting the Pine Creek unit for buck deer. We're hoping to fold in a day or two of grouse hunting, which can be pretty abundant in the areas we hunt. Nothing beats a good grouse hunt. Nothing.
View Quote

Couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:03:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Just went out to the Tillamook State Forest today to do some target shooting and almost ran over a mess of Quail.  They looked like California Quail as they I thought I saw the little feather on their heads, but I  didn't get too good of a look as I was going at a pretty decent rate of speed and was trying to avoid potholes  But they were quail.  Didn't see any grouse, but I was there from 11-1 so its not really prime grouse times.  I think I am going to go get a license and an upland validation tomorrow.  Would love to get some quail and grouse to feed the family.  I dig organic meats

But a few years back I came into a big freaking blue grouse.  It flushed from some ferns about 30ft infront of me. I would have had a shot if it hadn't flown right over my wife who was with me.  Aside from a couple big ones I saw in Canada, that was one of the biggest grouse I have ever seen.   I was so disappointed I wasn't able to get a shot off.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just went out to the Tillamook State Forest today to do some target shooting and almost ran over a mess of Quail.  They looked like California Quail as they I thought I saw the little feather on their heads, but I  didn't get too good of a look as I was going at a pretty decent rate of speed and was trying to avoid potholes  But they were quail.  Didn't see any grouse, but I was there from 11-1 so its not really prime grouse times.  I think I am going to go get a license and an upland validation tomorrow.  Would love to get some quail and grouse to feed the family.  I dig organic meats

But a few years back I came into a big freaking blue grouse.  It flushed from some ferns about 30ft infront of me. I would have had a shot if it hadn't flown right over my wife who was with me.  Aside from a couple big ones I saw in Canada, that was one of the biggest grouse I have ever seen.   I was so disappointed I wasn't able to get a shot off.
View Quote

I honestly don't know how a person would hunt most of Tillamook.  Any place that is flat enough to walk is a road or ATV trail.  That is some thick country.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a lot of clear cuts, old roads and roads people rarely drive on.  Just gotta know where to go.  I have flushed quite a few grouse.  But only ever shot at a few as they were usually not in season at the time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There are a lot of clear cuts, old roads and roads people rarely drive on.  Just gotta know where to go.  I have flushed quite a few grouse.  But only ever shot at a few as they were usually not in season at the time.
View Quote

I've got two bird dogs if you ever want to go out hunting them.  I would love a place that is closer to home to hunt.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've got two bird dogs if you ever want to go out hunting them.  I would love a place that is closer to home to hunt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might take you up on that.  Only thing is that I usually go midweek.  I am not a fan of being in the woods out there on the weekends and with the kids in school and being my own boss (for now) it works out pretty well.  Too much idiocy at times on the weekends, especially during deer centerfire season.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I might take you up on that.  Only thing is that I usually go midweek.  I am not a fan of being in the woods out there on the weekends and with the kids in school and being my own boss (for now) it works out pretty well.  Too much idiocy at times on the weekends, especially during deer centerfire season.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My work scheduled is good to go middle if the week hunts.  Just let me know when you want to go.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Upland bird always starts on the 1st of September for Quail, dove and grouse. We get September goose on the 6th for one week and then general waterfowl in October. I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got my license and upland validation.  Just need to find time to go now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top