Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2014 6:14:12 AM EDT
If anyone has a kid or two that is interested in participating in the special youth stocked pheasant hunts in September, I believe quail will be open for youth as well but not stocked.  I have a pair of GSP's that they are welcome to hunt behind.  I ask that mom or dad accompany their child in the field and the children are very safety consious and can take the dogs safety into account.  That goes a little past normal gun safety, it can be difficult for hunters of all ages to pass on shots that could endanger the dogs.  

It anyone is interested let me know.  I can't promise world class dog work but my dogs find birds and it's always fun to introduce youth to wing shooting.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool. Id love to take my nephew but he doesnt get to shoot with me enough to go yet. He's 9 and I have him all next week so Im hoping to get out and let him shoot some more.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool. Id love to take my nephew but he doesnt get to shoot with me enough to go yet. He's 9 and I have him all next week so Im hoping to get out and let him shoot some more.
View Quote

If you can get him shooting a couple clays and feel he is safe enough I have seen more than a couple 9 year olds mature enough to hunt behind dogs.  The biggest thing is the ability to take a safe shot with keeping the dogs in mind.  

Stocked pheasants have a tendency to fly low and slow.  Unfortunately that can lead to a situation where the dog jumps after the bird and a person shooting has the chance of hitting the dog.  I prefer that hunters be able to wait and shoot when the bird is 5-6 feet in the air.  That can be easier said than done in the excitement of the flush.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you can get him shooting a couple clays and feel he is safe enough I have seen more than a couple 9 year olds mature enough to hunt behind dogs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can get him shooting a couple clays and feel he is safe enough I have seen more than a couple 9 year olds mature enough to hunt behind dogs.

Ill test him out with the neighbors dog. They dont have as much work into em as mine.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ill test him out with the neighbors dog. They dont have as much work into em as mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a little 20ga 686 he is welcome to borrow if he needs a shotgun.  I'm a shorter guy and it fits me like a glove.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I got him a really small .22/410 break action that he started with. I'm keeping it when he is big enough for me to buy him a real shotgun. Those .410s are awesome.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got him a really small .22/410 break action that he started with. I'm keeping it when he is big enough for me to buy him a real shotgun. Those .410s are awesome.
View Quote

That sounds like a fun time.  Can't ask for a better starter gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#7]
screw the kids.  I need to get off my butt and go pheasant and quail hunting.  Been wanting to, and occasionally go for walks in the woods for grouse and quail.  But never with a dog or anything.  Would love to get my kids into it but we have a couple 2-4 more years before the oldest will be ready for hunting.  I doubt my youngest would though.  I don't think he has it in him to kill and animal.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
screw the kids.  I need to get off my butt and go pheasant and quail hunting.  Been wanting to, and occasionally go for walks in the woods for grouse and quail.  But never with a dog or anything.  Would love to get my kids into it but we have a couple 2-4 more years before the oldest will be ready for hunting.  I doubt my youngest would though.  I don't think he has it in him to kill and animal.
View Quote

I've got an open invite for anyone that is safe to hunt behind my dogs once season opens.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've got an open invite for anyone that is safe to hunt behind my dogs once season opens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

depending on what my employment situation is, I might be able to get out once or twice.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never done any bird hunting but I've always wanted to try. Where would it be and when?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've never done any bird hunting but I've always wanted to try. Where would it be and when?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sept 1 starts grouse season, pheasant a month or so later, then chukar out east but I won't hunt those until a couple of hard freezes because of the rattle snakes with my dogs.  Grouse season lasts through Feb I believe.

I will be hunting everywhere in the state but for grouse I will be hunting the  north west coastal region to around the salem area on the east side.

You are plenty welcome to come along.  This is my first year hunting Oregon, so a bit of a learning curve for me in this state.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:08:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sept 1 starts grouse season, pheasant a month or so later, then chukar out east but I won't hunt those until a couple of hard freezes because of the rattle snakes with my dogs.  Grouse season lasts through Feb I believe.

I will be hunting everywhere in the state but for grouse I will be hunting the  north west coastal region to around the salem area on the east side.

You are plenty welcome to come along.  This is my first year hunting Oregon, so a bit of a learning curve for me in this state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm may have to take you up on that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep, just shot me a PM.  My schedule is pretty open this fall.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Alright I'll do that cause I'm going to have about a billion questions
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:28:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got plenty of gear if you need to borrow any but if you have a thick pair of pants, some good walking boots, an orange vest, and a shotgun you are pretty much set..  

I know some EBR guys don't have a shotgun set up for birds, I have more than a few shotguns people are welcome to borrow and over the years I have accumulated more upland shotgun shells than I know what to do with
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've got plenty of gear if you need to borrow any but if you have a thick pair of pants, some good walking boots, an orange vest, and a shotgun you are pretty much set..  

I know some EBR guys don't have a shotgun set up for birds, I have more than a few shotguns people are welcome to borrow and over the years I have accumulated more upland shotgun shells than I know what to do with
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya the only shotgun I have is my mossberg 930 spx and I don't think that would be ideal
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:44:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ya the only shotgun I have is my mossberg 930 spx and I don't think that would be ideal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be honest there are worse choices for the grouse woods.  

I prefer an improved and skeet choke for grouse with a gun that has 26" or 28" barrels but the shorter barrels on your mossberg won't be a hindrance in the grouse woods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top