Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2014 8:55:51 PM EDT
I'm thinking about going over to the Sisters-Bend area later this next week.  Anyone know of some places where I can get out to 800 yards or so safely and not come home with a ticket.  It would be nice to camp and call in some coyotes too!  I have heard of China Hat and there is a lot of open space out there but figure a lot of it is private.  I have never ventured off the main highways out there but would like to give it a try.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#1]
No coyote calling here, but...

COSSA - 20 mi east of town. When will you be around? I travel for work, but if early in the week, I'd take you. I can't hit shit past 500 yards but would love to watch.

Central Oregon Shooting Sports Association.   C.O.S.S.A

COSSA

Also, some spots in the Ochoco Forest past Prineville might work

ETA - If visiting later in July, I'll be out there with my kids shooting at the end of the month. They are working on some merit badges.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Scratch my last reply. The camping at COSSA is limited and not great if you are looking for 1) Shade or 2) solitude or 3 water.

China Hat area is not bad. Lots of ATV/Jeep trails out there, a bit on the dusty side, but plenty of dispersed sites available. Off the top of my head I can't think of an 800 yard place to shoot, but there are a couple of good pits out there that might provide that distance.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry I guess I didn't have notification enabled.  If I go it will be closer to the weekend so might not work.  I have more time off at the end of the month maybe then.  I'll have some 260 loaded by then.  You'll have no problem banging those gongs at 1000.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#4]
BTW, if someone does know a place that meets the criteria of my OP or can point me in a general direction I know all about keeping it to myself.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]

We are out on the Crooked River Hwy. toward Brothers. Be aware that the fire season is in full swing. FMJ rounds hitting rock or even just hard pan will generate sparks.

Some the fires from last season in our area were started by shooters. If BLM connects you to the wild fire you pay the bill.

I believe the gong range at COSSA is shut down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top